Comparing Forzas performances...

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Comparing Forzas performances...

Post by dergav »

I don’t suppose many members of this Forum will have had the opportunity of riding different Forzas for a period of time so as to compare...so I thought my experience may be of interest
Following my accident, and as it was no fault of mine, I have been provided with a hire bike while my Forza is being repaired...and the replacement hire bike is a Forza..slightly different age ( for UK owners mine is a 14 plate the hire one a 63 plate so not a lot of age difference) and similar mileage done....mine 4800 mls ...Hire Forza slightly less. Have had it a week now and been out a few times.
First of all let me comment that I am delighted with my Forza and its performance since I bought it new a year ago.
Differences noticed ...(1) Hire Forza seems more responsive. I am very happy at my bikes acceleration response but this hire bike seems even better...(2) sharper breaking on the hire bike. Again I am happy with my bikes braking but this one is sharper...(3) slightly worse fuel consumption on the hire bike but only 3 or 4 MPG so hardly worth mentioning...(4) the seat on the hire bike stays up!!...must ask them what they have done.
However the most noticeable difference is in the suspension..There is a rutted uneven section of side road near where I live and on my bike I get bumped around and really feel every bump particularly from the front suspension. I had just accepted that as being a “scooter thing" .However on this hire Forza it is not nearly as bad..still bumpy but I don’t get the hard jarring . I am now wondering why that might be as I would like to see if I can get my bikes suspension as good as this Hired Forza.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Re: Comparing Forzas performances...

Post by BRed »

all of the things you mention add up to just one thing (in my mind).....
it sounds like the loaner Forza has led a harsher, harder existence than your own?

most of the checkpoints on your list sound like the result of a hard fast break-in....
so smoother edges at lower miles, mostly because the mixed assortment of riders didn't care about durability (or a proper break-in) and they rode it hard and put it up wet!

oddly enough, Hondas, more so than most bikes, seem to actually thrive on that sort of rough handed use
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

interesting...so I am being too gentle with my Forza!?..treat them rough and you get better returns?...now where have I heard that before?...
" chauvinist pig" I hear?...
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

interesting...so I am being too gentle with my Forza!?..treat them rough and you get better returns?...now where have I heard that before?...
" chauvinist pig" I hear?...
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

well, not necessarily better but faster....
yours, too, will get there with time.

not all fast, hard break in results are positive.

but I do believe (based strictly on riders' descriptions of their break in procedures posted on these pages) that many riders ARE too gentle, too slow and too loooong..... in their break-in
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mine's done 20,000 miles its slower now than it was when new.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

thats me!! I have been far too soft with my bike...too gentle and caring...when it comes back its going to get a good talking to...and things will change.
but thanks for the response . I am sure you are 100% correct..
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

If you find out why the "Hire" Forza rides better then your, LET US KNOW! My only complaint with my 2014 Forza is that the ride is to hard...unacceptably so over sharp bumps.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Every bike me needs a good flogging every now and then. If you don't exercise the high end of all the power train/gear, it does not go there as easily. JMO, as a fac rep for both Honda and BMW.

Mine gets spirited driving about once a month.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
TwoWheelers
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by TwoWheelers »

SteveP wrote:If you find out why the "Hire" Forza rides better then your, LET US KNOW! My only complaint with my 2014 Forza is that the ride is to hard...unacceptably so over sharp bumps.
When I carry the wifester back there, the ride is much smoother.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:Mine's done 20,000 miles its slower now than it was when new.
Have you replaced the variator and the outer pulley in that time?
It's a consumable part that wears and performance will drop of...
Jockay
Year: 2019 Forza 300
Color: Blue

Post by Jockay »

Hi Dergav.

Re your supension harshness problem.

When I got my Forza I found the suspension to be way too harsh almost to the extent of wondering if I had made a wrong decision in buying the Forza.

I found that the previous owner had set the rear shock at the highest position i.e. position No 5 so I decided to try them at setting no 4 however I just could not access to the RHS shock adjuster with the C spanner tool provided so I took the F back to the dealer who adjusted it down for me and explained that by loosening off the three muffler bolts the RHS shock could more easily be accessed and gave me a note of the torque settings for future refernce.

Anyway the ride was much more enjoyable but I still felt it was a bit too harsh so next day I loosened off the muffler and adjusted both shocks down to setting No 3 and I have not looked back since as all AOK for me and she still handles great.

So it could be a shock adjustment thing with your own F - One setting up or down seems to make a significant difference for such a small adjstment.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:Have you replaced the variator and the outer pulley in that time?
It's a consumable part that wears and performance will drop of...
It gets serviced by the dealer according to the maintenance schedule, so no.
Despite having lost a few mph at the top end it remains perfectly OK for my needs.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Hi jockey...thanks.Had played around with the rear suspension when I first got bike but must do so again when I get it back. However my real problem is with the front suspension which is much better on hire forza than on mine..and not sure why that is..
Jockay
Year: 2019 Forza 300
Color: Blue

Post by Jockay »

dergav wrote:Hi jockey...thanks.Had played around with the rear suspension when I first got bike but must do so again when I get it back. However my real problem is with the front suspension which is much better on hire forza than on mine..and not sure why that is..
My front suspension, when depressed, makes a squeaking noise, which is getting worse and especially when bars are turned to the right otherwise I think it is OK so I am now wondering if there might be a forthcoming issue especially after having read another post where someone was having problems with stiff front suspension.