Hello! Forza 300 Quirks

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

techrat
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Hello! Forza 300 Quirks

Post by techrat »

Hello All; this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for about 3 weeks. Recently purchased a Forza 300 to replace my 2001 Honda Reflex NSS250 which burned up in a garage fire.

I had put about 25,000 miles on the Reflex after purchasing it used (with only 3k on it) in 2008. I had considered it a perfect bike for my commute to work (about 20 miles each way); as well as the occasional long trip (for example I went from NY to Boston on the Reflex).

The Forza appears to be a good bike to replace the Reflex so far no issues (other than the dealer having to replace the fuel pump before I could take delivery) it's a 2014 model that I got at a fair deal (about $5300 out the door which included taxes and registration) ... however, there are some quirks that I see I'm going to have to live with:

#1) Windshield: Already ordered the Honda taller windshield via Amazon. Just getting way too much air although that might be fine for July/August, but once fall is upon the Northeast, I definitely need more protection.

#2) Underseat storage actually appears smaller and less useful than the Reflex, also, I'm not sure how to get to the battery yet; also the provided toolkit is entirely useless (not sure why they even bothered); however, the lack of space under the seat is almost made up for by the deep locking glovebox with 12v adapter - I'll need to drill or cut into it a bit if I want to run a GPS from that plug...

#3) I can get about 50 miles before the fuel gauge needle starts moving, but once it starts, I feel like I'm dead, because then it starts dropping to empty real fast. I've already noticed that I'm only putting in $5 of gas (2 gallons); so when the gauge is telling me to find as gas station, I've really got a gallon left. I used to be able to hit 180 miles before needing gas on the Reflex. With this bike, I start feeling nervous at 150, go to get gas and spend $5 for 2 gallons. I really wish the fuel indicator was more accurate.

I live in New Jersey near Newark, I commute deeper into Jersey (Morristown area) daily, and regularly take trips to Bear Mountain in NY State, so I really pile on the miles (I ride at the start of the Daylight Savings, and continue to ride until the end of Daylight Savings).

Here's a question for anyone who might know. Is the Forza heavier or lighter than the Reflex was? I ask because I seem to get knocked around more by crosswinds on the Forza; as a result so far I have been riding slower than I would have done with the Reflex. I'm also understandably nervous about getting onto the highway with it as we have crazy traffic here and I don't want to be further distracted by wind issues. I'm hoping the taller windshield makes a big difference (the Reflex had a huge Givi). I only have about 400 or 500 miles on the Forza so far, maybe once I wear in the tires a bit it'll fall in line so to speak.

Thanks!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Hello! Forza 300 Quirks

Post by you you »

techrat wrote:Hello All; this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for about 3 weeks. Recently purchased a Forza 300 to replace my 2001 Honda Reflex NSS250 which burned up in a garage fire.

I had put about 25,000 miles on the Reflex after purchasing it used (with only 3k on it) in 2008. I had considered it a perfect bike for my commute to work (about 20 miles each way); as well as the occasional long trip (for example I went from NY to Boston on the Reflex).

The Forza appears to be a good bike to replace the Reflex so far no issues (other than the dealer having to replace the fuel pump before I could take delivery) it's a 2014 model that I got at a fair deal (about $5300 out the door which included taxes and registration) ... however, there are some quirks that I see I'm going to have to live with:

#1) Windshield: Already ordered the Honda taller windshield via Amazon. Just getting way too much air although that might be fine for July/August, but once fall is upon the Northeast, I definitely need more protection.

#2) Underseat storage actually appears smaller and less useful than the Reflex, also, I'm not sure how to get to the battery yet; also the provided toolkit is entirely useless (not sure why they even bothered); however, the lack of space under the seat is almost made up for by the deep locking glovebox with 12v adapter - I'll need to drill or cut into it a bit if I want to run a GPS from that plug...

#3) I can get about 50 miles before the fuel gauge needle starts moving, but once it starts, I feel like I'm dead, because then it starts dropping to empty real fast. I've already noticed that I'm only putting in $5 of gas (2 gallons); so when the gauge is telling me to find as gas station, I've really got a gallon left. I used to be able to hit 180 miles before needing gas on the Reflex. With this bike, I start feeling nervous at 150, go to get gas and spend $5 for 2 gallons. I really wish the fuel indicator was more accurate.

I live in New Jersey near Newark, I commute deeper into Jersey (Morristown area) daily, and regularly take trips to Bear Mountain in NY State, so I really pile on the miles (I ride at the start of the Daylight Savings, and continue to ride until the end of Daylight Savings).

Here's a question for anyone who might know. Is the Forza heavier or lighter than the Reflex was? I ask because I seem to get knocked around more by crosswinds on the Forza; as a result so far I have been riding slower than I would have done with the Reflex. I'm also understandably nervous about getting onto the highway with it as we have crazy traffic here and I don't want to be further distracted by wind issues. I'm hoping the taller windshield makes a big difference (the Reflex had a huge Givi). I only have about 400 or 500 miles on the Forza so far, maybe once I wear in the tires a bit it'll fall in line so to speak.

Thanks!
Not sure. But you've got a forza now. Enjoy it?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

3: use the tripmeter and economy meter.

For US model:

Fill tank to brim, reset Trip A to zero, ride scooter.
When the Trip A distance is double the MPG figure on the economy meter you have the figure indicated on the economy meter left.

eg: Trip A 120 miles, eco meter 60mpg, distance remaining till empty is 60 miles.

Forget the fuel gauge, its just for decoration to balance the look of the dash.

Weight issue: NSS300A weighs 192kg and is probably slightly heavier than the Reflex

Crosswind control issue: a bigger screen will probably only make matters worse, the secret is learning to relax.

If you do want a bigger screen there are options from Givi, Puig and the Honda one is actually made by Ermax who do a range of screens including one identical to the Honda one but without the expensive Honda badge on ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

You can tell I am from the semi-rural burbs. I had to do a work stint in Newark one time and I was afraid driving a car there. o_O My Forza gauge sounds about the same as yours. It gives one a big reserve so I ignore it a while and go with the Trip.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
techrat

Post by techrat »

And speaking of the "Eco-Meter"; another "quirk" is how, when you've filled up and zero'ed out the Tripmeter, the computer doesn't have enough data to work with, so in mile0.1 you're at 33mpg, and then it jumps to 72 to 75mpg for 12 to 15 miles, then settles down to 66/67 mpg for the rest of the tank. I was trying to figure out if it's really an "average" or if it's just trying to give you your MPG at that moment. Judging by it being fairly consistent tankful to tankful, I'm guessing there's an averaging algorithm somewhere at work there.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

I never reset my Trips manually and the Eco-meter is always about 70-71 the way I ride.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

techrat wrote: I was trying to figure out if it's really an "average" or if it's just trying to give you your MPG at that moment. Judging by it being fairly consistent tankful to tankful, I'm guessing there's an averaging algorithm somewhere at work there.
Its an average since last reset and updates at a set interval.
I've had mine off the clock, it only goes up to 99.9mpg but changing it to metric gives the actual figure.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

techrat wrote:And speaking of the "Eco-Meter"; another "quirk" is how, when you've filled up and zero'ed out the Tripmeter, the computer doesn't have enough data to work with, so in mile0.1 you're at 33mpg, and then it jumps to 72 to 75mpg for 12 to 15 miles, then settles down to 66/67 mpg for the rest of the tank. I was trying to figure out if it's really an "average" or if it's just trying to give you your MPG at that moment. Judging by it being fairly consistent tankful to tankful, I'm guessing there's an averaging algorithm somewhere at work there.
I had this same problem at first. But then I discovered that tripmeter A will reset the mpg's also when you reset it, but using tripmeter B does not reset the mpg's. I always use tripmeter B now.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

waybar wrote:tripmeter A will reset the mpg's also when you reset it, but using tripmeter B does not reset the mpg's. I always use tripmeter B now.
By not resetting Trip A you lose all the information you need to accurately monitor tank range.
Pretty essential on a bike with no reserve tap.
Vesper2112

Post by Vesper2112 »

I regularly get around 68 mpg, so yeah... the first time I looked down and saw the gauge at empty, I panicked a little. Now, knowing I get ~68 mpg, I go for ~180 miles before filling up.
BTW, the Givi longer windshield helped me some with wind "push" when getting some speed, but not crosswind or anything (which I've got more used to).
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

The tank stays on full until about two thirds full. Says empty at one third full. My mpg stays around 68 mpg. So I know how many miles I can get on a full tank. I don't need tripmeter A to tell me how many miles I have left. I use tripmeter A to tell me when my next maintenance is due. Use tripmeter B to tell me how many miles I have gone since my last tank refill. Resetting tripmeter A resets the mpg making it not very accurate, mine would start in the 30's and fluctuate all over the place, making using it to see how many miles are left pretty much useless. I think it is more accurate just knowing how many miles you have left once the tank says empty than going by tripmeter A. I usually just fill up again when tripmeter B is between 160-180 miles.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There's a light on the dash to tell you when it needs a service.

Resetting trip A does not reduce the accuracy of the economy meter, it increases it.
techrat

Post by techrat »

Hey everyone!!!

UPDATE UPDATE::: I ordered the Honda Larger Windshield -- wow, what a huge difference that made. I didn't realize how much being hit with all that air was impacting how I rode, but sure enough, now that the larger windshield is in place, I can hear the engine and the bike is less challenging to ride. It used to be a little bit exhausting to travel long distances over 50mph; now it's a pleasant experience -- I feel I can be in the saddle for hours. And yes, I'm not getting knocked around as much at highway speeds, so that problem is now solved.

Rear luggage box needed next so I don't have to keep opening the seat to store my work bag. Hopefully I'll have that sorted out before the end of the summer.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

techrat wrote:Rear luggage box needed next so I don't have to keep opening the seat to store my work bag.
Its far easier to open the seat than a luggage box.
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fun2scoot »

Even with a 420 lb bike that box will feel like a billboard in crosswinds
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
techrat wrote:Rear luggage box needed next so I don't have to keep opening the seat to store my work bag.
Its far easier to open the seat than a luggage box.
Well closing is. Especially the Honda box that is the back the wife's PCX. Easier to do a Rubik's cube
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

fun2scoot wrote:Even with a 420 lb bike that box will feel like a billboard in crosswinds
:) Well said, "like a billboard in crosswinds."
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fun2scoot »

LOL, thanks Whitenoise

The PCX's vulnerability to wind can not be overstated. Both front and side. It's bodywork, low weight and CG can be challenging for putting a box high in back. Aerodynamics have tradeoffs.

Noticing the drop in fuel consumption when the Givi D1136ST was mounted, I began switching it and the OEM visor back and forth on my commute and making notes as best I could for speed, wind, and fuel, and would run out a gallon tucked when I could. I even did a grueling tuck for a tankful with each on my off days just to get the extreme numbers, which are, to me anyway, pretty interesting (though I must have appeared foolish):
These are all rough figures, but, with 85kg rider @ 50mph (GPS) @ 6100rpm, over elevation changes of no more than 50' or so, the OEM screen averaged about 93mpg, while the Givi averaged 106 - calculated. And tucked the OEM never got over 100mpg, while the Givi was never under 117.
I did my best not to bias anything. Hopefully I succeeded.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fun2scoot wrote:LOL, thanks Whitenoise

The PCX's vulnerability to wind can not be overstated. Both front and side. It's bodywork, low weight and CG can be challenging for putting a box high in back. Aerodynamics have tradeoffs.

Noticing the drop in fuel consumption when the Givi D1136ST was mounted, I began switching it and the OEM visor back and forth on my commute and making notes as best I could for speed, wind, and fuel, and would run out a gallon tucked when I could. I even did a grueling tuck for a tankful with each on my off days just to get the extreme numbers, which are, to me anyway, pretty interesting (though I must have appeared foolish):
These are all rough figures, but, with 85kg rider @ 50mph (GPS) @ 6100rpm, over elevation changes of no more than 50' or so, the OEM screen averaged about 93mpg, while the Givi averaged 106 - calculated. And tucked the OEM never got over 100mpg, while the Givi was never under 117.
I did my best not to bias anything. Hopefully I succeeded.
It probably can be overstated