Rear Wheel 2014 PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Rear Wheel 2014 PCX

Post by jojo87 »

This is the rear wheel noise i've mentioned before,
finally got a video of it but it hasn't picked the sound up well, it's actually a lot louder!

I used to be able to push this Bike and hear nothing, actually.. nothing!
but now... it's this loud rubbing type sound,
again, I can push the Bike and this noise will be loud..
(pushing it forward, not backwards)

I'm pretty sure this is the loud rubbing noise i'm hearing when riding too,
obviously with the Wheel going faster,
i've noticed it recently when blocking the 'rattling noise' I questioned about,
when slowing down etc it's like the Wheel 'rubs'.

I've seen some other videos with the similar/same noise on the PCX,
and the guy mentioned bearings....

What you think?

regarding the rattling sound which is REALLY doing my head in,
i'm not sure where about it's coming from,
maybe all this is to do with the same thing, not sure...
again, not that mechanical at all,
plus the local dealer said it's the quietest Bike he's been on,
well... they deal with big Bikes, and the PCX is known to be quiet,
but having a previous model, and knowing what this 2014 was like when I first got it...
something isn't right,
also a friend of mine having a PCX and his runs silently,
no rattles, no rubbing, no nothing...
but I still can't manage to get a food recording of the throttle rattle,
only caught it a bit when riding on my footage but not enough to know anything.

At 7:22 when taking off to the roundabout, but again, not a good recording!
(the fact other people on the side of my have even mentioned the rattle and rubbing as well, it isn't just me lol)

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Rear Wheel 2014 PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When our pcx had that kind of noise it turned out to be the clutch bearings. However, yours could be this or the wheel bearings. You definitely need to take it to the shop,
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I'll email that dealer again,
as they had it before and said they took the casing off and couldn't see anything wrong,
i'll email them the video and state that a few people have mentioned the Clutch or Wheel Bearings,
i'll also mention that the rattling noise is getting louder,
but the Bike went up by 4 miles when they had it, and they said they rode it and couldn't hear anything,
but again, the PCX is a quiet Bike, and considering it wasn't like it when I bought it.. and my 2013 one wasn't like it,
kind of obviously that something isn't right with this one....
but yeah, will mention Bearings, I read somewhere that some of the newer models had an issue with Bearings,
can't find where I read it to now though, as it would be good to provide that link/article too to the dealer.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Jo, I've had a look at my PCX, (got a vid if you want also ) and spinning my rear wheel, does not reproduce the same grinding noise you have.

After speaking to my old man (old engineer type ) about this, he reckoned on two things

1. Backing the rear brake off to remove it as a candidate

and

2. Checking if their is oil in the rear hub assembly!, this can be done via the lowest bolt, left of the rear brake assembly, and their should be a bolt just above it with a green tint ( on mine their is ) where you add oil.

It is possible perhaps, that your PCX was shipped with little to no oil in the rear assembly?
aka DrewJW
Max11
Year: 2015

Post by Max11 »

Hi jojo, I have the same issues with my 2015 pcx. I described the rattling issue here http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=747&start=20.
I was at Honda dealer today and had a ride with a technician. He said he is hearing the rattle too. So I left my pcx at the dealers service garage. I have also that rubbing noise coming from rear wheel on my PCX, but it's bearable when riding so far, so I don't mind it. But that rattle is absolutely annoying.

Have you located approximate location from where the rattling noise is coming ? Or at least which side of the bike ?
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Im 99% sure it's on the left side...
just weird how it's only when the throttle is turned,
but yeah, pretty sure it's the left side,
I don't think it's the front... and it's not the right side,
it is really annoying though, especially when riding near a wall or parked Cars,
even just riding in the open it's annoying!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I get a noise when moving between 5 and 10mph with very light throttle. If I take the belt cover off and reproduce it appears to be the belt vibrating. It's quite loud when it does it.
The noise you get when you spin the wheel sounds very similar to mine,( it's done 6000 miles).
If you spin the rear wheel the clutch drum rotates in the opposite direction so I don't know if this makes a difference to the noise or not. If I run it on the centre stand it doesn't seen that noisy. I took the clutch assembly off when I serviced it last week and packed the bearing with grease but it didn't make any difference to the sound it made.

When I was in the dealer getting service parts I took the opportunity to spin the back wheel on one of their 2nd hand bikes in the showroom and it sounded the same as mine.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Here is one of the links where we discussed the clutch bearing issue
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... ch+bearing
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

jojo87 wrote:I'll email that dealer again,
as they had it before and said they took the casing off and couldn't see anything wrong,
i'll email them the video and state that a few people have mentioned the Clutch or Wheel Bearings,
but the Bike went up by 4 miles when they had it, and they said they rode it and couldn't hear anything,
but again, the PCX is a quiet Bike, and considering it wasn't like it when I bought it.. and my 2013 one wasn't like it,
but yeah, will mention Bearings, I read somewhere that some of the newer models had an issue with Bearings,
can't find where I read it to now though, as it would be good to provide that link/article too to the dealer.
Okay, that sounds like a case of a lazy and useless dealer. If you're still under warranty, stand behind them and have them dismantle the entire transmission. You can't find a problem by taking off the transmission case and eyeballing it. You need everything taken apart so at the very least, you can isolate the problem. Is it the engine? Is it the rear wheel? Variator? Clutch?

It's their job to find out.

If you're not under warranty, search Google maps for a motorcycle or scooter shop, check their reviews(on Google, Yelp, or both), pick the highest rated one, give them a call, set an appointment, and have them look at it instead. Because I'd be very concerned about my own safety if my PCX made that noise while I'm riding on it at 60+ mph on the freeway, and all of a sudden the rear tire pops off.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Definitely. In fact, when we first brought our bike to the shop we had bought it from they swore that it sounded like all the other brand new ones on the floor. Sure!! When we broght it to the 2nd dealer they listened to it and then rode it around. Then they rode our other pcx and confirmed that the sound definitely was not normal. Then the mechanic called other mechanics in the shop to listen to it and give their opinions. Finally, they called the head mechanic who said right away that there was something seriously wrong with the bike. So, if your mechanic does not give you a satisfactory answer, even if it is under warranty, go to another shop and get their opinion.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jojo87 wrote:I'll email that dealer again,
Trade it in. Buy another one, you'll mever be happy with this bike now
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I've emailed the dealer again and they've said they'll take it back in but will have it longer as they'll have to take it apart....
still waiting for a reply back though.
Tommyaweej

Post by Tommyaweej »

jojo87 wrote:I've emailed the dealer again and they've said they'll take it back in but will have it longer as they'll have to take it apart....
still waiting for a reply back though.
Did you find the problem?