Hello from a new owner in the UK!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

StuAff

Hello from a new owner in the UK!

Post by StuAff »

I've been lurking on the forum for a year or since I joined the world of (powered) biking- I'm a keen cyclist- and I first discovered the PCX. Lot of interesting and useful discussions on here, which have been very helpful in deciding to go for one. And now, I might well have some info of my own to disclose now I'm buying, so I've signed up.

I've just come back from a shopping trip to a Honda dealer this morning. I went to look at a nearly-new bike...which had been sold, and for a test ride…which I couldn't have, the dealer informed me the previous night (dealer's insurance company said no- I have a CBT certificate not a full licence and they'd recently had a couple of prangs with other CBT riders). That was the bad news. The good news was I got a great deal on a new PCX instead! Deposit paid for an in-stock bike, and I'll be back to pick it up on Friday. Oh, and it's a different colour too- the nearly-new one was Carbonium Grey (which I did really like the look of, but it seemed to be a dirt magnet, and they didn't have that colour in stock anyway) but mine will be red, and it looked even better. I'm getting the 29l top box and Honda screen fitted- I knew I'd want those (or third-party versions) anyway, as I won't be trading in my current 50cc bike taking some extras gave a bit more scope for a good deal.

Possibly overlong background info follows :)

The whole reason for getting a CBT and then a scooter in the first place is that my commute (I work in a mail sorting office) has just gone from five miles a day, which I cycled, to twenty-one or so. I'll probably cycle that once or twice a week when the weather's right, but not really an option for five days a week, every week. And I'm on a late shift, finishing 9.30 each night, so I wouldn't get home till eleven or so. The office move has been a while in the planning, though it was pretty much on the cards as soon as the review was announced- the old building just doesn't do the job anymore. Trains are expensive, would take me an hour door-to-door, and no direct services (so extra opportunity to be late). I don't drive a car, never had so much as a lesson, and have no particular interest in getting one and spending ££££ commuting in a metal box. The idea of getting a scooter came to mind pretty quickly- and I didn't even have to buy the 50cc one I have now, as I won it in a competition! Did the CBT after hearing that good news (I had to so I could actually take the bike) back in November 2013, the bike eventually got delivered in February. And I (with the benefit of hindsight, wrongly), absolutely hated it. Power delivery was horribly jerky (engine not warmed up, and not run in), it felt so cumbersome compared to my bicycles, and a five-mile commute on it was more expense and bother than it was worth. So, with less than 50km (yes, the odometer reads in km, not miles), it went in the garage for a year. I didn't like riding it and I didn't need to as the work changes dragged on and on (the office review started in November 2012, closure announced July 2014, and staff have been moving only for the last few weeks). No point doing anything with it till I needed to...

I finally heard for sure I'd get transferred to the new place in January, and I got less than two weeks notice of the actual moving date (last Monday). Fortunately I had a week off work to get things sorted out- got the 50cc dusted off and serviced (even with my dislike of it, it was the best option to get to work) and made enquiries about a PCX, which I'd pencilled in as the replacement (in part thanks to all the positive feedback about the bike on this very forum). One (local-ish) dealer failed to reply to my email asking if they had stock and a test bike, another one advertised an ex-demo bike on eBay- the old, hump-seat (etc) version, so clearly not that new- at not much of a discount, which didn't fill me with confidence in their honesty or ability. Blade Honda in Reading had the aforementioned nearly-new bike (10 miles) advertised at £300 less than new, so I dropped them a line asking about a part-exchange. Andy there got back to me quickly and was very helpful- not willing/able to take the 50cc, but definitely willing and able to do a deal....

In the meantime I've been commuting on the 50cc. Have to say it's been a lot better than I'd expected- though that's probably my expectations being low rather than the bike being anything like as bad, thankfully. Monday's first trip to work not too bad, return was a nightmare though (I forgot to take it off the side stand before starting, only remembered after much stress and about fifteen minutes, then it took what felt like an age to warm up, and I took a few detours....). But, despite the trip (22 miles each way, fairly hilly, some fast roads- alternatives being too fast for a bike limited to 28 mph) being really too much for an 3.5 hp urban runabout, it got me to and from work in an hour or so each way every other day, and a couple of hundred miles seem to have run it in nicely- warm-up barely needed Friday night. It's done OK, very well in fact, and I've only used about six litres of petrol over the week (rough guess 120 mpg), but I'd like to get to and from work quicker, with a bit more comfort, longer range, and being able to carry more than a toothbrush on the bike (climbing is slow enough without a loaded top box!)....it's too much to do on a 50cc week-in-week out. So up to Reading I went, any disappointment at 'my' discounted bike having gone rapidly went, deal struck, deposit paid.

Not excited about picking the PCX on Friday. Very excited :)
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Hello from a new owner in the UK!

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Welcome, good write-up! I am close to ordering my PCX also, currently on a 110cc Honda Vision at the minute. 7k miles in 2years and being traded in for a 2015 PCX this April, thinking of going red myself. I am in two mind between white/red currently.
aka DrewJW
scottyb
Year: 2015
Color: grey

Post by scottyb »

Hello and welcome

Now thats some intro...lol.
i like yourself am new to biking and purchased my PCX last October
from Honda in Milton Keynes,i have a Carbonium Grey one and like you said it is a dirt magnet.I currently use it for commuting to the station around 5.5 miles each way on roads of 60/70 MPH and feel quite comfortable plodding along at 50 MPH although it will go up 60
quite easily.Unfortunately last night some fool pulled out on me and left me laying in the road and decided to speed off,luckily im okay but the bike has some scratches and needs some panels re-aligning.
I dont want to put a downer on your excitement and sorry if i have but just to let you know these machines have quite a bit of power to them compared to your 50cc.Its in for its first service on Thursday and for repair so all good hopefully.
Good luck on friday and enjoy the experience.
Regards
Scott.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Welcome both of you to PCX world! I have the white 2015 pcx and find it's not too bad for dirt panel wise, although the wheels and engine area catch dirt due to london's dirty roads (councils do not seem to clean most of them anymore) and rain. First time biking and taking my CBT was the first time on 2 wheels in 19 years!
I only go 40moh max and have a 9 mile commute each way but getting 130mpg+, so the 125 can give more economy than the 50cc and perhaps older 110 if not ridden full throttle and 50+ (not easy to do that in town!).
Most weeks there's a high percentage of idiots on the road - pulling out last minute, tail-gateing, not indicating, etc, and had some plonker (probably never passed a UK test or licenced) who was in the rhl turning right (last minute) at lights in front of a bus in the lh bus lane at the lights! (they even pulled away a meter or so when the next set of lights turned green but ours was red). The bus driver was not happy when the lights went green :)
Best advice is to take it easy, watch out all the time, wear some proper protection that has armour on the elbows/knees and wear proper gloves and good helmet (box/shock are qualified DOT/ECE approved and only cost £40, or you can get a better helmet for less than £80 - no need to spend £400!)
Even with all the idiots or people who don't give a t**s, if you ride safely you should avoid having accidents - even if people pull out, if your watching and expecting, usually you can stop in time.
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

Thanks gents- pretty nasty experience there Scott, at least you were alright. Hope they catch the driver.

Doing these 42 miles a day hasn't been a baptism of fire, but there has been some warmth- a few close passes, and as I know well from many cycling miles- I do 7,000 or so a year, including a lot of night riding- too many drivers on rural roads act like they can see round corners and don't ease up a bit because it's dark. I'm well aware the PCX has nearly four times the power of my 50- rest assured I'll be taking it easy and gentle on the throttle, because I have to anyway. A lot of roads in the city are 20 mph limit, so even on a 50 you have to watch your speed (I've broken it a few times on a bicycle...but that's not illegal!). I've been pretty determined to ride within my limits, not the bike's, so I feel the need to ease down I do, even in daylight on a quiet stretch, let alone on a dark country road with overhanging trees where you can't see that far ahead even with lights on full beam. Speed limits are not a recommendation after all (though lots of cagers seem to think otherwise...). In terms of riding safely, the cyclist mindset works for a low-powered bike- i.e. caution, taking primary when need be, giving drivers a little more room when safe and practicable, waiting for a decent gap at roundabouts, and so on. I'd much rather take a few minutes more to and fro and ride and feel safer than get into trouble. My route home from Reading will be carefully worked out with the same approach in mind- quieter roads definitely better to get acquainted with the PCX. I've got some decent gear- the 50 came with a big package of Tucano Urbano clothing, all good stuff, the jacket gets a lot of use off the bike as well, armour, & gloves excellent too. That lot included an open-face helmet but I got an excellent (especially for £40!!) flip-front in Lidl the other week- it's a bit noisy but otherwise I'm impressed.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome. Glad the forum has been of assistance.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Welcome. :)

Great intro. :D

Health to ride dude. :)
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

Well, I picked her up yesterday. Took the trip home nice and steady, it took me over two hours as I made up the route as I went along, and got slowed by the odd jam and typical British crazy road design. I also took a few more miles than need be (60 in the end), as I went for roads I knew well rather than a direct route, and never went over 50 or so, mostly at 30-40 mph. I know the bike could handle it perfectly but I'm nervous in blustery conditions (I've only had two weeks of riding, really...), eased up on corners and so on. And I certainly didn't want a prang.. bike and nerves survived utterly intact. Very happy indeed with the PCX. I got used to the extra power very quickly, and it accelerates up to 40 mph the way the 50cc does to 20. Handy for A-roads. Not sure about the windshield yet- as others have said, I don't think it was designed with taller riders in mind (I'm 5ft 10) and the turbulence only eased if I tucked myself down. Might try sitting back a bit, see if that helps. Otherwise, spot on- clearly a notch or three above the 50 in terms of design and build quality, very comfortable (I know the rear shock gets a bad press but I thought it was fine), thoughtful design touches. And that gentle trip home meant I got 150 mpg according to the trip computer. Started first time, every time, and the idle stop worked very well. A little disconcerting the first time the engine cut out but the restarts really are instant and it rapidly became 'normal'. Looking forward to cutting a fair chunk of time off my commute on Monday.

Daft newbie question: Andy the dealer showed me how to remove the (Honda) top box, which looked very simple and I promptly forgot...how do I do it?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hey, glad you got yours, I'm hopefully trading my Vision in and starting the ball rolling on a PCX this Monday! really looking forward to that.

(pics btw)
aka DrewJW
V65Mag
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by V65Mag »

New to forum, -from the Pittsburgh Pa area, and just picked up a 2013 PCX 150 today, used that had 73 miles, and took out on a first ride today. 9-10 Years ago, I had a 1986 CH 150, and it ran strong, but the PCX is better handling, and better to ride (bigger wheels help).

I have a Silverwing and a V65 Magna, now, sold the ST1100 and BMW R1100RT. My objective was a little scoot that could go 50-55 on 2 or 4 lane roads, something light enough to take on vacation, and something with enough performance to keep speed on the hills of Western Pa. I had a CH80 about 15 years ago, and the 80 did not run strong enough to keep up with traffic here. I was not sure about the 110, but when the 150 came out I kept looking. A fellow bought one from a dealer going out of business and he rode it for about 2 weeks and decided he wanted an old 70s parallel twin, so he sold it to me for a great deal, and it's almost new with 73 miles, now about 95 miles.

May put on an exhaust, K&N and a Givi or other windshield (open to suggestions on the shield). Put a Leo Vince on the Silverwing, and it's more responsive, just breathes a little better and runs better.

On the brief ride today, the PCX is pretty much exactly what I wanted and expected. Heck of a good little scoot and as one fellow said, after riding bigger bikes, some high horsepower bikes, a CH 80, CH150, Majesty 400, bunch of motorcycles, this PCX should not be this fun, but it is ! Looking at the posts on the forum, looks like a nice group.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Im a British ex pat. The Uk has some really stupid licensing laws. Though you guys get all the cool bikes.
YorksForzaRider

Post by YorksForzaRider »

Hi there

Congrats on getting your PCX. I picked mine up 3 weeks ago( similar story, went to look at a nearly new one that had been sold that day, so got a good offer on a new one. Hmm, is there a theme here?)

This is my first bike/scoot, so got kitted up, jacket, helmet etc. the dealer done a good deal, got everything for less than £250.

I was a little worried riding home that 1st time, having a 30 mile trip with the only time I'd been on a bike during my CBT.,but enjoying it now. Should have done it years ago.

As a newbe the only advise I can give is to make the assumption everyone one the road on 4 wheels (or more ) is going to kill you and be ready for the stupid things they do.
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

YorksPcxRider wrote: As a newbe the only advise I can give is to make the assumption everyone one the road on 4 wheels (or more ) is going to kill you and be ready for the stupid things they do.
As a cyclist I make that assumption already ;)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

DrewJW wrote:Hey, glad you got yours, I'm hopefully trading my Vision in and starting the ball rolling on a PCX this Monday! really looking forward to that.(pics btw)
How did you find the Vision? I was going for a 110 Vision rather than the PCX due to being 80cm's narrower so better for filtering, but in the end went for the 2015 pcx.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

iceman wrote:
DrewJW wrote:Hey, glad you got yours, I'm hopefully trading my Vision in and starting the ball rolling on a PCX this Monday! really looking forward to that.(pics btw)
How did you find the Vision? I was going for a 110 Vision rather than the PCX due to being 80cm's narrower so better for filtering, but in the end went for the 2015 pcx.
A damn good bike was my first so really all I have known, easily capable around town with traffic, ride is a touch harsh but it handles really well and confident never a problem. Build quality is on a par with the PCX's I've seen, and fuel wise I get about 80miles from a tankful, given i'm not the lightest bloke about, and I drive over the moors at about 60mph (limited to 63mph downhill i've found ) but that is flat out down, up hill you get about 45mph, and on a flat you can see 55mph top end WOT.

One critique I have about is the speedo position, with a full face you have to take your view from the road, to the speedo to keep an eye on it, something i notice with the PCX you don't, just a consideration, the mirrors also benefit from risers which I got with a Givi screen, so you can do more then admire your lovely shoulders when on the road.

Oh and in finishing the exhaust has a lovely note when you get into the revs about 35mph onwards :) will miss mine somewhat but looking forward to the bit more power with the PCX and after 7,200miles in 2years it's time to move on. :)
aka DrewJW
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

StuAff wrote:
YorksPcxRider wrote: As a newbe the only advise I can give is to make the assumption everyone one the road on 4 wheels (or more ) is going to kill you and be ready for the stupid things they do.
As a cyclist I make that assumption already ;)

You can say that again. Even pedestrians give as good as the motorists too o_O
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

DrewJW wrote:
iceman wrote:
ride is a touch harsh but it handles really well and confident never a problem.
Be interesting to hear what you think of the PCX ride re. suspension. Like many others I found it dire at first but have got used to it - just expect to feel almost every bump/dip.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

To be honest, I expect the PCX to be quite similar to the Vision, Honda's approach to suspension on their cheaper bikes is basically granite and a spring. All being well the trade-in will happen tomorrow, and i can post here what color (in between red/white atm ) I have chosen.
aka DrewJW
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

First commute on the PCX today. Ride in was a little quicker- maybe ten minutes, but there was a lot of traffic on the A27 (idle stop kicked in more than a few times, spent a lot of time below 30), so I'll probably try the longer but quieter route I've used the last couple of weeks, have a feeling it'll prove quicker during the daytime. Ride back was faster still- I got it down to about an hour on the 50, but tonight I did it in 45 minutes, and I think I could probably knock a little more off that time without taking risks or breaking any speed limits (and it would be so easy on this run to do that!). Computer reckons 150 mpg for there and back.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

150mpg! (I believe the computer is slightly in error with that one, at best you'll get near or just above 130mpg which Honda claim). If your riding 50mph or so the mpg will fall much less than that.