Riding 2013 Pcx over weight limit

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ajwmrr
Year: 2014
Color: Red Forza

Riding 2013 Pcx over weight limit

Post by ajwmrr »

According to the manual, 386lbs is the pcx's weight limit. Me and my wife's combined weight is 460lbs. I've tried to look online for any issues riding like this but all I ever find is "its dangerous". So far ride wise, we're fine, maintaining 55mph.

What I want to know is, is there any mechanical or physical drawbacks to this? Is there anything that would fail due to riding like this?
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Re: Riding 2013 Pcx over weight limit

Post by stryder123 »

I think you will find that the main issues will be the decrease in top speed and the rear shocks will bottom out on bumps. The weight limit is more for suspension as a safety thing. Of course the extra weight means extra wear on the drive belt and variator. I have over loaded almost every bike I have ever owned and have not had any severe problems. Honda is well built.
ajwmrr

Post by ajwmrr »

Well, the top speed seems to be the same as if I was by myself, just takes a bit longer to reach it. We only bottomed out once, when we hit a deep pot hole.

Also, I'm not 100% sure but after riding, I check the tire temperatures. The back wheel is much hotter than the front...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Suspesion, wheel and steering bearings and frame will all have increased wear and increased possibility of premature failure.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You can't brake as fast either.

Me + my wife on our PCX is just over 300lbs, and braking is scary enough with that. Make sure you leave lots of stopping room.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I put my teenage grandson on the back of my PCX, along with some groceries, and the one major thing I noticed right away was brake fade. It takes a lot longer distance to come to a full stop when you are up to speed, plus if you do a lot of stop and go in traffic you will soon notice brake fade as the brakes start to overheat. Also, there is a requirement in the manual...and on the plaque on the bike...that the tire pressure must be increased when riding two up. I also noticed that the variator area was quite hot once we arrived home. I am going to guess that the belt is going to wear quite a bit faster if you ride over the weigh limit for an extended amount of time. ...and there is also that clutch bearing issue on some of the scooters.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ajwmrr

Post by ajwmrr »

Havent really noticed much in terms of brake fade. We mainly ride WOT back roads.

The biggest issue i've noticed is that the back tire gets really hot. Should i increase the back air pressure? Seems considering how hot its running, it'd be dangerous to add more...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Suspesion, wheel and steering bearings and frame will all have increased wear and increased possibility of premature failure.

Scary

Where does the frame wear?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Where does the frame wear?
In places you can't see without expensive NDT kit.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

You're running roughly 20% over the max weight limit the PCX is safely designed to carry.

Doing that is probably not going to result in the planet's imminent destruction, but it's a significant percentage beyond the design limits. Let's assume that the Honda engineers built in a 20% fudge factor, and picked a published weight limit lower than what the PCX should carry just to be on the safe side. You'd be at the ragged edge of what they thought the machine could withstand even assuming a 20% built in safety margin beyond the official limit.

Probably not the best idea, but maybe not world ending.
'88 BMW R100RT
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeeGusKahn »

ajwmrr wrote:According to the manual, 386lbs is the pcx's weight limit. Me and my wife's combined weight is 460lbs. I've tried to look online for any issues riding like this but all I ever find is "its dangerous". So far ride wise, we're fine, maintaining 55mph.

What I want to know is, is there any mechanical or physical drawbacks to this? Is there anything that would fail due to riding like this?
Everything is relative to what you want or need.
fun mc family business url.jpg
fun mc family business url.jpg (208.9 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Is this an overload or what ?
Sean, who loves Hi-Vis everything.
2013 Red PCX150 - NCY V and DF, 11 g rollers, stock OEM belt.
2006 Wht. Burgman 650, 30,000+ miles, running like a champ..
ajwmrr

Post by ajwmrr »

Ok so, in the long term things may fail early. I don't plan on riding like this all the time. Maybe say 20 miles or less a week.

Now on the short term, the rear tire getting really hot, is there a cause for concern?

As for that picture, sure i wouldnt mind over loading but we're going 55+ mph... lol
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If its an OEM IRC tyre I wouldn't worry about it, they're very flexible, get hot and wear out quickly.
Before riding two up, you usually need to increase the air pressure in the rear tyre.
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeeGusKahn »

ajwmrr wrote:Ok so, in the long term things may fail early. I don't plan on riding like this all the time. Maybe say 20 miles or less a week.

Now on the short term, the rear tire getting really hot, is there a cause for concern?

As for that picture, sure i wouldnt mind over loading but we're going 55+ mph... lol
Make sure your tires are properly inflated - and I would add a few extra pounds to the rear tire.
Whatever rear tire you are running - look at the max psi rating on the side of the tire - and go up to that rating to see how that works for you.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

My manual claims 33 psi on the rear solo, and 36 psi two up.
aka DrewJW
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

GeeGusKahn wrote:
ajwmrr wrote:According to the manual, 386lbs is the pcx's weight limit. Me and my wife's combined weight is 460lbs. I've tried to look online for any issues riding like this but all I ever find is "its dangerous". So far ride wise, we're fine, maintaining 55mph.

Everything is relative to what you want or need.
fun mc family business url.jpg
Is this an overload or what ?
Someone told me that yodelling is illegal in their country - thus the masks. See 'em all over. Bunch of yodelling fanatics, I guess!
Fish
ajwmrr

Post by ajwmrr »

Yes, they are the OEM tires. I will raise the pressure and let you all know. Thanks so far! :)
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeeGusKahn »

DrewJW wrote:My manual claims 33 psi on the rear solo, and 36 psi two up.
Hay Drew, that is what Honda feels would be the correct ratings for everyday normal.
However, there is also a spec on the side of each tire stating what the tire mfg feels is safe.
Each tire and mfg will have its own rating - so you have to actually look at the side of each tire to see that rating.
PSI & max wgt rating 900k.jpg
PSI & max wgt rating 900k.jpg (227.93 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
This is an example of that rating - this is not a PCX tire.
.[/b]
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I believe this argument has stood for years, who is right. The people who design the bike, or the people who just design the tyre, and make it for a set wheel size.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:I believe this argument has stood for years, who is right. The people who design the bike, or the people who just design the tyre, and make it for a set wheel size.

I can feel my will to live ebbing away already. Something in the low 30s the for the front and high 30s for the rear is good for any modern bike

The rear tyre on a scooter may feel warmer to the touch (and that isn't necessarily a bad thing) because if has a more direct heat line to the engine than a motorcycle as the engine and rear drive are a unit. And heat sinks