Brakes

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Brakes

Post by Branyers14 »

The brakes on the Forza are fantastic. Very smooth and effective. But I saw someone post something about how the pads wear out quickly. Is this an isolated incident?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Brakes

Post by Mister Paul »

Branyers14 wrote:The brakes on the Forza are fantastic. Very smooth and effective. But I saw someone post something about how the pads wear out quickly. Is this an isolated incident?
Some have apparently having problems with the rear caliper sticking and the pads subsequently wearing too quickly. Mine is fine.
phantom309

Post by phantom309 »

sometimes it's down to smaller wheels an the dirt they spray around in the bad / wet weather ...gets in the calipers. an old problem with scooters...
having an adventure before dementia !!!!!!!
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

When I check the bike over (oil, etc.), I usually check wheel-to-bike integrity and turning them freely. You could just check every so often when you're doing other functional checks. Can't hurt.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

The problem with the rear brake caliper on the Forza is that you cannot even check the wear on the brake pads without taking off the silencer (muffler). As it is, maintenance of the rear brake caliper is often neglected.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

According to the manual you're supposed to be able to check the pad wear from underneath, but I simply cannot figure out how to see it well enough to accurately assess the wear.
As mentioned keep turning the wheel by hand to check for sticky caliper and keep an eye on the left lever fluid level.
If it gets low its because the pads have worn or the fluid is leaking.
No fluid leaks = the pads are worn.

Caliper sticks because here in the UK roads are salted for three months or more every year.
Recently many road maintenance departments have been using a molasses and salt mix which sticks on like glue.
And the sugary salty spray gets in absolutely everywhere.
The caliper parts are made of different metals and set each other off on a corrosion war.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Branyers14 »

gn2 wrote:According to the manual you're supposed to be able to check the pad wear from underneath, but I simply cannot figure out how to see it well enough to accurately assess the wear.
As mentioned keep turning the wheel by hand to check for sticky caliper and keep an eye on the left lever fluid level.
If it gets low its because the pads have worn or the fluid is leaking.
No fluid leaks = the pads are worn.

Caliper sticks because here in the UK roads are salted for three months or more every year.
Recently many road maintenance departments have been using a molasses and salt mix which sticks on like glue.
And the sugary salty spray gets in absolutely everywhere.
The caliper parts are made of different metals and set each other off on a corrosion war.
That sounds like a nightmare. As one who likes to keep his vehicles well maintained, I do not believe I would fare well there.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Is it possible to see the "rear-underneath" with a good light and a mirror on a stick?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I couldn't.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong