talk SilverWing to.me please

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: talk SilverWing to.me please

Post by fish »

roc54 wrote:Fish, I've heard very little negative about the Burg 400. By most accounts, it's an excellent, and easy to maintain, machine. If I get to the point of replacing the SWing in the future (assuming Honda does not start producing them again), the B400 would be its most likely replacement. There's a kazillion of them around and a very large information base about them.

Burgman USA website: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php

Also, if you go on YouTube, do searches for Burgman 400 and Mic Bergsma (he's a guy who posts many videos about scooter maintenance and he did a bunch on the Burgman 400).
I think you'll be quite pleased with the B400...
First impression was "industrial sounding and vibrating" when coming off the Forza in comparison. Matt colors only available - for a guy who likes to polish his bike.
So, when it "feels/sounds" rough and ain't shiny....it's going to have to grow on me.
Probably just symptoms of a bigger thumper.
Kids like the matt finish....but I'm a great grandfather.
Still enjoying scooter riding! :-)(but no excuse for the silly method required just to check the oil: hold 1/4 ton scooter upright and squat to look at the oil window. Seniors don't do squats.)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had a Burgman 400 for about 2 years and it was a real joy to ride. As for checking the oil, after doing that every time I rode for the first 3 months I reached a point of trust where I only checked it before and after a long ride. They have a reputation for losing some oil when you ride it over 70 mph for an extended time (hours) on a freeway. The newer ones lose much less oil, but if you plan on taking a long ride at high speeds make sure you check your oil before and after the ride. Otherwise, it is one of the best rides I have ever had.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:silly method required just to check the oil: hold 1/4 ton scooter upright and squat to look at the oil window. Seniors don't do squats.)
Put it on the centrestand.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:
fish wrote:silly method required just to check the oil: hold 1/4 ton scooter upright and squat to look at the oil window. Seniors don't do squats.)
Put it on the centrestand.
Gn, a couple dozen posts on the Burgman forum about the false oil level readings you will get if you do not check the oil window while holding the scoot upright, OFF the center stand and only after waiting 3 minutes after a shut down.
Some use mirrors on a stalk, some mount levels on the dash....some enlist a buddy, etc .
But if you do it wrong you can blow up your engine. Several have...according to an expert Brit Burgman mechanic.
I use a camera on a block of wood, set for delayed snap. Lotsafun.
(and level check is mandatory before/after all long, high speed runs.....so you need to carry your kit for the procedure during driving rains at fuel stops.)
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Check it when level according to your method.
Now that you know the oil content is correct, put it on the centrestand and note where the level now is.
Now you know what to look for when its on the stand.

Or use my preferred method, never check it from one service to the next.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong