First ride on pcx150 - rear tire "squirm"

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mstram

First ride on pcx150 - rear tire "squirm"

Post by mstram »

Greetings all,

I just had my first pcx150 ride (or any scooter or motorcycle ride) Aug 8th at the Honda "Rock The Red" / Get your feet wet event here in Toronto. It was great fun !

Only wish the riding area had been slightly bigger (~100 x 100 ft), ~15 mph max (heh especially with 10 other bikes in that area at a time !).

I noticed while turning, and gently applying some throttle (not much due to the area size), that it felt that the rear tire was "squirming". Almost felt like it might have been under inflated ?

Again, my first scooter / pcx150 ride, so maybe it was normal, my imagination ?

I'm looking forward to another test ride, or possibly owning my own, to find out for sure :)

Mike
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: First ride on pcx150 - rear tire "squirm"

Post by Jge64 »

No squirm on my new 150 , it lays into a turn with a nice steady feel and stock shocks. With YSS shocks, its even better, easy $100 upgrade.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

If you're a heavy guy, you might want to bring the pressure up to 33 PSI on the rear tire.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Valiant, the PCX rear (IRC) stock tire should be set at 33lbs as per Honda specs. The front (IRC) stock tire at 29lbs. I'm not heavy and my IRC tires are set to spec, no more no less.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

3k miles on my PCX CityGrips also, I ride with 33-34 in the back. Rides fine, just got back from a 60mile (30-30) trip to pickup some PC parts, in the "mostly sunny" day today, which turned out to be very wet! not a single squirm!
aka DrewJW
mstram

Post by mstram »

Well I am only guessing that the tire was under inflated.

I only weigh 160 lbs.

Have any of you deliberately or accidentally, broke the rear wheel free with "some" throttle ? If so how much throttle?

In my case, it was travelling at ~10 mph, which was basically the throttle just cracked open, and I was giving it what felt like ~ 1/4 inch of rotation. Enough where I could feel a bit of acceleration. Was picking up maybe ~5 mph.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have ridden mine with a low tire without knowing it, and it did feel like it was going to come off of the rim when I made turns. I noticed it right away and pulled into a gas station to check it. The reason that it was low was probably because of the sudden change in temperature outside. I think it was cool outside that morning. In any case, after increasing the tire pressure it rode fine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

As soon as I see my line in a turn, I typically go to WOT. I weigh about 155 and have never had the stock tire break loose. On decent, dry pavement there just isn't enough power for that. These things are so composed that it's easy to get cocky on them. Ride safe (not like me)(HAH!).
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

As others have indicated, under-inflation can definitely give that squirming feeling. road conditions can also play a part. I haven't run into that yet with the PCX, but on my old Sabre (a 750cc brute), I'd lose the back wheel a bit on wet roads with a bit of mud or debris on them. Had it happen once or twice with my previous scoot as well, but usually only when the rear tire was close to needing replacement.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mstram wrote:Well I am only guessing that the tire was under inflated.

I only weigh 160 lbs.

Have any of you deliberately or accidentally, broke the rear wheel free with "some" throttle ? If so how much throttle?

In my case, it was travelling at ~10 mph, which was basically the throttle just cracked open, and I was giving it what felt like ~ 1/4 inch of rotation. Enough where I could feel a bit of acceleration. Was picking up maybe ~5 mph.

Your 9 or 10 hp is an universe away from causing on gas high sides

Dream on :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

Bit of wee down my pants......
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
mstram wrote:Well I am only guessing that the tire was under inflated.

I only weigh 160 lbs.

Your 9 or 10 hp is an universe away from causing on gas high sides

Dream on :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

Bit of wee down my pants......
Oh let's go with it

Doesn't anyone wish the pcx had traction control. Dangerous without it. What was Mr Honda thinking about...

Idiot.