over 40MPH without a screen?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

over 40MPH without a screen?

Post by fish »

Does anyone regularly ride their Forza above 40 MPH with just the stock screen?
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: over 40MPH without a screen?

Post by gn2 »

Yes, me.
reckon that out of the 17,000 miles I've done, more than 12,000 of it has been above 50mph.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Stock screen on mine. 12,000 miles almost exclusively at 65-75 mph. Have rarely ridden anywhere except on the freeway to and from work. I don't like the looks of the larger screens.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Yes, me.
reckon that out of the 17,000 miles I've done, more than 12,000 of it has been above 50mph.

Not so sure about that. It's staggering how slow your average speed is in the UK if you record it, I think you'd be shocked. I've been tracking it on two cars used on a 200 mile daily trip on motorways for the past two years. It's in the high 40s for both. I don't hang around.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:
Not so sure about that. It's staggering how slow your average speed is in the UK if you record it, I think you'd be shocked. I've been tracking it on two cars used on a 200 mile daily trip on motorways for the past two years. It's in the high 40s for both. I don't hang around.
In a car your at the mercy of traffic jams on motorways whereas on a bike you can filter, albeit slower than usual speed!, but then the average speed will be much higher over a distance than in a car which doesn't move for parts of the journey. True of A roads and any back road where cars are caught up but a bike can filter past on much of the journey. Benefit of having a bike in the UK.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:

I'm not talking about average speed, I'm talking about the amount of time spent above 50 mph on 60 & 70 mph A-roads.
Which is the bulk of my road use by a huge margin.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Thanks for the responses.
Just back from a very typical 2 hr ride on my Forza....son on his CB500X.
He lets me lead and we hit 50 for 10% of the ride, the remainder @40.
I don't like the looks of the big screens either....so for now will stay with the stock bike.
He put a small Givi on his bike and says he likes it for the interstate rides he takes.
My Kymco (163cc with the fully lit Bestem rear topcase and City Grips) works great for my all-weather, day & night work commuting in the city. No screen on it either....for the same reason.
My comfort level does not extend much beyond 40mph.....so that is what I ride.
I'm pleased & surprised to find that my son sees some value in cruising country roads at my pace. I did notice that my mpg increases at these higher speeds.
Fish
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

After owning my St 1300 and it's beautiful power windshield, I will try to install a tall windshield on any of my bikes, I really like the optional tall windshield on the forza ,the small windshield does nothing and is a real pain to clean under it , I drove maybe 300 kilometers with the small windshield and couldn't wait to get the tall honda windshield , the honda one I feel looks better then any aftermarket one .
Just my two cents
Don
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by AKforza »

+1 for the tall screen first thing I ordered after the first week. Huge improvement in comfort.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

I bought the tall Honda screen when I bought the Forza, so only rode a few miles with the original short screen. The Forza looks "cooler" with the short screen, but I find the blast of wind in the face with it tiring after a short ride. I also added a laminar Lip to the tall screen, which helps even more, especially in the 40-50 mph range. I can ride comfortably with this setup with the face shield of my flip-front helmet open, even on cool lower 50's, upper 40's days. depending on direction and strength of the wind. I like the "open air" feeling of freedom when the face shield is open.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:
you you wrote:
In a car your at the mercy of traffic jams on motorways whereas on a bike you can filter, albeit slower than usual speed!, but then the average speed will be much higher over a distance than in a car which doesn't move for parts of the journey. True of A roads and any back road where cars are caught up but a bike can filter past on much of the journey. Benefit of having a bike in the UK.

I'm rarely caught in a traffic jam
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

+1 on a tall windshield for the Forza. I put the tall Givi on mine and it is very comfortable and quiet at 70 mph. I am waiting for a Parabellum touring WS on my new V-Strom because the shorty stock one has a lot of noise and buffeting - even on the highest setting.

I actually think the tall WS looks better on the Forza as a modern touring bike rather than a sport scooter. My son even made fun saying it looks like a sport bike from the front but then you move a bit and it's still a scooter. :roll:
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

I drove almost 70 miles a day without a higher screen.
The average speed is 80 mph.

But now I have a givi screen it is so much better.
Speed up goed faster cause of the wind goed around you.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dadragon wrote:I drove almost 70 miles a day without a higher screen.

Oh God. No your average speed isn't 80mph. Ffs
pja2536
Year: 2013
Color: BLACK

Post by pja2536 »

Me too! I chose a Forza mainly because it didn't have a big screen. Previously I have owned a SilverWing 600 - a great bike spoilt by an extremely noisy large screen. If I could have got a "Forza-type" screen I think I would still have the SilverWing.

Regards,
Peter
Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."

Henry Lawson, August, 1895
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

I must be a "wimp"...Cannot imagine riding the Forza ( or any scooter for that matter) in Scotland without a high screen...protection from cold wind and rain..In rain with the tall screen the only time I get wet is when stationary....and I dont notice any issues re speed/acceleration or unacceptable noise or effects of wind...no effect on MPG that I can see as still get 86/87 UK MPG at all speeds ...However just back from holiday in south of Spain ( not with scooter) and if living there I can see I would likely have stuck with the stock screen...saw loads of scooters and very few with high screen....
Just a personal comfort choice for me.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

There is one other consideration for a tall wind screen....your hearing.

50 years of riding, some off it with poor helmet styles (because they looked cool!) and without wind screens (because they didn't look cool!) have led to a condition known as tinnitus.
It's more or less like the sound of 1 million crickets singing on a warm summer's evening.
(the ones on the right sing about a full note lower pitch than the ones on the left!)

for years they thought it was loud engines and custom pipes that did us in, but now they know it is high pressure air.... the roar of wind noise @75mph.

A wind screen that directs air towards your chin (the opening of the helmet), a wind screen that causes buffeting (actually rapidly fluctuating air pressure around your head), or a helmet design that catches and compresses air inside the helmet shell causing high overpressure....
all these things put your eardrums through pressure oscillations (both positive and negative) outside their design parameters.
The effects are cumulative and irreversible.

One study suggested that permanent damage could occur after a single 5 minute 65mph ride with the wrong type of equipment.

They're just getting to a point where they may have a practical system to rate helmets by their noise levels, if they use it.

So, yes, stuff earplugs in them and definitely use a nice quiet fullface helmet but if you ride at highway speeds for any amount of time, consider a tall screen...
otherwise, get use to night jar or

.........CRICKETS!!!!
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

you you wrote:

It sure is.
95% is highway. So my average speed is 80 mph.
135 - 140 kmh on highway is 85 mph.
But the 5% is 80 - 90 kmh. That is around 50 mph.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dadragon wrote:
you you wrote:

It sure is.
95% is highway. So my average speed is 80 mph.
135 - 140 kmh on highway is 85 mph.
But the 5% is 80 - 90 kmh. That is around 50 mph.
Amazing 80mph average speed. Are you using your scooter?
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

I use the forza for traveling to work.