MPG

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

MPG

Post by Larry David »

Sorry if a thread already exists on this. I would imagine there is one but I can't find it on the first few pages.

I have a Honda PCX 125 and I'm thinking of upgrading it to a Forza 300. The cost of running the bike is always my major consideration and I'm particularly interested in MPG so what I would like to know is how does the Forza 300 compare with the Honda PCX 125 in terms of MPG? I average about 110-120 mpg on my PCX. Will I be able to get this or close to this with a Forza 300?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: MPG

Post by gn2 »

When I had a PCX it ran about 90-100mpg on my commute.
On the same commute, the Forza averages around 77mpg.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... gn2/234829
The 110mpg your PCX gets is a far bigger number than 77mpg but in reality fuel for a Forza costs very little extra.
How many miles a year do you cover?
If its 5000 miles the cost difference is less than £2 a week.
If you pay for dealer servicing and do a reasonable mileage, the Forza is significantly cheaper to run.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

I do about 2500 miles a year. Certainly don't go to a dealer for servicing as you get ripped off.
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Which is the better bike?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you only do 2500 miles a year the weekly difference in fuel cost is negligible.
Overall the Forza is by far the better scooter, but for the cut and thrust of congested inner city traffic, the PCX is more nimble.
You need to assess what your usage pattern is and choose accordingly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

I average 68mpg on the Forza and fill up at the 180 mile mark. Been riding for about a year and roughly average 100 miles/week. Love it.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Mine reads around 80mpg at around 5500 revs.
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

The price difference between the bikes seems a bit disproportionate to me. The Forza looks to be 2-3k more than the PCX which is disappointing.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Larry David wrote:The price difference between the bikes seems a bit disproportionate to me. The Forza looks to be 2-3k more than the PCX which is disappointing.
Maybe consider other 300cc scooters.
The Kymco 300's are as well made and as well reviewed as the Forza, and can be had for quite a bit less OTD.
They get about the same mpg, are easier to service and parts are cheaper. Kymco 300's are made in Taiwan, rather than Thailand......Taiwan made scooters are all of the highest build quality.
Read Kymco 300 reviews.....pretty impressive scooters.
I love my Forza......but no quality Kymco dealer in my area....or I'd own one, with several hundred $ still in my pocket.
Fish
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

fish wrote:
Larry David wrote:The price difference between the bikes seems a bit disproportionate to me. The Forza looks to be 2-3k more than the PCX which is disappointing.
The Kymco 300's are as well made and as well reviewed as the Forza, and can be had for quite a bit less OTD.
They get about the same mpg, are easier to service and parts are cheaper. Kymco 300's are made in Taiwan, rather than Thailand......Taiwan made scooters are all of the highest build quality.
I love my Forza......but no quality Kymco dealer in my area....or I'd own one, with several hundred $ still in my pocket.
Fish
Ok, thanks for that, will check it out. My PCX has been amazing which is why I wanted to stick with the Honda but I don't think my finances can stretch enough for the Forza.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you regularly use fast dual carriageways and/or motorways the price is very definitely worth paying imo.
Looking at the new market
PCX =£2700
Forza= £4600
I make that £1900 more for a Forza.
If you want a faster scooter then a PCX in the UK, a Daelim S3 Advance 250 is as powerful fast and economical as a Forza 300 but at £3300 costs just £600 more than a PCX.

Used market, a Forza can easily be found around three grand, so unless you know somewhere that gives away PCXs for free, a Forza isn't three grand more expensive ;)
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Just had a quick look at the Kymco 300 and it would appear that the riding position is only suitable for shorter riders up to 5ft 9. I'm a little bigger than that so it may not be for me.
navigate40
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

Post by navigate40 »

I am getting a pretty consistent 73mpg, in very mixed riding (local city and some 55 mph roads). Higher mpg with longer stretches at moderate speeds.

Hope this helps
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Larry David wrote:Just had a quick look at the Kymco 300 and it would appear that the riding position is only suitable for shorter riders up to 5ft 9.
Nonsense.
It depends on leg length rather than overall height.
You need to sit on a scooter yourself to know if it will fit you or not.
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Well I'm 5ft 10 and have long legs and a short torso.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

fish wrote:
Fish
The service intervals on a Kwak j300 are 2,500 miles. The Forza are 8,000. That was my decider, as I'm doing 8-10k/year. I guess the Kymco Downtown is the same.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

some of the replies are, naturally, confusing between USA Gallon and a UK/Euro Gallon...( why did we not all agree what a Gallon was when we can agree what a mile is?)
I am in UK and my reading tells me 87 MPG...but I ride fairly conservatively.
Used to get over 100 MPG on last 125cc scooter but as Gn says the weekly cost difference is negligible.
Purchase price and service costs are the main pricing/cost issues ..IMO.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
If you regularly use fast dual carriageways and/or motorways the price is very definitely worth paying imo.
Looking at the new market
PCX =£2700
Forza= £4600
I make that £1900 more for a Forza.
If you want a faster scooter then a PCX in the UK, a Daelim S3 Advance 250 is as powerful fast and economical as a Forza 300 but at £3300 costs just £600 more than a PCX.

Used market, a Forza can easily be found around three grand, so unless you know somewhere that gives away PCXs for free, a Forza isn't three grand more expensive ;)

Good advice, if only the forza was economical. A pcx is less than £3k and is economical. The difference would buy a lifetime of petrol.

Still, it's your opinion. Endorsed on every post by maddiedog
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Good advice, if only the forza was economical. A pcx is less than £3k and is economical. The difference would buy a lifetime of petrol.
£1900 buys you around 30,000 miles of fuel for a PCX.
That's three to six years use, hardly a "lifetime"
But that's not the best way to think of the cost difference...

Assuming 60% depreciation over three years, PCX loses £1620, Forza loses £2760, so the difference is £1140, or put another way, £7.30 a week.
Small price to pay for a scooter which can actually keep up with traffic.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Since I've owned my PCX (May '14) my average fuel cost is less than £0.04 / mile (Fuelly and my own figures) so about 48,000 miles of fuel in my case - good 'ol PCX! Still, if you need proper transport for larger roads/motorways, a 125 is silly (even the new 125 Forza tops out about 75 real mph so no real reserve when near 70) so a 250/300 good reliable ride is a no brainer - whatever it costs to run.