Anyone have NCY front forks?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Anyone have NCY front forks?

Post by MKE PCX »

I may be in need of new forks soon and am wondering if anyone here has tried the NCY front forks?

If so, how is the quality? Any comments about NCY product quality in general?

The are slightly less than double the price of factory forks but it might be worth the upgrade if my forks turn out to be bent.

If the factory forks are bent already, they are clearly not designed for poor roads and a 215lb rider.

Any input would be appreciated. Money is tight and I can't afford to misappropriate any of my scooter repair dollars.

http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-front-f ... V0-bmC4nVo
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Anyone have NCY front forks?

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:I may be in need of new forks soon and am wondering if anyone here has tried the NCY front forks?

If so, how is the quality? Any comments about NCY product quality in general?

The are slightly less than double the price of factory forks but it might be worth the upgrade if my forks turn out to be bent.

If the factory forks are bent already, they are clearly not designed for poor roads and a 215lb rider.

Any input would be appreciated. Money is tight and I can't afford to misappropriate any of my scooter repair dollars.

http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-front-f ... V0-bmC4nVo

Have you tried straightening the forks yet?
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

you you wrote:Have you tried straightening the forks yet?
Yes I have, to no avail.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Until you find out exactly what is damaged there's no point looking at aftermarket parts.
Aftermarket forks won't change anything, its a small city runabout scooter, on which you're meant to use the nimble handling to steer around potholes.....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:
you you wrote:Have you tried straightening the forks yet?
Yes I have, to no avail.

I'd be tempted to loosen the two fork leg clamp bolts and try again.

Worth a try?
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I'd tend to agree with gn2 here. I'm doubtful that the aftermarket forks would be significantly stronger vs. impact bending than stock. They might look fancier, feature stiffer springs or more aggressive valving. But I doubt that the inner tube part that tends to bend is that much sturdier than OE.

Small scooters, in general, aren't designed to be tanks that can crash through anything with a large rider. They are light, nimble, etc, but not built to the level of a commercial delivery truck. If your roads are that terrible, any scooter is probably a marginal choice. Something like a KLR250 or DR200SE would do better on roads that look like the surface of the moon than any scooter.

If I did have to operate a scooter in a sub optimal environment, I would be riding one like a Kymco GT300i or a People. Something with the largest wheels I could find. But to beat a dead horse, again, no scooter is going to do well on cratered roads compared to a cycle with superior suspension.
'88 BMW R100RT
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

gn2 wrote:Until you find out exactly what is damaged there's no point looking at aftermarket parts.
Aftermarket forks won't change anything, its a small city runabout scooter, on which you're meant to use the nimble handling to steer around potholes.....
I realize that.

I'm not looking at the aftermarket forks as a solution to the pothole problem.

It's more of an aesthetic upgrade with a stiffer spring. I was actually considering the forks before this incident just because I like the black/orange color scheme NCY has. Since it was something I considered anyway. I figure now is the time if the forks need replacement anyway.

If they also improves the handling a little, that's a bonus. I realize they will not be any more durable, being aluminum they'll just crack instead of bend.
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

you you wrote: I'd be tempted to loosen the two fork leg clamp bolts and try again.

Worth a try?
I'll give it another go today. It's free to try so it would be foolish not to.
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

kcpcx wrote:I'd tend to agree with gn2 here. I'm doubtful that the aftermarket forks would be significantly stronger vs. impact bending than stock. They might look fancier, feature stiffer springs or more aggressive valving. But I doubt that the inner tube part that tends to bend is that much sturdier than OE.

Small scooters, in general, aren't designed to be tanks that can crash through anything with a large rider. They are light, nimble, etc, but not built to the level of a commercial delivery truck. If your roads are that terrible, any scooter is probably a marginal choice. Something like a KLR250 or DR200SE would do better on roads that look like the surface of the moon than any scooter.

If I did have to operate a scooter in a sub optimal environment, I would be riding one like a Kymco GT300i or a People. Something with the largest wheels I could find. But to beat a dead horse, again, no scooter is going to do well on cratered roads compared to a cycle with superior suspension.
The roads here aren't really that bad. The pothole was in an area with construction and was more of a gap in between two pieces of concrete. It was incredibly hard to identify as a hazard, or I would have avoided it.

Next time I'm driving through an area like that I'll slow down, even it if means a failure to maintain the speed limit. (I wasn't speeding when it happened)

The best lessons learned in life usually come at some type of expense. I'll chalk up the cost of the replacement parts as a life lesson that will hopefully keep me safe in the future.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:
you you wrote: I'd be tempted to loosen the two fork leg clamp bolts and try again.

Worth a try?
I'll give it another go today. It's free to try so it would be foolish not to.

Loosen the main front axle slightly too
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:
kcpcx wrote:I'd tend to agree with gn2 here. I'm doubtful that the aftermarket forks would be significantly stronger vs. impact bending than stock. They might look fancier, feature stiffer springs or more aggressive valving. But I doubt that the inner tube part that tends to bend is that much sturdier than OE.

The roads here aren't really that bad. The pothole was in an area with construction and was more of a gap in between two pieces of concrete. It was incredibly hard to identify as a hazard, or I would have avoided it.

Next time I'm driving through an area like that I'll slow down, even it if means a failure to maintain the speed limit. (I wasn't speeding when it happened)

The best lessons learned in life usually come at some type of expense. I'll chalk up the cost of the replacement parts as a life lesson that will hopefully keep me safe in the future.

If it hasn't damaged the wheelrim or tyre its unlikely to have damaged your suspension