J.Costa variator on 2015 PCX 125 ESP

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

glennix
Year: 2015 125cc ESP
Color: white

J.Costa variator on 2015 PCX 125 ESP

Post by glennix »

Hello, I'm new here, my name is Glen and I have a new 2015 PCX 125 with ESP.

It goes around 100 km/h but I've heard that you can make it faster on acceleration and top speed with a sports variator or with sliding rollers.
I went to my dealer and asked some info and my dealer suggested a J.Costa variator because this is the only one they work with. So I've ordered a J.Costa variator for my pcx but it will take some time before it reaches the dealer. My dealer also said that this will help for faster acceleration but won't do anything for top speed.

Now my question is: Will a J.Costa variator help for better top speed and acceleration on my 2015 PCX 125 with ESP? Because I've also heard that the newer pcx's with ESP have lower power and that it will not help acceleration and top speed?

Can anyone give me more information on this cause I'm quite curious. :) Thanks!

PS: Sorry if this question is asked already a million times. :oops:

Greetings
Glen. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: J.Costa variator on 2015 PCX 125 ESP

Post by you you »

glennix wrote:Hello, I'm new here, my name is Glen and I have a new 2015 PCX 125 with ESP.

It goes around 100 km/h but I've heard that you can make it faster on acceleration and top speed with a sports variator or with sliding rollers.
I went to my dealer and asked some info and my dealer suggested a J.Costa variator because this is the only one they work with. So I've ordered a J.Costa variator for my pcx but it will take some time before it reaches the dealer. My dealer also said that this will help for faster acceleration but won't do anything for top speed.

Now my question is: Will a J.Costa variator help for better top speed and acceleration on my 2015 PCX 125 with ESP? Because I've also heard that the newer pcx's with ESP have lower power and that it will not help acceleration and top speed?

Can anyone give me more information on this cause I'm quite curious. :) Thanks!

PS: Sorry if this question is asked already a million times. :oops:

Greetings
Glen. ;)

Altering a component in the transmission wouln't make a huge amount of difference as the bike only makes a pathetic amount of power. That's its charm. If you want to go faster get a faster vehicle. More than one or two possibilities out there
glennix

Post by glennix »

Well still waiting for the j.costa vario will reach my dealer...
glennix

Post by glennix »

So I've got the j.costa vario and the acceleration is improved but the topspeed is still 100 km/h.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

glennix wrote:So I've got the j.costa vario and the acceleration is improved but the topspeed is still 100 km/h.
:| that sucks... 100km was also your stock top speed right?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote:
glennix wrote:So I've got the j.costa vario and the acceleration is improved but the topspeed is still 100 km/h.

I haven't laughed so much since my granny died....
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

There is some problem with your transmission...
I have also an 125eSP and stock top speed was around 120 and with JCosta around 130. Some mods in the JCosta and I was geting around 132.

It was my first video with JCosta and two persons downhill.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvn4ir1svE8[/youtube]

Here with some mods in the JCosta but in the center stand.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TEzrpgurj0[/youtube]

And here with Dr. Pulleys 15gr.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3omyzUQ_FQ[/youtube]

I have also other mods like air filter, etc, etc...
glennix

Post by glennix »

nribeiro wrote:There is some problem with your transmission...
I have also an 125eSP and stock top speed was around 120 and with JCosta around 130. Some mods in the JCosta and I was geting around 132.

It was my first video with JCosta and two persons downhill.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvn4ir1svE8[/youtube]

Here with some mods in the JCosta but in the center stand.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TEzrpgurj0[/youtube]

And here with Dr. Pulleys 15gr.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3omyzUQ_FQ[/youtube]

I have also other mods like air filter, etc, etc...
It's a brand new bike so there's nothing wrong with my transmission, apparently the 2014 model has a different gearing so it accelerates faster buth with lower top speed. But I 'm quite happy with the acceleration and don't do highway so speedwise is fine.
glennix

Post by glennix »

you you wrote:
dasshreddar wrote:

I haven't laughed so much since my granny died....
Glad you're happy. :roll:
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Sorry to say, but you might have to change to another variator if you want more top speed. I personally think the j costa vario is limiting in the sense that you can't exactly change out the weights to lighter ones in order to tune your acceleration.

For your next, I would recommend either NCY, Takegawa, or the Yuminashi variators. Takegawa might be best if you want to use Dr. Pulley sliders on top of that(which last much longer than rollers).
glennix

Post by glennix »

Valiant wrote:
Sorry to say, but you might have to change to another variator if you want more top speed. I personally think the j costa vario is limiting in the sense that you can't exactly change out the weights to lighter ones in order to tune your acceleration.

For your next, I would recommend either NCY, Takegawa, or the Yuminashi variators. Takegawa might be best if you want to use Dr. Pulley sliders on top of that(which last much longer than rollers).
Hi Valiant, thanks for the tips. But could it be that the bike just doesn't have enough power? When I go of a hill the bike goes faster so it isn't limited by the speed limiter. I'm also not the smallest person I weigh around 90kg.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

glennix wrote: Hi Valiant, thanks for the tips. But could it be that the bike just doesn't have enough power? When I go of a hill the bike goes faster so it isn't limited by the speed limiter. I'm also not the smallest person I weigh around 90kg.
Very much possible. I weigh about the same as you, though I'm usually in ATGATT on top of that, and I'm lugging around 25 lbs of chains and padlocks o_O .

Lighter weights might help, but the gearing might simply be too long as well. I'm not too sure if the peak power rpm is the same for the 125, but you could try aim for that(8,000-8,500 rpms) by tuning the weights. Might need a tachometer to know where you're at though.

Still, 100 kph = 62 mph. That sounds like a perfectly reasonable road speed if you haven't modified the engine at all.
glennix

Post by glennix »

Today I reached 116 km/h downhill on the speedo. :) On a flat road without to many wind blowing against me in front I reached 108 km/h on the speedo. :) I realise that top speed is also depended about the condition of the road. And where I live the most roads aren't in great condition. :|

I've also ordered a J.Costa exhaust, I bought it more for the sound and looks but if it also helps for even better acceleration and top speed I won't complain. :lol:
glennix

Post by glennix »

I've got the J.Costa exhaust and I must say: Wow what a difference! There was very much wind against and my pcx reached 110 km/h! It went so fast to that speed, unbelievable. I'm sure it can go even faster without to many wind against! So J.Costa variator in combination with J.Costa exhaust is definatly recomanded! :D
glennix

Post by glennix »

I've installed a givi d1136st windshield and now my topspeed is 118 km/h on the speedo and 108 km/h gps on a flat road.
pcxcool
Color: black

Post by pcxcool »

hello I have the new 2015 PCX 125 with ESP as it came from the factory :D and I get 110 km/h (perhaps 108 km/h). :lol:
I think it's the right speed for this weight and tire size :P
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I kept everything the same on my 15 , and just swapped the stock rollers for some $29 13g dr pulley sliders. Substantial change in acceleration, I don't need to do anything else. Top end still above 58 or so.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
kajatierik
Year: 2014

Post by kajatierik »

Jge64:: what was weight of stock rollers? ... i want to buy sliders, and I'm not decided which weight ... how about fuel consumption? ... is speed uphill better? :)
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

glennix wrote:I've installed a givi d1136st windshield and now my topspeed is 118 km/h on the speedo and 108 km/h gps on a flat road.

Sorry for bumping an old thread. If you are still listening. What tires are you using?

At least your numbers agree with mine.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Not that I'm modding my pcx but isn't it acceleration on the horizontal and uphill that matters - not downhill? You should be able to go fast downhill with no engine :)