How much work is it to install a larger throttle body?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: How much work is it to install a larger throttle body?

Post by Valiant »

fish wrote:This, and many other, PCX modding threads should make informative reading for people thinking of buying a PCX for thrift/economic/appearance reasons - while really hoping & expecting to cruise at over 60MPH on a small scooter.
$3500 will buy a lot of pretty fair sized lightly used motorcycles and/or larger CC scooters....that will safely & easily cruise much faster than 60mph without reworking what the manufacturer's engineers have already put in place. Few folks working in a parking lot, or a heated home garage or a dealership service bay for that matter, can build a better & more reliable scooter than did the manufacturer. If so, you've purchased the wrong brand of scooter from the get-go.

If you're after some fun and tinkering and have the expendable cash....that's a whole different bucket of monkeys.
Better? Nope.
Me thinks...
Fish
I don't have a lot of options.

I don't want a sport bike or dual sport, as that doesn't help with my theft problem. I'd love a cruiser, but because they generally have a longer wheel base, I can't fit it into my parking spot.

I can say for a fact however that this BBK install is twice as expensive and complicated only because this is on a 2015 model.
Reaper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Reaper »

Does anyone have the target afr table for our bikes? I saw some for honda grom, but just can't find it for an hour :)
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Reaper wrote:Does anyone have the target afr table for our bikes? I saw some for honda grom, but just can't find it for an hour :)
11.2afr on wot, cruise 13-14afr
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Good news! I got my PCX back!!!(yay!)

Bad news!!! The parts I asked to have installed 11 days ago are still not installed!!!!:
Please don't ask about the sheets.

Worse news yet!!! They wouldn't give me the parts I gave them to have installed until I called HPD:

Even worse news!!! I can't sell this half-assed piece of work even if I wanted to in the state that its in!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

You are either the famous CUSTOMER FROM H_LL we've all read about - or these guys are a really strange bunch - perhaps THE most bizzare scootering dealer story I've ever heard of! Amazing!

I had to contact KYMCO USA to get my dealer straightened out for a warranty issue (typical big, multi-brand, motorcycle dealer who sold scooters as an after-thought) - but you had to call the cops!!

Can you put your scoot back to stock and use it?
Put those parts back on ebay - and take the loss over what you paid?

Do wish you luck with this,
please keep us posted.
Fish
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Uhh, I'd have to pay someone to actually remove the aftermarket parts and put the stock ones back.

Because A) I have no mechanical experience and B) I don't exactly have a private garage with all the tools I need(and I don't know what tools I'd need).

The bored cylinder, performance camshaft, and EFI are already deep in there. If I could open her up that much to take it out, it would be easier to simply finish installing the throttle body, manifold, and large intake tube.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I would also hope that I wasn't the customer from hell if I largely didn't even give them so much as a phone call for 6 days straight, which is more than enough time to just pop off a few panels to at least make it look like they're doing something.

I did eventually impose myself into their back work area where my PCX was because the owner kept ducking me for 2 and a half hours. Had I not done so I would not have been able to open up my airbox(I always keep a screwdriver under my seat) and see that aside from my rollers(I wasn't about to ask to use their tools), I've physically confirmed that nothing got installed. One of their workers then started to ask me to stay out of the work area because I was driving the owner nuts, even though the guy himself was right there and didn't seem inclined to speak to me himself.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I can speak as a former motorcycle mechanic. It's industry standard not to have the customer in the shop. Usually I wouldn't mind. The only time I would or others would really mind is if they don't know what they're doing. Good for you for getting your parts/bike back and I hope it works out for you.

I wish I'd been more active and been on here and able to help. Pcxdemon seems to have a lot of experience and is willing to help guide you some, but since you are going a different route, he can't give you definite answers and how-to's. Unfortunately, modding these scooters in the US is almost unheard of. And unfortunately, those who have the expertise are in the Orient. So, you really are in no man's land as all these parts have instructions written in Japanese or such broken English that they're useless.

I admire your ambition and feel bad that it has come to all this as I know you don't have a whole lot of options on the island to get work done. I somewhat echo the sentiments of a prior poster. And yet I understand your predicament being a somewhat heavier rider and carrying 25lbs of cargo, you needed the boost in power.

Hopefully, your experience will dissuade others from experimenting with a new setup. Even as a former tech, I couldn't get enough definitive info to make me feel comfortable ordering some big bore parts even though money was not an issue for me.

Dude, seriously best of luck, and keep us informed of what happens.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, this is a slightly different animal as well, as the 2015 needs the throttle cable swapped out, and some wires need to be cut and spliced in order to run the sensor block properly.

I figure that no matter how much I want to put it off, I'm going to need to get my own hands dirty and learn how to do everything myself. I say that because if the Yelp reviews are any indication, even the motorcycle shops have the exact same problem, though you have more choices when you're running the bike full stock(mostly).

I figure even if I sell my PCX, it would be best to gain those mechanical skills first. So I figure I'd find some time to work on the variator over the summer, then set aside some time to install the throttle body when my summer class is over, but before the next semester starts.

I did order a service manual, so hopefully that tells me what tools I would need to remove and install the parts aside from what I'd need to cut an appropriately sized hole into my airbox for that larger intake tube.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant,get this to work with your enigma tuning (http://japan.webike.net/products/21345813.html) . Use the afr meter to tell you where you're running lean or rich and trim your piggy back mapping accordingly. Ive been thinking about it..You can edit your map fuelling values via phone bluetooth right? If so, than do not enter any more empty squares tps/rpm with any values but just instead bump up the existing values 5% to 10% that are already in place displayed at the time until you get desirable mixture. You will most likely need to give more fuel mid cruising throttle as they all tend to run leaner at cruising for fuel economy and bump up fuelling little bit up top to drop afr down to 11-12 on wot. With that afr meter its like a road dyno tuning..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Thanks, but I'll have to put that on hold, as I still have transmission issues.

Running on the stand, I'm only getting about 67 mph on the speedo, which typically overreads by about 8-9%, so I'd say the actual speed would translate to about 62 mph. I did take it to a motorcycle dealer who checked and said that nothing seemed to be wrong with the trans. The tech said that the sliders seemed to be put in properly, but we know that can be confusing sometimes, so I'm hoping changing to rollers will fix it.

On the flip side, I'm not sure if I should even bother. I'm considering trying to sell it as is, maybe net myself $2k and just buy a used CBR 250R as it would likely be less of a mechanical nightmare.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

It would but only if you leave it stock! :)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Of course, it finally dawned upon me the lack of honest motorcycle/scooter shops on the island, and it's a damned small island. Can't say for sure if the previous owner would have left it stock as well, hence my desire for new from the dealer, even if they rip me off.

Would you say it's worth it to try and fix the transmission at least? I even went out of my way to buy a service manual, but I believe I need to make further purchases of a variator holding tool, a clutch bell holding tool, a torque wrench, and possibly 19mm and 22mm sockets for the torque wrench if I can't use my existing 19mm and 22mm sockets for my impact driver.

I did also sort of screw up and bought an impact driver with a 1/4" hex key instead of a 1/2" hex, but I bought it because it was a twin set that came with a cordless drill and I'm not sure if I should return it because it might snap off my 1/4" to 1/2" conversion bit if I tried to use it.

I'm also kind of wondering if I overreacted as my brother tells me by calling the police. As I had waited in that scooter shop for 2 hours trying to get a straight answer and kept having lies told to me, plus I obviously wasn't going to get my parts back that night.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Yea, deff worth while holding on to it and trying to sort it yourself. It's really simple to work on it and this can be a start of a new learning journey and a hobby. Transmition is a cake walk,you will have that sorted in no time. Once you get your tools they will pay them selfs of almost straight away.
Tuning scooters or anything else is not hard but it's time consuming, money costing, and headaches but it's all worth it when results are there..1 step at the time.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, I figure I'd go ahead and purchase the other tools I need to work on the transmission, and base my decision to keep or sell on the results.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

You have all the knowledge here on the forums between the howtos and PCXdemon's vast library of performance knowledge he keeps in his noggin. You should be able to do the install yourself, then decide if the result is enough to justify selling or not.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, I did hit a bit of a bump anyhow.

Variator holding tool - $100 after shipping.
Flywheel holding tool(for the clutch) - $280 without shipping O_O

Might've preferred the clutch spring compressor tool, but I'm afraid to even look at the price on that one.

I got the variator holding tool for now, maybe just see how that one goes for me.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant wrote:Well, I did hit a bit of a bump anyhow.

Variator holding tool - $100 after shipping.
Flywheel holding tool(for the clutch) - $280 without shipping O_O

Might've preferred the clutch spring compressor tool, but I'm afraid to even look at the price on that one.

I got the variator holding tool for now, maybe just see how that one goes for me.
Look on YouTube how others get it done without proper tools for the cheap..
In the hindsight..! I remembered years ago when I got Daytona vario first, I found that advised weights set up with the vario were terrible and I had no good top end from it. I was quite disappointed with it till I started experimenting and found that when I dropped the weights down to 10g from 13g suggested the vario just become something else, it became alive. I aimed for 8k rpm wot and that fixed it up..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, I already ordered the $100 variator holder. Just figured maybe I should start off with that and see how far I can get with it.

It's interesting though, as I have the service manual, and it specifically warns that attempting to remove the clutch nut without the holding tool and only attempting to apply the rear brakes or holding the rear tire can cause internal damage. Kind of wondering if any of my last two techs did exactly that, as I'm starting to hear a noise coming from the back that sounds like someone left a bunch of loose bearings rolling around in my transmission case.

But yeah, my ride on the highway today would definitely suggest that my variator isn't pushing the belt all the way out. It's pulling at 8800 rpms with 13g sliders. It used to pull at 7700 rpms with 12g sliders. Hopefully I get that tool shipped to me within the week. I plan to get the rest of the tools(impact driver with 1/2" crank, torque wrench, socket wrench) today.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

I have taken the variator holding nut off and reinstalled at least 5 times now with just my dewalt impact driver without any holder.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S