You what?.....eh?.....say that again?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

You what?.....eh?.....say that again?

Post by buddy1976 »

Anyone else having problems with their hearing due to long periods riding?

I have been riding my pcx with an ermax +25 windsheild for over 2 years and since installing i have experienced a lot of wind buffeting and am now noticing a ringing in my ears pretty much constantly, the best way to explain the noise is its like when you have been in a night club with loud music until early hours in the morning and you leave the club and your ears are ringing.

I feel this is mainly due to the combination of the aftermarket windsheild and possibly the half faced helmet.

I have been told the damage to my ears is most likely permanent so this is just a warning to anyone who experiences a lot of wind noise to either get some ear plugs or a set of decent noise cancelling ear phones before its too late!
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Re: You what?.....eh?.....say that again?

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I've had issues with my hearing from my LOUD exhaust, I use Moldex Sparkplugs in my ears and that is a blessing, SO nice and quiet, no wind noise. no issues.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:I've had issues with my hearing from my LOUD exhaust, I use Moldex Sparkplugs in my ears and that is a blessing, SO nice and quiet, no wind noise. no issues.
And the people around you? That probably thought you weren't a good advertisement for scooter riders?

Might have been thinking dickhead?

I know I am
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:I've had issues with my hearing from my LOUD exhaust, I use Moldex Sparkplugs in my ears and that is a blessing, SO nice and quiet, no wind noise. no issues.

Don't wire in some HT headphones :lol:
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:

Don't wire in some HT headphones :

It won't make any difference :D
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

you you wrote:
DrewJW wrote:

Don't wire in some HT headphones :

It won't make any difference :D
Ohm, true, just lets wait for the lightning.
aka DrewJW
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Much quieter in full face helmet. I don add earplugs ( although I wear them always at work) because I want to hear cars coming alongside me.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a tall Givi windscreen and I have switched to my summer helmet now, which is probably considered a half helmet with a pull down sun visor. I am 5'10 1/2" tall so I see over the winndscreen. So far, no real wind noise, though i do get buffeting when there is a lot of crosswind. I can hear fine. Before I put the tall Givi on I had installed the Givi mid high windscreen, and I had a LOT of wind noise, buffeting and wind resistance. Even my wife couldn't ride with it. Now both of our bikes have the tall one and we couldn't be happier.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by mtheall »

I've only been riding for about a month, but I always wear earplugs. I've been told that the main cause for hearing loss for motorcycle riders is wind noise, since it is a constant high-pitched noise that can reach 120-130dB, which is much higher than any engine noise. My experience with the earplugs is that the wind noise is significantly reduced, and I can hear the engine where without the earplugs the wind noise totally overpowers the engine noise (I can't hear the engine at all). I can still hear traffic around me fine, I might even say better than without because the wind noise is *that* loud. On the other hand, I can hear people talking to me but I have a hard time understanding what they're saying. Overall, I feel safer with the earplugs.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm
Apparently wind noise and vibration are both a problem and at speeds above 35mph! (the article says full face helmets also do not make much difference to not wearing a helmet at all). Never realised there was a problem like this, esp. wearing a full face at town speeds.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mtheall wrote:I've only been riding for about a month, but I always wear earplugs. I've been told that the main cause for hearing loss for motorcycle riders is wind noise, since it is a constant high-pitched noise that can reach 120-130dB, which is much higher than any engine noise. My experience with the earplugs is that the wind noise is significantly reduced, and I can hear the engine where without the earplugs the wind noise totally overpowers the engine noise (I can't hear the engine at all). I can still hear traffic around me fine, I might even say better than without because the wind noise is *that* loud. On the other hand, I can hear people talking to me but I have a hard time understanding what they're saying. Overall, I feel safer with the earplugs.

Make sure they are fluorescent ones.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

I got the Ermax +25 last summer after a long, long, loooooong wait, installed it, and had the same wind noise problem. I wear a helmet that covers my ears but has the flip down eyeshield -- don't know if that's the reason. I tried the bending of the Ermax with the heat gun procedure and still had the same noise. way too much for comfort. Since I've had the tall Givi I've had no problems. Maybe it's the helmet but the wind is so mild now behind the tall Givi that I guess I'll keep it on.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

you you wrote:
And the people around you? That probably thought you weren't a good advertisement for scooter riders?

Might have been thinking dickhead?

I know I am
Ditto, unless he passes out earplugs to others as he passes.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by mtheall »

By the way, I wear a full face helmet, but it's vented. And supposedly the air flowing through the vents can be just as loud as without a helmet.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/art ... -ear-plugs
Well, not gone 50mph+ so not exactly in the danger league, although longer routine journeys at 40mph is enough to do some damage over time - hmm. My helmet sometimes lets a mild but constant noise in when I come in in the morning (no traffic) so I've just bought some ear-plugs - better safe than sorry. Come in handy when sharing rooms on holiday trips and with a snorer (various club trips and no say in who you share with!) :)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Never ride above 40 mph without hearing protection. Any helmet is still too loud. Even the quietest helmets such as the Schuberth or Shoei Quest still need hearing protection if you are riding above 40 mph. I use Shure SE215 in ear monitors for noise protection and music. Hearing damage is cumulative. You will go deaf in later years if you don't protect you ears. Cheap foam ear plugs at a minimum.
http://www.headphone.com/collections/in ... -earphones
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

WOW! thanks for the happy and helpful comment youyou, things only really get loud at WOT on the dualcarriageway.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012

Post by djcat »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pe ... ns-3498249

I can hear traffic with or without earplugs, at speed even better with them. Tinitus is a nightmare, my dad has it also work related (ah, good old times with workplace safety allowing to smoke in closed rooms and handle noisy building equipment without earplugs).
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Only £6,500 compensation! Even £100,000's doesn't make up for loss of part of your hearing as part of your job.