Stop n Go Tire Fix

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Stop n Go Tire Fix

Post by tbln930 »

I just plugged a rear tire from a roofing nail. It was in a good place and the plug is holding well. Are these purely temporary fixes? On my cars I would call it a day but these mushroom plugs don't even have the sticky stuff on them.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Re: Stop n Go Tire Fix

Post by kcpcx »

I've never had to plug a cycle tire before, but have done a fair number of such repairs on car tires. I've never had one fail.

Obviously, I'd be a little more concerned about plug quality on a bike versus a car, as the consequences of failure are greater.

Purely anecdotal, but I've heard the Dynaplug and Stop & Go kits for cycle tires are very good.

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-rep ... epair-kits

http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html

Regarding sticky stuff, if you wanted to put a little sealant goop in there with the plug, this is generally regarded to be the best stuff. I don't think most of the plugs require or recommend it, though.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!wZMJtPucQ88FF ... aQod5owAFg
'88 BMW R100RT
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Thanks. I plugged a lot of auto tires with the sticky strips and they worked well. These are the mushroom plugs that are supposed to be better. So far 5 out of 6 said go with it and watch the pressure.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

To do a proper repair on a tubeless tyre it has to be removed from the rim, the interior inspected and if suitable for repair patched from the inside.
Any strips/plugs pushed through from the outside with the tyre still in place are intended as temporary get-you-home fixes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

That Stop N Go is a slick product the way it forces the mushroom plug head inside the tire.

SECoda/tbln930
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fun2scoot »

gn2 wrote:To do a proper repair on a tubeless tyre it has to be removed from the rim, the interior inspected and if suitable for repair patched from the inside.
Any strips/plugs pushed through from the outside with the tyre still in place are intended as temporary get-you-home fixes.
Agreed. Please note that even patching the interior carcass is not 100%. Patches can, and do, fail.
Get a new tire - your life is worth it. Take the old tire off, mend it, set it aside for an emergency-only spare.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Once I mentioned going on unpaved roads to a few seasoned dual sport folks a tire change became eminent.

SECoda/tbln930
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Out of interest, where can I get one of these patches? be handy when I'm miles away from a garage.
aka DrewJW
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I have this one. They work very well. Very compact kit. The only failures I heard of so far were user error or a steel belted tire cut the plug. The user error is normally plug not inserted fully or not seated (pulled back once in until the mushroom seats against the inside of the tire) after being pushed through. It is very easy to do with the special insert tool and instruction card included.

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Internati ... op+go+tire

DrewJW wrote:Out of interest, where can I get one of these patches? be handy when I'm miles away from a garage.

SECoda/tbln930
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Cheers, before i really pour on miles going up Scotland later this summer, best grab one of those.
aka DrewJW