Gone..

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Gone..

Post by Scottish »

So I woke up to the Police knocking on my door telling me my bike had been nicked last night, 3 young guys apparently broke the steering lock hot wired it and buggered off on it between 12 and 1am, I was planning on selling to get a 300 Forza but that's probably not going to happen now as the PCX was not chained up, I'm assuming I wont get any insurance..
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Gone..

Post by Mister Paul »

Scottish wrote:So I woke up to the Police knocking on my door telling me my bike had been nicked last night, 3 young guys apparently broke the steering lock hot wired it and buggered off on it between 12 and 1am, I was planning on selling to get a 300 Forza but that's probably not going to happen now as the PCX was not chained up, I'm assuming I wont get any insurance..
It depends whether you'd told the insurance company you'd be using a lock.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

No lock = no insurance. That's rough. In the U.S., insurance will typically pay regardless but will likely get it back in the form of increased rates later. Good luck to you.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Does engaging the steering lock not count as being 'locked' in the UK?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

kramnala58 wrote:Does engaging the steering lock not count as being 'locked' in the UK?
Not sure, I could just lie and say it was chained and see what they say..
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Don't buy from insurance company if they have stupid rules that let them off the hook for degree of difficulty it is for thief to steal. Sounds like this insurance company should change its name UBF. Sorry to hear such a terrible story today, I will be pissed all day now.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Who was you covered with?
aka DrewJW
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Scottish wrote:So I woke up to the Police knocking on my door telling me my bike had been nicked last night, 3 young guys apparently broke the steering lock hot wired it and buggered off on it between 12 and 1am, I was planning on selling to get a 300 Forza but that's probably not going to happen now as the PCX was not chained up, I'm assuming I wont get any insurance..
Don't lie. Depending on your insurance, if you were supposed to use a lock then you will get a reduced payment.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

DrewJW wrote:Who was you covered with?
Devitt, I dont expect any joy from them whatsoever.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Never stipulate additional security on a UK insurance proposal.
Its a complete p.i.t.a. having to use extra locks.

For our continental chums, here in the UK when applying for insurance you are asked a while string of questions about what additional security you will be using and where it will be parked.
Additional security items and secure parking can mean reduced premiums.
I always opt for the least secure options i.e. no additional locks or alarms and parked on the street.
That way if the worst does happen, there's no chance for the insurance company to duck out of paying up.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Shed load of assumptions in this thread. Any facts? Apart from a lost bike and the police. I'd suspect them :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:Shed load of assumptions in this thread. Any facts? Apart from a lost bike and the police. I'd suspect them :D
Was this obvious enough :D
Safety Man
Color: Red

Post by Safety Man »

That is horrible news. You really need to be paranoid in today's world in order to secure your belongings properly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Safety Man wrote:That is horrible news. You really need to be paranoid in today's world in order to secure your belongings properly.

Now that is top class sarcasm. If I had a case it would be well rested.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Oh well, they told me the bike was worth £1400 and eventually gave me £1150 which is probably more than I would have got selling it and saved me the repair of the speedo and odometer.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You going to use the £1150 as a deposit on something new and shiny...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I could imagine that the insurance companies over there will soon be asking those same questions for car insurance. Could you imagine everyone carrying these huge chains with them and fighting over who gets to chain their car to a lamp post?! It would be funny in a way, but ridiculous in another.
Insurance company:"Oh, your Mercedes was stolen? Well, did you have it chained to a lamp post with a chain big enough to hold a ship.".."No. Was I suppose to?"...."Well yes. It is in your policy. Line 593, fine fine print."..."But how am I suppose to lift that big of a chain?..or find a lamp post that is close to my house?"...."Sorry. That's your problem. We will pay you no more than £1150 for it. Of course, minus your deductible of, let me see....oh £1000."

AND THE INSURANCE COMPANY WINS AGAIN.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

gn2 wrote:You going to use the £1150 as a deposit on something new and shiny...?
Ideally I want a 300 Forza but i need to move to a better area before I feel comfortable getting another bike.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I know what that's like, I used to live in a flat on the main street in Kirkintilloch and had my bike kicked over on its side a few times.