How long have you been scooting?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TwoWheelers
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Re: How long have you been scooting?

Post by TwoWheelers »

dergav wrote:Originally back in 1966 when I had a Vespa 90..but of course moved onto a car in1970/71.. Came back 5 years ago when approaching retirement with a honda 125cc Swing..and 12 months ago the Forza..best move since retiring
I'm with you in 1966 with the Honda Trail 90 step through whatever motorcycle/scooter/thingy.
Then in 1993 with a Honda Helix.
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

I rode Road Bikes and Mountain Bikes for over 40 years, and LOVED it! FREEDOM on 2-Wheels! On my last Deployment overseas in 1996, three Shipmates and I brought our bikes with us, and rode around when we were inport. During our 6 month Cruise, we clocked over 650 miles in various countries. Our most memorable, was a week inport Cannes, France. Having two days off, we rode from Cannes, Nice, Monaco, Monte Carlo, up to the Italian Border, then the Mountains. We rode back on the backside of the Mountains, smoking our Brakes. WHAT A BLAST!!!

I have never (and still haven't.....) ridden a Motorcycle, mostly because the opportunity just never seemed to present itself. I always thought they were COOL, but never gave any thought to owning one. When we were Stationed in Bermuda for 6 months during our Deployment in 1981, I often rented Mopeds to tour the island. I had my Road Bike with me, but LOVED the motorized option! I toured the Island many, many times, Riding both Rides, but the Moped was by far the most fun..... and I didn't have to wear spandex shorts and a jersey!

I've been on bicycles since I was 6, and never been without one since. That ended in 2001, when I had a Heart Attack, and had to have By-Pass Surgery. After I healed up good, I got back on my Cannondale Mountain Bike, and couldn't ride around the block! About halfway, I could no longer pull on the handlebars like I used to, for leverage, so I walked it home. My ribcage couldn't handle Riding anymore, after the Surgery. I was totally devastated..... no more 2-Wheel Riding in my future.

Thankfully, in 2006, while I was visiting our daughter in New Orleans, she asked me to take her to a Vespa Dealer, so she could Test-Ride/Buy a Scooter. I thought they were the COOLEST lookin' things I'd ever seen! I was looking at a few on the Showroom Floor, and couldn't figure out how you Shifted them! It had a Clutch on the Left Grip, Front Brake on the Right Grip, but no Brake Pedal, and nothing like a Mountain Bike Shifter anywhere on the handlebar. What the hell??? A Sales Rep asked if I had any questions, and I had a BUNCH!

So..... Clutch Lever was actually a Rear Brake Lever..... No Shifting, as it was a Twist-N-Go Automatic Transmission..... and No Brake pedal, because the Grip Levers WERE the Brakes. NO KIDDIN'???

The 8 hour drive home at the end of the week, had me thinking seriously about Test-Riding one when I got home. I didn't know What Brand, How Big, Where the Dealers were located, absolutely NOTHING! After some Web Research, I located a Dealer about an hour from me (Little did I know at the time... having only lived in town for a year, and interested in Scooters for a WEEK... that there was a Honda Dealer and Suzuki Dealer 3 miles down the road from me... IN TOWN!).

Went to the Dealer, Test-Rode a Red TNG (Twist-N-Go) Verona 150! Fell in love with the Scoot! Bought it that day, and they even delivered an hour from my house!

Well..... EDUCATION is a WONDERFUL thing, when you know how to SEARCH the web a little better. After having multiple problems with the TNG, I sold it to a local Vespa Dealer, that also sold the TNG's on the side. Took that money, and bought a Kymco (I RESEARCHED those...) People S200 (163cc), and it was GREAT! However, each year after that, I was Trading Up..... Kymco People S250, Burgman 400, and then more Medical problems stopped me in my tracks for a couple of years in 2009.

I weened myself back into Scootin' again in 2011, first with a Honda Ruckus 50..... moved up to a Yamaha Zuma 125..... Up again to a Kymco People GTI-300..... found a Low Mileage Used Honda Big Ruckus 250..... and Traded it for a Honda Forza 300 this week. Once I get over some Medical Down-Time after Surgery earlier this week, (Down for a month...), I'll be taking the Forza for a long awaited Ride! CAN'T WAIT!

And that's my Story(ies)!

THANKS FOR READING... if you made it this far! Image

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Attachments
evolve's.jpg
evolve's.jpg (20.68 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

Same here Homie!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Great story BlackBeard and yes I did read it all :D

I've been scooting for less than a month. I did have a moped during my college years but my PCX is technically my first scooter - and is basically a midlife crisis toy to putz around suburbia and commute on sunny days. I previously rode a 2013 Ninja 300 which was a great bike but I found myself using it less and less primarily cuz it lacked any storage. I realized I would get far more use out of a scooter and I like the laid back "vibe" one gets from riding a scooter - much different than riding a sport bike.

I did some research online and saw the rave reviews of the versatile PCX 125/150 and the nice new features on the '15 like the LED lights and bigger fuel tank and decided to take a PCX for a test ride. I found a used '13 that I could test and was very impressed - so much so that I traded in my Ninja for my '15 PCX. Right now I have to go pay my pool guy several hundred dollars for installing a new pump this past week but you know what? I couldn't be happier because it gives me an excuse to go ride my scooter :D
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

13 years. First LOVE was Aprilia Leonardo 150 ST (~76.000km) and now the Honda Forza 300 with ~21.500km. Getting close to the 100.000km!
Attachments
Aprilia Leonardo.jpg
Aprilia Leonardo.jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 509 times