Forza 300 - worried I bought a lemon!

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Forza 300 - worried I bought a lemon!

Post by Walrus »

Bought my new 2014 Forza August 2013. Oil light began to stay on, after two trips to Honda dealer they fixed the sticking pressure switch. Honda hotline was aware of the problem in others. Then the fuel pump recall. Now an oil leak. Only 2,100 miles, garage kept, adult gingerly ridden, serviced only by authorized Honda Dealer. Clearly a factory defect and the dealer will tell me what needs to be ordered and fixed tomorrow. I will probably have to pay, but this is without a doubt a factory defect. *sigh* - anybody else know of this many problems on a new Honda. Right now I'm thinking the so called Honda reliability is just a "legend". BTW I have a 13 year old Harley sitting in my garage that has never leaked a drop. Probably will be my last new Honda. I am trying so hard to like this great looking scooter but the issues keep coming.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Re: Forza 300 - worried I bought a lemon!

Post by stryder123 »

Hahaha. I also have the 2014 Forza. It is a great bike. True they did have the minor problems you mentioned but once fixed it will give many years of trouble free service. Honda is aware of the oil leak problem and I think everyone here on the forum that has had that problem has had it fixed under warranty. You will now have all the bugs worked out. Ride and enjoy.
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

I appreciate the optimism, but my understanding is that the warranty is only for 1 year! My year is up, now what?
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

If the folks here have had these issues, I have to ask. Am I expecting too much for a new Honda to not have bugs?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Walrus wrote:If the folks here have had these issues, I have to ask. Am I expecting too much for a new Honda to not have bugs?

As a Harley owner you can't be a stranger to a little exercise now and then.... so it will be with Forza
Attachments
mac6.jpg
mac6.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sad to say Honda reliability is a complete myth.
There is a long history of Honda rushing new models onto the market with inadequate testing.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

Homie, I had to repair a switch on the Harley after 8 years and a brake light after 12. I've had many bikes in 50 years of riding and my Forza is the worst quality control from a new bike I have had. Honda use to stand for something, not anymore for me.
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

I love having a scooter for heading off to play tennis and around the city. Its so nimble and no hot metal to watch out for. The Harley is heavy and hot for those applications. Nobody should be continuously patching up a new scooter. Shame on Honda. No disrespect intended but knowing what I know now I would have bought a Majesty or Burgman instead. Live and learn I suppose.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

In a country consuming foreign products at the rate America does quality control of foreign makers will tests our patients. If not satisfied capitalism will drive the desire for better products from another supplier, or God forbid we get up and make it ourselves again. These days it seems the only domestic products I can rest assure will work and last involve government approval or it's military surplus. Russia made some fine rifles ;)

By design most American mechanical products need to fail at a rate that the maker can sell you another without you're not too upset and you wanted newer features anyway. American companies have mastered this concept. As for foreign products a good balance will be struck if we tax the crap out of their imports. With the exception of China who gambled America billions of our own money back in loans China now prays we don't ever stop consuming and it's in their best interest to make products America tolerates. World markets in full play... FUN! Unfortunately the Arabs have little to offer but a fuel pump to the world and that's looking like something Americans can work around if they continue to irritate other countries. Wow! that's NOT decaf... SHUT UP HOMIE!

But in the case of Honda Forza I too have seen enough in this forum. Maybe time to move on, cut your loss, sell to someone like me who enjoys tinkering and get a PCX... RUNS LIKE A RADIO!
Attachments
mac.jpg
mac.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:In a country consuming foreign products at the rate America does quality control of foreign makers will tests our patients. If not satisfied capitalism will drive the desire for better products from another supplier, or God forbid we get up and make it ourselves again. These days it seems the only domestic products I can rest assure will work and last involve government approval or it's military surplus. Russia made some fine rifles ;)

By design most American mechanical products need to fail at a rate that the maker can sell you another without you're not too upset and you wanted newer features anyway. American companies have mastered this concept. As for foreign products a good balance will be struck if we tax the crap out of their imports. With the exception of China who gambled America billions of our own money back in loans China now prays we don't ever stop consuming and it's in their best interest to make products America tolerates. World markets in full play... FUN! Unfortunately the Arabs have little to offer but a fuel pump to the world and that's looking like something Americans can work around if they continue to irritate other countries. Wow! that's NOT decaf... SHUT UP HOMIE!

But in the case of Honda Forza I too have seen enough in this forum. Maybe time to move on, cut your loss, sell to someone like me who enjoys tinkering and get a PCX... RUNS LIKE A RADIO!
Did you mean patience or your friends in the cuckoos nest?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:Did you mean patience or your friends in the cuckoos nest?
You bust me on spelling every time :lol: You actually provide a service that I'm sure my customers appreciate. If nothing else you do that!

Ok time to ride... holiday weekend, bunch of crazy's will be out there blowing stuff up tomorrow.
Attachments
mac3.jpg
mac3.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

Goodness gracious! I didn't intend to spark a political science debate or settle complex world economic situations. I just wanted to share my personal experience with this Forza thing. Honda has apparently cut cost by lowering their quality control. The same that Harley did in the 70's under AMF corporation. The end result is that those Harleys were terrible unreliable junk and that's how they got their reputation. Harley fixed its problems when the employees helped buy the corporation back. They make great machines these days and have for the past 20 years or so. They are just different than scooters. I'm glad I kept my old one so that I have something to ride while my new Honda stays in the shop for repair so often. Honda is resting on its old reputation for quality and now selling hit or miss junk. This is what happens when you save money by being cheap on your quality control. You might get a good one and you might get a bad one. I won't take a chance again on a new Honda. Fool me twice, shame on me. As Huckabee says, that's my view, I welcome yours.
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

I called the Honda shop today and they informed me they have ordered parts to repair the Forza. If I had wanted to tinker I would have bought another old bike. I completed rebuilding a 1972 Honda CL 350 earlier this year and sold it. It had fewer reliability issues than my new scooter. If I wanted a new bike to work on I would have bought one of the Indian made Royal Enfields. I hear you can expect to work on them while still new. I didn't expect that with Honda. Anybody want to buy a Forza in East Tennessee?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Walrus wrote:Goodness gracious! I didn't intend to spark a political science debate
Don't worry, its a scooter forum on the internet, talking shite is what its for!

I'm falling out of love with my Forza as warranty inspection number four draws near.
Its a p.i.t.a. having to take it in.
To be fair the dealer has provided excellent customer service thus far.

But..... given that depreciation on my £4500 2013 Forza 300 is likely running around 60% or more, I would have been as well buying a Chinese made 250 for £1900, ride it two years and throw it in a skip.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

Walrus, keep us up-to-date on your repairs. Many of us who ride a PCX are thinking of buying a Forza 300. Let us know the cost of the fixes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:Did you mean patience or your friends in the cuckoos nest?
You bust me on spelling every time :lol: You actually provide a service that I'm sure my customers appreciate. If nothing else you do that!

Ok time to ride... holiday weekend, bunch of crazy's will be out there blowing stuff up tomorrow.

It wasn't spelling it was a different word. But I appreciate your good humour. Humor? :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Walrus wrote:Goodness gracious! I didn't intend to spark a political science debate or settle complex world economic situations. I just wanted to share my personal experience with this Forza thing. Honda has apparently cut cost by lowering their quality control. The same that Harley did in the 70's under AMF corporation. The end result is that those Harleys were terrible unreliable junk and that's how they got their reputation. Harley fixed its problems when the employees helped buy the corporation back. They make great machines these days and have for the past 20 years or so. They are just different than scooters. I'm glad I kept my old one so that I have something to ride while my new Honda stays in the shop for repair so often. Honda is resting on its old reputation for quality and now selling hit or miss junk. This is what happens when you save money by being cheap on your quality control. You might get a good one and you might get a bad one. I won't take a chance again on a new Honda. Fool me twice, shame on me. As Huckabee says, that's my view, I welcome yours.

OK.

Harley's are excrement throwbacks and an an anachronism ( might buy one later in life because of this, who knows :D ) When I turn gay.

Hondas aren't the most reliable Japanese bikes, they are the least reliable.

Any Japanese bike is better put together and engineered than a BMW

The PCX is the right bike at the right time, the Forza will never be a classic

Please don't be offended. Your views
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:In a country consuming foreign products at the rate America does quality control of foreign makers will tests our patients. If not satisfied capitalism will drive the desire for better products from another supplier, or God forbid we get up and make it ourselves again. These days it seems the only domestic products I can rest assure will work and last involve government approval or it's military surplus. Russia made some fine rifles ;)

Did you mean patience or your friends in the cuckoos nest?
Agree. :lol: Too funny! I caught that too and wondered the same...patient or patience. Made me think "One Might Have Flown The Nest" :D Afterall, them Boyz have shipped off before (as patient's). What fun!

I like this homie: PCX'S run like a Radio! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

Yes I know Harleys are old hat, but these big vibrating beasts have a type of riding fun that you really can't get on anything else, and they are so cool at bike night around the city. Scooters are a different breed of fun and I love them also. And ol "Miserable" on a scooter is calling riding a Harley gay?
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Between the PCX and the Forza, the one I regret buying is the PCX. The PCX was a toy with limited usability. The Forza is a workhorse, over 13,000 miles in less than two years with no issues. My bike is part of the fuel pump recall, but I haven't had it in for replacement yet. I don't think there is anything wrong with the pump but I'll let them give me a new one now that they've had time to practice on other peoples bikes.