PCX 150 speed increase options

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

ert13
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: White

PCX 150 speed increase options

Post by ert13 »

I recently bought a used 2013 150 pcx with 9500km on the clock. The top speed i get is 100kmph (gps), which is a bit on the low side for me. I would like to get the speed up between 110 and 120kmph.
I am not sure which variator, drive face and roller set to get. From the forums the NCY set seem to work for some people and then some people reported no speed increase at all.

My options that I am considering at this point are the following:
NCY set:
http://tinyurl.com/qbg6suy
Kitaco set:
http://tinyurl.com/pc8a7tr
Daytona set:
http://tinyurl.com/o34c5x6
Venom Set
http://tinyurl.com/p6kvp83

Any recommendations are welcome.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Re: PCX 150 speed increase options

Post by Valiant »

I use the NCY set myself, which is a good set.

Before you shell money out on that however, consider buying a more powerful bike(Forza, or other 250cc motorcycle).

I say that because swapping the variator might not get you where you want it to be(68-74mph) unless it's under ideal conditions.

My 2015 PCX struggles to get to 65 mph, and one time did 71 mph(114km/h) when going downhill with no headwind. Now admittedly there's the handicap of having 2 saddlebags, a top box, and a 200 lbs rider with very bulky gear.

On the other hand, mine is modified a bit more than what you're looking at:
-NCY Variator set
-SP Takegawa Silent Oval Exhaust
-DNA performance air filter(removed the snorkel and slapped on an airbox cover with an unobstructed opening so there's more airflow)
-NCY Secondary Pulley Assembly

You might barely be able to get your top speed where you want it to be, but you really need ideal riding conditions to hit that top speed. I just wanted to get you acquainted with that fact before you put more money into it, because where I'm at, I won't get any more speed out of mine without screwing with the engine. The gearing on mine should be good for 74 mph, but the engine simply doesn't produce enough power to get me up to that speed.
ert13

Post by ert13 »

Thank you for your reply Valiant.
There are unfortunately not a lot of options available when it comes to scooter sizes in the country where I live. The forza is not being sold in my country. The next available size will be the Integra which is a lot more money and is too large. I would have to go with a motorcycle like cbr 250, which also I am not too keen on doing.

I fortunately picked up this pcx for a very good price. So I am able to spend a bit of money to improve the performance of the pcx.

Am I correct in saying that a aftermarket drive face will provide higher speed (Advance Pro V2?) and that an aftermarket variator and rollers will improve acceleration rather than increase speed?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

The drive face works together with the variator to function as a pulley face. It would typically be recommended to purchase both from the same maker in order to ensure that both are the same angle and diameter, though the AdvancedPro drive face doesn't have a pairing variator, and I've used that particular one with the NCY Vario with no evident issues. I would say the important part of having a matching drive face is so that your belt isn't running lopsided.

The variator largely determines the gearing(top speed), lighter roller weights would delay the amount of time it takes for the variator to push the belt all the way out. Basically it means you'll stay in lower gear longer so that you can build up rpms faster. If you've ever rode a bicycle with multiple speeds, you should know it takes longer to get up to speed if you start out with the last gear instead of going through the lower ones first. That's basically what the lighter rollers do.

In any event, if you're committed to the PCX, you can try just the transmission mods to see how you like it. Despite my aftermarket exhaust and airbox, I'm not entirely sure that actually allowed me to get up to a higher top speed, maybe it just bumped up acceleration a bit.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:The drive face works together with the variator to function as a pulley face. It would typically be recommended to purchase both from the same maker in order to ensure that both are the same angle and diameter, though the AdvancedPro drive face doesn't have a pairing variator, and I've used that particular one with the NCY Vario with no evident issues. I would say the important part of having a matching drive face is so that your belt isn't running lopsided.

The variator largely determines the gearing(top speed), lighter roller weights would delay the amount of time it takes for the variator to push the belt all the way out. Basically it means you'll stay in lower gear longer so that you can build up rpms faster. If you've ever rode a bicycle with multiple speeds, you should know it takes longer to get up to speed if you start out with the last gear instead of going through the lower ones first. That's basically what the lighter rollers do.

In any event, if you're committed to the PCX, you can try just the transmission mods to see how you like it. Despite my aftermarket exhaust and airbox, I'm not entirely sure that actually allowed me to get up to a higher top speed, maybe it just bumped up acceleration a bit.

I like how slow the PCX goes. It's part of its charm
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

you you wrote:
Valiant wrote:The drive face works together with the variator to function as a pulley face. It would typically be recommended to purchase both from the same maker in order to ensure that both are the same angle and diameter, though the AdvancedPro drive face doesn't have a pairing variator, and I've used that particular one with the NCY Vario with no evident issues. I would say the important part of having a matching drive face is so that your belt isn't running lopsided.

I like how slow the PCX goes. It's part of its charm
I also like the how slow and relaxed it goes.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote: I like how slow the PCX goes. It's part of its charm
Aside from that "freeway legal" bit.

I generally find that better acceleration is good to avoid getting honked at when getting on the freeway.
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

I rode motorcycles for many years. The PCX150 is my first scooter. At present, I'm inclined to leave it stock, as it appears that most of the mods
provide relatively small gains in speed. If it appears that the PCX just seems too slow, I'll probably just "upgrade" to a Forza or other more
powerful scooter. The PCX power seems adequate for my riding needs ( I'm 72, so riding modified or just stage 1 kitted machines doesn't have
as much appeal as it once had ).

Note: The Ducati sport bike that I had for 10 years prior to getting the PCX had a zero to 60 time of 3 seconds, with a top speed of 155 or so.
But the PCX is just more fun.....still don't understand it....but it is.

Johnny
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

jblye wrote:I rode motorcycles for many years. The PCX150 is my first scooter. At present, I'm inclined to leave it stock, as it appears that most of the mods
provide relatively small gains in speed. If it appears that the PCX just seems too slow, I'll probably just "upgrade" to a Forza or other more
powerful scooter. The PCX power seems adequate for my riding needs ( I'm 72, so riding modified or just stage 1 kitted machines doesn't have

Note: The Ducati sport bike that I had for 10 years prior to getting the PCX had a zero to 60 time of 3 seconds, with a top speed of 155 or so.

Johnny
My brother has a Ducati. I suspect the main issue is that stupid stiff clutch lever, which makes it a pain in heavy traffic. While I'm sure it can reach 100 mph easy, going 80 mph or faster will get you a ticket in a hurry here in Hawaii, so that seems like a lot of wasted potential.
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

Valiant, I laughed when I read your comment about the stiff clutch on the Ducati.

I agree.

After I bought the Ducati, I complained to the dealer that the clutch was very stiff.
His comment: " It's a man's bike. Your hand will get stronger." .

He was right. My hand did get stronger. But the clutch was still a bit of a nuisance
in stop and go traffic...even when my hand became "manly".

Cycle World said it well: " This bike is not a grocery getter. This bike likes to stretch
its legs". And it did. And the Leo Vince carbon superbike mufflers made a soulful
sound when in full song. But it was simply more bike than I really needed. Who needs
to go 155 mph ?

Johnny
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Dis guy:
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

However, I'll still stand by what I said:
If you're going to hop on the freeway a lot, you'll want to use lighter rollers and possibly an aftermarket variator. The 0-60 speed with stock led to a LOT of honking whenever I merge from the ramp or try to hop over to the left lane to avoid cars coming in from a ramp every 1/4 mile.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you keep in mind that the pcx was not intended as a full time freeway bike, you will be much happier. We use ours on back country roads where the max speed limit is 55, and we love them because they are so easy to control that we can spend our ride seeing the country instead of just controlling the "beast", like Ducati riders do. The big advantage the pcx has over most bigger bikes is that it turns easily, so you don't have to wrestle it into an alley if you want to cut through to your local coffee shop. My Burgman 400 was a charm to ride, but it was heavy which meant that it took a lot of effort for me to turn into an alley while following my wife's pcx. So, i traded it for a pcx of my own.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ert13

Post by ert13 »

Took the plunge and bought a few items. Will see how it goes.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Mel46 wrote:If you keep in mind that the pcx was not intended as a full time freeway bike, you will be much happier. We use ours on back country roads where the max speed limit is 55, and we love them because they are so easy to control that we can spend our ride seeing the country instead of just controlling the "beast", like Ducati riders do. The big advantage the pcx has over most bigger bikes is that it turns easily, so you don't have to wrestle it into an alley if you want to cut through to your local coffee shop. My Burgman 400 was a charm to ride, but it was heavy which meant that it took a lot of effort for me to turn into an alley while following my wife's pcx. So, i traded it for a pcx of my own.
People criticize my decision to buy an underpowered CBR 125R but this bike is so easy to ride in traffic, both in terms of power and weight. I quit trying to reason with them. I have no problems with fast bikes, I'd love to try one someday, but I have no desire to waste my money on toys at this stage of life if ever. If I did get something bigger, I would have to justify it.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had larger, faster bikes, but i have never had one that is so much fun to ride as the pcx. At my age right now, i doubt that i will buy another large bike, but i applaud those who can afford a larger one to keep their pcx company. If we came into a large sum of money i would consider a triked Burgman 650 so that my wife could ride or drive. Right now the 650 would be too large for her to be able to hold up unless it is triked. She also doesn't do well with gears, so a scooter seems to be the best compromise. We both loved my Burgman 400, and she could hold it up, but i would worry about her dropping the bike because she is only 5 ft. tall. Thus, the pcx meets all of the requirements we need minus being able to keep up with traffic in the fast lane... so we won't go in the fast lane.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
forza300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by forza300 »

jblye wrote:I rode motorcycles for many years. The PCX150 is my first scooter. At present, I'm inclined to leave it stock, as it appears that most of the mods

Johnny
Hi Johnny, similar situation here mate. Many bikes incl 996, 796M and 1100M all with extra fruit not to mention shitloads of money thrown at them. Back in the day it was knee dragging and wheelies but now I actually enjoy riding again. Bit like my first ever bike. You're right, it's hard to explain but the purity of riding isn't a function of torque vs rpm. It's about the moment, the smile of your face, the smell of the roses, the fly that got sucked in your helmet air vent and is still alive somewhere around your ear, the enjoyment I like to call it.

Enjoy mate and ride safe :) Welcome to your first bike again ;)
------------------------
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Mel46 wrote:If you keep in mind that the pcx was not intended as a full time freeway bike, you will be much happier. We use ours on back country roads where the max speed limit is 55, and we love them because they are so easy to control that we can spend our ride seeing the country instead of just controlling the "beast", like Ducati riders do. The big advantage the pcx has over most bigger bikes is that it turns easily, so you don't have to wrestle it into an alley if you want to cut through to your local coffee shop. My Burgman 400 was a charm to ride, but it was heavy which meant that it took a lot of effort for me to turn into an alley while following my wife's pcx. So, i traded it for a pcx of my own.
Very true, but I doubt anyone is here in the Performance section to run their PCX as intended :D .

With enough mods you could get it up to decent speeds(at least, I figure 70+ mph is pretty decent) while keeping a lightweight bike that has automatic transmission and great fuel economy.

Thus far I enjoy hopping on the highway on any lane I want and filling up once every 2 weeks for about 5 bucks a fill-up. It keeps up quite well with other traffic due to low freeway speeds here on the islands.

I would agree with the sentiment that if the PCX had come with a 200cc engine, it would be a perfect scooter. At least unless you're 6 ft or taller.
ert13

Post by ert13 »

The parcel ordered from webike arrived today. Now I need to do a bit of reading up on implementing the mods.
V65Mag
Color: red

Post by V65Mag »

New to forum, just picked up a 2013 PCX 150 today and took out on a maiden voyage of about 12 miles. Read the earlier posts, about extracting more speed, and tend to agree with one fellow, the motor is a 150, and getting another 10 mph may require a bigger motor. I will probably do something dumb and put a Yoshimura pipe on this PCX, get a little more responsiveness, but probably will not go faster top end.
It is what it is, a 150. Years ago between the first V65 and a KLR, I had a 1986 CH 150, and it ran strong, better than this PCX, but the PCX is better handling, and better to ride.

I have a Silverwing and a V65 Magna, now, sold the ST1100 and BMW R1100RT. My objective was a little scoot that could go 50-55 on 2 or 4 lane roads, something light enough to take on vacation, and something with enough performance to keep speed on the hills of Western Pa..

On the brief ride today, the PCX is pretty much exactly what I wanted and expected. Heck of a good little scoot and as one fellow said, after riding bigger bikes, some high horsepower bikes, this thing should not be this fun, but it is !