FIRST SERVICE

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

FIRST SERVICE

Post by jojo87 »

Bike is going in for it's first Service soon, was told it would be between.....

Code: Select all

1st service would be approx £75-120 depending on what is needed as per the manufacturers schedule. Especially as it is under warranty only genuine parts are used for filters ect while under this period. The price jump is normally due to having the valve clearances checked as this tends to be approximately another hour on top of the service, but only if it needs doing as per the manufactures schedule.
I also mentioned the rattle and grinding noises, to which they said:

and with the noises that you describe they are NOT normal. 
I've explained when they happen, which is basically straight away, that the rattle is there only when the throttle is pulled, and that it's only there when riding, and not when it's on the main stand... said that when rolling and going down hills the rattle is not there (when the throttle isn't pulled) but a slight turn and it's there! also the grinding/rubbing from the rear, mentioned about the actual wheel bearings or the clutch bearings (as some people have mentioned) also said about maybe the Bike being shipped with little to none Gearbox Oil.... said that when I first had the Bike I could push it and it would be silent, but now, pushing it from my gate to where I park it in my garden... it's just a loud grinding/rubbing noise.

Also mentioned that another Dealers had it not long ago and they took the side casing off and said they couldn't see anything wrong (guessing they just checked the belt, clutch, rollers...) and sent it back... to which they're now not responding to my emails anymore about having the Bike back to check over again and do the Service, hence why I had to find another place to do the work....

I've told them it's still under Honda Warranty, so i've asked them how it all works regarding repair work, as they aren't an actual Honda Dealers, so do I pay them for the work and then contact Honda with the receipts etc? as with my previous Bikes I did the work myself, but with this 2014 model i'd rather just have everything done by a Garage, they also said they have a few PCX customers so they know how the PCX is supposed to sound.... which is good considering the last place could only say 'its the quietest Bike we've been on'...... even though the PCX is known for being quiet anyway! but my previous 2013 model was so nice to ride, quiet, with just a humming, compared to this 2014 model which is just annoying!

Can anyone confirm what actually needs doing on the first Service? I asked in another thread but I can't find it, and just incase anything goes wrong etc, i'd rather keep this thread topped up with updates, so everything is in 1 thread....
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FIRST SERVICE

Post by jojo87 »

Oh shite, can someone move this to the PCX bit, I put it in Forza by accident!!
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Just had a reply from Thunder Road Honda Dealers and they said the first Service will be £172.39
also charging me £30 to pick the Bike up and drop it off... so that's £202.39 just to get it to them for them to Service it!
as it's under Warranty, the checking for the noises and hopefully fixing them will be under the Warranty,
but still, £202.39 just for them to have it and do the first Service :|

There is the non Honda Dealer in the same area as Thunder Road who will collect and drop the Bike off for around £50,
and then their Service is £75-120, only around the £120 mark if the Valves need checking etc, which they shouldn't do at just 600 miles?
so that's £125 for them to have it in and Service it....
BUT, not being Honda Dealers, i'd have to pay labour for them to check the Bike for the issues and fix it (if they can find the issues)
but i'm not sure how much that would be, or even a rough price....
if it's more than £82.39 (what's left compared to Thunder Road) then Thunder Road it is.

OR.......

Do I take it to my local Garage, who charge around £80 for the Service, I can take the Bike there and get it myself,
and THEN pay Thunder Road the £30 to collect the Bike and check it over and fix it (if they find the issues) as that's free due to the Warranty,
so total that way would be £110....
so Thunder Road still end up with the Bike, but i'm saving nearly £100 (Service wise).
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Just had a reply back from Thunder Road:

A 600 mile service on a PCX125 always includes a valve clearance inspection as does every service on the vehicle. If any garages are quoting without this I would be very careful as like you said the bike is under manufacturer’s warranty. Disregarding the service schedule or not using Honda GENUINE parts will affect the warranty. I have attached a copy of the service schedule to this e-mail for you.

The service is made up from our labour rate that is £66.00 per hour including VAT. This may be higher than your local garages but you know the technicians working on your vehicle are all Honda trained and have access to the Honda network for resources at the click of a finger. We only use genuine manufacturer’s parts and the correct specified oil. Therefore, choosing to have your service with us you have peace of mind that the technician working on your vehicle has had the correct training and information to best look after your vehicle. It would also have no possible affect on your two year warranty.

I therefore would only advise that you have your service done in a Honda main dealership. 
Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 14.23.39.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 14.23.39.png (223.66 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

If they are honest and really do the valve check, then having it checked during the 1st service is probably one of the most vital to check it left the factory properly setup and has bedded in OK - some say they find them a bit tight the first time checking.
Stating that all dealers do a valve check every service is definitely not true for most dealers - I doubt many check more than once in a service history if you took it to them every service.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

So do you think I should spend the £202 and go with Thunder Road then?
have them collect it, do the FULL service, check and hopefully fix the issues i've been having, and the drop it back off.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have found on ours that doing the valve check on the first service has shown them to be either too tight or too far apart. I have only done the valve check once since then and they both were within specs, so the first valve adjustment is very important.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

''The only other alternative we could offer you as a dealership is to sign up to our pre-paid service agreement. This is a heavily discounted service plan that would cover the bike over 5 services and until the end of the warranty period. The cost of this plan is £399.00....... You wouldn’t have to pay this upfront, As if you placed a £100 deposit you could spread the cost of the remaining balance over a 3 month period via direct debit. Another privilege of being on the service plan is that you would be offered free collection and delivery for all of your services. The service plan is not specific to our dealership in Cwmbran as you could also use our branches in Bridgend & Gloucester. ''
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

jojo87 wrote:''The only other alternative we could offer you as a dealership is to sign up to our pre-paid service agreement. This is a heavily discounted service plan that would cover the bike over 5 services and until the end of the warranty period. The cost of this plan is £399.00....... You wouldn’t have to pay this upfront, As if you placed a £100 deposit you could spread the cost of the remaining balance over a 3 month period via direct debit. Another privilege of being on the service plan is that you would be offered free collection and delivery for all of your services. The service plan is not specific to our dealership in Cwmbran as you could also use our branches in Bridgend & Gloucester. ''
That sounds too good to be true :) - all services, collect/deliver for little more than two services.
Re 'but only if it needs doing as per the manufactures schedule' < well, it mentiones the valve check on every service, every 2500 miles. Whether by that the dealer decides to do what most of them are rumoured to do and that is not really inspect them but listen to them and if the bike starts and sounds ok, don't do it. The cost of my first service was £78+VAT for 20 mins work and hopefully a change of oil. They never mentioned a valve inspection was needed and would need an hours labour+ on top to really do it.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Sounds good anyway, as i'm saving a lot just on the pick ups and drop offs, that alone would be £150 for the 5 times (£30 each)...
so for the £399 I get the Bike picked up, and then Serviced, and dropped back, 5 times!
if they were going to charge me £202 just to pick up and do 1 Service, then surely £399 for 5 Services (and pick ups) is good!
and they said the Valve clearance is done on every Service, so hopefully they do do it!
only thing i've been worried about is whether or not they find the issues with the sounds when the Throttle is pulled,
as that's the main reason I don't enjoy going on the Bike, fair enough Services can be done, but if I don't want to actually ride the Bike, it's pretty useless!

A 600 mile service on a PCX125 always includes a valve clearance inspection as does every service on the vehicle.

Yes I can confirm that once the you have paid the £399 you will receive 5 vouchers these will then be used as payment for each of the services. If you have a service before the full amount has been paid then we will remove the necessary voucher and you will receive the balance of these in the post. You will still be required to book your service but collection and the service price would be taken from the voucher. So there won’t be any additional costs for the services or collection.

Yes it covers the bike for 5 services, They would not necessarily have to be used before the warranty period ends but 2 years from the purchase date. Usually these are purchased when buying a bike from ourselves and so would take it up to the warranty end date. As you have already purchased the bike it would probably take it just after the warranty end date.

The service plan does not cover items such as brake pads, tyres etc only items as of the service schedule. 
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

£399! For two years servicing!!!
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

That's the thing, was charging me £202 for 1 Service otherwise :-/
collection - service - drop off
but for £399 I get all that... 5 TIMES!
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

How much for first service!? was £79 at AllBikes, that included the valve check!
aka DrewJW
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

Had my first service today - I was also royally screwed for £202. The dealer also found 'premature wear' on the steering head bearings (at 230miles!!!) but at least these will be done under warranty.

The cost is horrendous, comes around way to often, and the dealer doesn't seem to offer a service plan. I did however watch a youtube video of the removal of the bodywork to get to the engine and it does go a long way to explain the cost.

Simmo
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Still if it was £79 for your Service DrewJW then 5 Services would be around £395?
this is £399 for 5 Services plus free pick up and drop off,
pick up and drop off adds to £150 for the 5 Service visits....
and they're the only Honda Dealers near me (which sucks).
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Yeah the pickup part sucks. I'm much closer to my dealer.
aka DrewJW
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Think they said they were around 25 miles from me... so yeah, kind of annoying! but I think this £399 price is good for the servicing and collections, and Honda Dealers too, just hoping they find the issues with the Bike.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I will have to check my next service price, i know my first one at 600 was discounted, if they do a deal thing, I will have to sign up. Already close to 1,000 miles.
aka DrewJW
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

jojo87 wrote:Still if it was £79 for your Service DrewJW then 5 Services would be around £395?
this is £399 for 5 Services plus free pick up and drop off,
pick up and drop off adds to £150 for the 5 Service visits....
and they're the only Honda Dealers near me (which sucks).
The price for servicing is not constant across them all - it goes up each time or most of the time. The quotes from my Honda dealer, all ex-vat!, were £79 for 1st service (no valve check for that price!, when they charge a lot for an hr's labour) rising to about £210 for one of the more major later ones. All in all, ex vat it came to just shy of £900 (no collect/deliver in that) so with VAT was about £1000 over 2 years - %40 cost of the scooter!

So, had the 1st one done and now doing the servicing myself - heck, even if something costing £500 needed to be done within the 2 yrs, I'm still %50 better off than having the servicing done at the dealer. I'm now over a year in and the scooter is running fine.

Issues I have had were:
1) a slight burning smell for 2-3 weeks which seemed to come from the rear belt/clutch areas and minor and temp loss of immediate acceleration for a few seconds - happened at traffic lights once which was scary with all the traffic. Dealer had a quick 1 min run-around at slow speed and found nothing wrong - then it happened again the next day. Went away after that
2) shudder until clutch properly kicks in - does not happen now after being less gentle at take off from stand-still but never have been WOFT!
I believe both the above may have been, or were due to being too gentle on the throttle for too long and some glazing setting in - just being a bit less gentle (but not too hard) on take-off sorted at lease point 2.

Could the valves be too loose/tight - perhaps as never checked them but the bike always starts 1st time, I have always got great mpg (min 129mpg to 141mpg and now it's getting warmer and perhaps with the summer fuel change(?) the mpg is rising again - last fill up (always litres in and trip miles - not going by the mpg gauge which is pretty accurate anyway) gave me 133mpg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jojo87 wrote:That's the thing, was charging me £202 for 1 Service otherwise :-/
collection - service - drop off
but for £399 I get all that... 5 TIMES!

But the vouchers run out after two years from purchase. You bike won't need servicing five times in that period.