Rain riding after dark

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Rain riding after dark

Post by honkerman »

Had a surprise ride home in the rain tonight. Prompted some thinking about safe riding in the rain in the dark.

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2015/08 ... iding.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Rain riding after dark

Post by iceman »

I ride to work at 2-4am (365/yr) and home at 6pm (365/yr) but being in London the roads have some form of lighting and the LED lights are great!
Many hate the stock tyres - even in the dry!, but at least three frequent posters on this forum, all in the UK, have no issue with them or riding in the rain (and two colleagues on motorcycles ar work ride 365/yr and they too have no problems). You just need to ride for the conditions - yes roads get slippery, yes pot holes, oil, gravel, etc is bad - just ride safety, slow down when needed, or slow down on turns before accelerating away - unless your really unlucky you will be fine.
I've been riding my PCX on IRC's for almost 1.5 years, rain or shine, throughout winter, heavy downpours, no trouble at all - this is in heavy London traffic up hills, down hills (rear brake is crap on PCX in my opinion compared to Honda Lead), and tight bends on hills (almost 90 deg's uphill at lights) - no problems.
The only issue I have with rain and winter is the crap deposited on the bike - rims and engine as roads are not cleaned anymore (in my area) and all that crap gets thrown up onto the poor PCX.
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Simon0867 »

I'd read up a lot on the PCX before deciding to buy it. The only concern I had were the tyres which were critisised by some for their lack of grip in the wet.
Living in Scotland riding in the wet is a year round possibility and although I've only had the bike a short time it has already been out on damp days.
I can't say I've had any issues at all, even on cobbled streets which can be dangerous whatever the weather.
As long as you adapt your riding to the conditions, keep your speed down and take turns cautiously then you should be fine.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A pinlock visor insert is a very worthwhile purchase for these conditions, it means you can leave the visor fully shut without any fogging so you only have rain drops on the outside of the visor to contend with.
IMO its even worth buying a new helmet to get this facility, the difference it makes is massive.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Prehistoric_Dog
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by Prehistoric_Dog »

I have found a set of tyres that are kicking up a bit of a storm here in Germany. All the tests I have read so far seem very promising. http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/produc ... intec.html
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Unfortunately not available in PCX sizes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Prehistoric_Dog
Color: red

Post by Prehistoric_Dog »

I am sure they will be. Metzler have stated that they want to make a lot more sizes avalible.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Currently they're not, who can tell what the future may hold...
A concern with winter tyres is they may wear out at an alarming rate in warmer weather.
The situation in Germany regarding winter tyres is pretty unique which is the real reason for the big interest in winter tyres there.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

30% of my riding is in rain. And another 30% is in dark. The IRC tires are excellent. People do not know what they are talking about because there is no way that they can ever really compare tires A-B-A-B. If Michelin would ever make the Pilot Road 4 for scooters we would really have an advanced tire. But would we pay for it?
I would never own any helmet without a good pin lock inner visor that is made for the helmet that will not leak. They totally eliminate all fogging.
A good windshield helps if you ride at speed if you can get one that you can peek just over the top of. I had to modify a Givi to reach back to me to get the magic blow dryer clearing effect where rain blows straight down off my visor from the wind curl when tucked down right over the top of it.
Auxilliary lighting is also a bonus but it is hard to find anything with a suitably tight beam pattern and sharp vertical cut off.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Interestingly enough, I've found the stock tires on mine to be adequate for rain riding. Of course, I'm always careful how quickly I take corners anyway, and I'll admit that the PCX requires slower cornering around sharp turns than my previous scooter, but I think that's more the characteristics of the scooter than the tires. I did like the tires on my Kymco. They were very grippy and had tread that looked like shallow dirt-bike tread, not nearly a knobby tire, but very effective.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

I have stock tires on my PCX and frequently ride in the rain. I take precautions. I find no fault in the tires. They work. And this is in crazy Bangkok traffic.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

wangsuda wrote:I have stock tires on my PCX and frequently ride in the rain. I take precautions. I find no fault in the tires. They work. And this is in crazy Bangkok traffic.

Indeed, they are Dunlops. I found them to be capable, even in the wet. The only time I've had them slip was on gravel, and that's going to happen no matter what tire you're using. Even knobbies will slip on gravel.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

The IRC's are lethal in the rain when cornering even at low speeds. The back end kicks out all the time from 20mph+
Jquinones961
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jquinones961 »

After a year of riding with stock tires on my pcx I upgraded to Pirelli diablo scooter tires on front and back and instantaneously I felt confidence leaning into turns and how the bike handles in rain here in new jersey.. im shocked reading stories of you guys riding in snow and such? anyone know of a good winter tire for the pcx? im curious... my stock dunlops wound up getting weird cracks on the sidewall after like only a few uses... smh.. well all you guys be safe.
Jersey Johnny
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The Pirelli's might be stickier than the IRC. I haven't tried them. The Michelins last longer but are not stickier than the IRC's.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I wonder why there are vast differences in peoples opinions of the same tyre - even in the same country with the same weather conditions, so should rule out manufacturing differences across the globe.

Many hate the IRC and say they are lethal, others say they have no trouble with them in bad conditions. Even a bike mag praised IRC's above other makes.

If they really are 'lethal' as people say - why would Honda fit them and open themselves up to lawsuits.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

iceman wrote:I wonder why there are vast differences in peoples opinions of the same tyre - even in the same country with the same weather conditions, so should rule out manufacturing differences across the globe.

Many hate the IRC and say they are lethal, others say they have no trouble with them in bad conditions. Even a bike mag praised IRC's above other makes.

If they really are 'lethal' as people say - why would Honda fit them and open themselves up to lawsuits.
The tires that came on mine are Dunlop TT900A's. They seem fine in all weather. I can't speak for the IRC's, but your question has merit. I'd have to wonder about road conditions in the area beyond just rain if any tire is slipping at 20 mph around a corner. I've had that happen at higher speeds, but it seems Honda really would be asking for it if the tires are that bad.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

You have to know how to ride. Any long lasting tire will break loose in the rear if you are rough on it.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

In fine misty rain my IRC's broke traction at less than 30kph when cornering. Not a good feeling. No problem in heavier rain, so maybe all tyres would have the same problem in those conditions. As I've only ridden on IRC's it's not really possible to make a comparison.

My next tyres will most likely be the Pirelli Diablos as Michelins aren't available in Oz.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

JohnL wrote:In fine misty rain my IRC's broke traction at less than 30kph when cornering. Not a good feeling. No problem in heavier rain, so maybe all tyres would have the same problem in those conditions. As I've only ridden on IRC's it's not really possible to make a comparison.

My next tyres will most likely be the Pirelli Diablos as Michelins aren't available in Oz.
There's your reason...It's not just your tires. It's the nature of the way the oils on the road interact with water when the first drops of rain hit the road surface. Here's one of many articles I found on the subject.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/20 ... y_fir.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube