big bore kit

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

big bore kit

Post by dog64bull »

Will a big bore kit alone make my scooter go faster? I really dont know what a big bore kit is but i heard some people talking it and they said that it'll help my scooter cruise at higher speeds. So do any of you have any recommendation as to what big bore kit I should buy?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: big bore kit

Post by Valiant »

The big bore kit technically doesn't make it go faster. It would accelerate faster, especially at higher rpms, but your gearing doesn't change.

For simplicity's sake, I'd recommend the Takegawa 170cc kit. I also don't recommend this mod unless you can do the installation yourself. I've been having nightmare scenarios in having another shop do the install.
Reaper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Reaper »

Yes, I agree with the Valiant's opinion. I am in the same boat with my modding experience, but my scenario turned worse, and now I don't have a bike, I have a parts collection in my garage, I am waiting for a new piston for 2 months and even didn't get the bill to pay yet, mr. supplier seems very busy! :)

I will add that pcx is not stable at high speeds, because of it's wheelbase, suspension, etc..
Just sell the pcx and buy a forza, it will be way better on the highways!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

+1 (it is more stable than many scooters of it's class but still very marginal beyond 60 mph)
Reaper wrote:
I will add that pcx is not stable at high speeds, because of it's wheelbase, suspension, etc..
Just sell the pcx and buy a forza, it will be way better on the highways!
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I agree with most of what has been said, though I think your choices are much wider than just a Forza if you are looking for a larger scooter. For example, I had a Suzuki Burgman 400 that was really meant to carry a passenger while on the freeway, as well as giving a solo rider a very comfortable ride. I traded down from it because my wife and I spend a majority of our riding on back roads, which have an average road speed of 45 to 55, which is where these little scooters excel.
So, first determine what you want your scooter to do most of the time. Then go to a dealer and look at the various scooters they offer. Then look for the best deals on the one you decide on. I bought my Burgman 400 off of Craigslist for a good price. Yes, it was used, but low mileage scooters are everywhere. The one I purchased only had 2 miles on it, even though it was 6 years old. Scooters from name brand companies last up to 200k miles, so if you see one with 10k miles on it, it is still quite young.
Whatever you choose, make sure you can get service for it. Some of the manufacturers have very few authorized service centers.
Hopefully these tips will help you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

If I didn't already have the PCX I might have gone Burgman 400 or Yamaha 400 for my mid-tier scooter or even a 650 (if I were any taller). The Forza and PCX are so similar it makes it nice to work on them. It is still hard to beat the PCX for hauling a capable scooter on a trailer hitch rack. I forget it is on there with the Rage 600 carrier. My hitch tongue has a 525 lb limit so 300 lbs is perfect. Don't get me wrong, though, the Forza is a good scooter for cruising up to 75+. With a passenger it is a bit more limited.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Not sure what many are talking about. PCX is fine at extended highway speeds, even when dealing with mid to strong winds. If you're veering or wobbling you might want to check your alignment.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You won't get ANY more top speed, but you will get more power. You have to upgrade gearing and/or variator to see more speed.

I have a Takegawa 170cc kit on my PCX. The problem is, upgrading gearing doesn't update your speedometer (the variator won't mess that up though). My PCX does 80mph, but indicates 65mph at that speed. Cruising at 55 is actually closer to 65mph now. It still slows down some uphills, since it's still a tiny 170cc scooter.

Whatever your top speed is, just adding the big bore kit with nothing else will mean you get to that top speed faster and maintain it better uphills, but it won't add much (if any) additional speed.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes