PCX and SMAX Scootout

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

PCX and SMAX Scootout

Post by tbln930 »

PCX and SMAX Scootout.... My 2013 does about 75 mph w/ upgrade but they rate pretty closely in this report.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/hi ... _now_may15
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: PCX and SMAX Scootout

Post by Jge64 »

I looked long and hard at the S Max, I like the rear brake and I like the mono shock idea. However it just didn't have the looks when you stand back and look at both bikes side-by-side.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Interesting they gave the Smax the (slightly) higher score. The list of pro's and con's at the bottom make the PCX look a bit better to me. I didn't know they made use of the key shutter mandatory for 2015 and that they also they took the top speed down 7mph. I'll keep my 2013 quite a while longer. Substantial MPG penalty on the Yami, too. Thanks for the link.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

0.4% Difference. Nice--no offense to either advertiser.

Real difference though is this: "If you want to ride on the highway at all, the SMAX will have you spending less time watching your rear-view mirrors than the Honda."
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

The SMax is really tight on legroom. The forward foot position is useless. The other odd thing I didn't like about the SMax, you can feel the fuel sloshing around in the high tank which makes it feel wobbly and inaccurate around town. The engine nand trans are really nice though. It revs like a PCX with lighter weights.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

tbln930 wrote:they rate pretty closely in this report.
Some very dubious ratings for the PCX I thought.
In the power and torque categories the PCX is rated at 100% despite the fact that it is considerably slower than the Yamaha.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong