Yamaha tops PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Yamaha tops PCX

Post by fish »

I tell you, after sitting on, a reading about, both the 2015 PCX and the 2015 Yamaha S-Max...I gotta go with the new Yamaha.
An extra $200 gets you a whole lot more scooter in the Yamaha - in every sense of the word. (they did well not to park them on the sales floor next to one another - without a hefty discount, the Honda would be gathering dust)
The S-Max has a much longer wheelbase, bigger seating area, more weight for stability, nearly as good MPG's, able to actually reach 70MPH on level ground & straight out of the box and without a tail wind &/or a 130lb rider..
The Yamaha is just more scooter for the money. (and it certainly can't be harder than the Honda to service!)
It looks quite a bit larger on the floor - makes the PCX look a bit toyish, and sure seems to have a nice build quality upon my pretty close inspection (snowing here, so climbing on, over & under scooters at the dealer was an afternoon venture)
Honda builds good stuff , but Yamaha isn't exactly known for turning out junk either. This new S-Max looks like a nice vehicle (though, I'd still buy a Honda CB300F for the extra $250 @ $3999)
I know you guys love the look of your PCX's....but this Yamaha is pretty impressive to look at in the flesh, as well.
Shoot, that screen looks like it's worth the $200 difference in price alone.
Fish
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Re: Yamaha tops PCX

Post by dkazzed »

You forgot about the rear disc brakes, larger front brakes, and slightly larger 32L underseat storage in the SMax.

I don't see any SMax on fuelly yet so it's hard to tell what the real world fuel consumption numbers are like. The SMax has similar factory valve clearance inspection/adjustment intervals to the PCX and no easy way to get to it.

Some people prefer the maxi-scooter look of the PCX, as well as the extra conveniences like glove box with 12V charger and fuel consumption meter. Although I found the SMax to be more spacious like you've observed, the PCX has a better seating position and ergonomics. Plus the lighter weight and nimbler city handling will be a plus for some.

On the other hand, some people want a true step through design with a super handy grocery hook and better highway handling with the extra weight and wider tires. One could put wider tires on the PCX.

Tough call. I'll definitely give both a test ride as soon as I get my riding endorsement, as well as used bigger scooters.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

+1 Besides generally being on top in reliability (Yamaha vs Honda) the Yamaha S-Max is hands down the winner IMO. They seem to have no trouble hitting 75 mph on the interstate and it is a few lbs heavier with wider tires and a longer wheelbase. I have owned four Yamaha's and would have hopped on this in a second if it had been available as my camping scooter. I love the instrument panel. Oh well - something better always comes along.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Do you really think Yamaha is more reliable? I kinda wondered if Yamaha was the Toyota of motorcycles. They have collaborated together before, Yamaha built the 180HP 1.8L 2ZZ-GE motor for the Toyota Celica GTS/Corolla XRS/Matrix, as well as Pontiac Vibe GT and Lotus Elise and Exige.

My 04 BWS 50 is taking a beating by me. I bought it at 10 years old with 13,000km on it and in just under 5 months I've put 5,500km on it. I kinda want to keep on running it to see when it'll die.

But between Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki, I don't think you can go wrong. The difference seems negligible. Kawasaki seems to be the Subarus of the motorcycle world with all the blown head gaskets.

I want the 12V plug the PCX has, but really I could add one to any scooter. Probably better in the underseat storage compartment than a non-lockable glove box anyway. But I haven't priced out an SMax at a local dealer yet.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

My wife has a subscription to Consumer Reports and you need to study their conclusions sometimes but the results of their motorcycle owner surveys (CR does have a process to discard errant surveys) have Yamaha as the best, Honda in the middle, and Harley and BMW as the worst for frequency of repairs on new bikes in a 4 year time frame. Yamaha had the lowest frequency of significant repairs with about 10% and Honda was about 15%. BMW was over 33% and Harley was bad too. Suzuki is real good as well but the survey sample they had returned was too small to be statistically accurate so they didn't include it. The Harley folks can't come up with enough excuses to try to discount the folks that track problems.
Last edited by tbln930 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Looking at that picture, the rider seems a bit cramped. Look at his leg position. At least i could stretch my legs on the pcx, since it has 2 foot positions. My experience with Yamaha and from what i have heard from friends who have had Yamaha motorcycles, they make great, dependable bikes. If the dealer had provided us with a wider selection of 150 -200cc scooters, we might not have purchased the pcx....or we might have. It came down to the PCX 150 or nothing. Only after we had purchased both of our pcx scooters was the Burgman 200 introduced. Scooters are somewhat scarce around here, at least the in between ones are. There are plenty of Burgmans (200, 400, 650), and Ruckus types 50cc and under. Finding a Yamaha scooter is difficult, if not impossible, without travelling quite a distance.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Thanks tbln930.

When I was hobbling around with a gout attack at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show, I looked at the SMax, PCX, and Burgman 200. The SMax's fairing footrest was painful to use being too upright. The PCX and Burgman was relaxed and not painful.

The Majesty 400 was decent.

Yamaha and Suzuki is dominant around here with the larger scooters. I hardly see any Honda Silverwings, Reflex, or Forzas around.

Smaller scooters, BWS and Ruckus equally dominate.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I'm with Mel, the riding position looks very uncomfortable. Not my idea of a good time.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by DAB »

I have 3 Yamahas and the build quality is better than any Honda I have had. The PCX is a lot of scooter for the money and is very good value.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

dkazzed wrote:You forgot about the rear disc brakes, larger front brakes, and slightly larger 32L underseat storage in the SMax.

I don't see any SMax on fuelly yet so it's hard to tell what the real world fuel consumption numbers are like. The SMax has similar factory valve clearance inspection/adjustment intervals to the PCX and no easy way to get to it.

Some people prefer the maxi-scooter look of the PCX, as well as the extra conveniences like glove box with 12V charger and fuel consumption meter. Although I found the SMax to be more spacious like you've observed, the PCX has a better seating position and ergonomics. Plus the lighter weight and nimbler city handling will be a plus for some.

On the other hand, some people want a true step through design with a super handy grocery hook and better highway handling with the extra weight and wider tires. One could put wider tires on the PCX.

Tough call. I'll definitely give both a test ride as soon as I get my riding endorsement, as well as used bigger scooters.
I figured I'd better stop lauding the Yamaha....PCX owners are not necessarily know for their forbearance.
Fish
Last edited by fish on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I should have added on the S-Max pending a successful test fit and ride. :P I liked the Downtown 300i Kymco except for the riding position for me but i think it is fixable. Not sure on this one.

That might be Jason Segal (6' 4") on there in the picture. :lol:

A friend has a Majesty 400 and he had some air filter issue he had to address that scared me away. It is a known problem.
Steph wrote:I'm with Mel, the riding position looks very uncomfortable. Not my idea of a good time.

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

It does sound a little cramped in this review (there is a pretty big price differential between the two)

Scooter battle: 2015 Yamaha SMAX vs. 2014 Suzuki Burgman 200

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/20 ... urgman-200

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

fish wrote:I figured I'd better stop lauding the Yamaha....PCX owners are not necessarily know for their forbearance.
Fish
I'm not brand loyal and could go either way. I've only owned Yamahas before, a 99 BWs'R back in the days and 04 BWS now, but Suzuki, Honda, Kymco, SYM, Piaggio, maybe some others are all in consideration. I just won't consider Chinese (reverse) engineered scooters.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Spec-wise it certainly tops out the PCX in pretty much every way. 75mph reliable speed without screwing with the engine/trans? No need to buy an aftermarket wind screen to move the wind above your chest? 155cc displacement engine making that much of a gap in performance? Yes please.

Though as others have mentioned, that seating position looks like it would get to be a literal pain in the butt.

Still, we already bought our scooter. If I were to upgrade later in the future, it would be a larger bike entirely, either a 250cc cruiser or perhaps the Forza(Burgman might be more likely).
FromMototoScooter
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by FromMototoScooter »

I bought a PCX, I can't possibly in good faith even consider thinking that I made a mistake LOL so- BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Seriously though, cool looking scooter and if it does 75 then I'll be just God-Da&ned , ugh, does it come in white? Haha

Shush, my PCX just gave me a look, I gotta go....
"No, no, no, Yamaha who? Don't be like that- You know you're the only scooter for me!"
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

tbln930 wrote:It does sound a little cramped in this review
I sat on the Yamaha...at 6'3" I did not feel any more cramped than I have on most scooters.... and it was a whole lot better than on some much bigger engined scooters!
As for the seat - I'm in with a gang of Kymco LIKE200i owners - and we all share a hatred for the seat ("dislike" is much too mild, it is a full blown hatred for the seat, "the guy that designed this seat should be set on fire!") - after I spent $100 to buy another stock seat and rebuild it ...I have never looked back. It is now a great ride!
Same,same on the BV350 - do not let the seat bump stop you from owning a great scooter. Remove it!
Fish
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I wish you had talked to us first on that buy. o_O :lol:

The PCX is a very good proven entity with several years of fixes under it's belt and very good third party support besides being popular. That would take a while on any new model if ever.

My PCX is perfect for how I use it.

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

70mph+ stock would be really nice. I only need it to go 55mph for our slow local freeways so having 15mph+ of reserve is a lot nicer than having just 7mph of reserve.

The exposed handle bar in the PCX offers more flexibility. Plus I have a strict $4200 cash budget plus my trade in limit for a scooter. I absolutely do not want to finance. So the SMax is $100 more in Canada than the PCX ($3999 vs $3899) so maybe not a problem but it all comes down to how much I like each one and then dealer fees.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

You can get a new 2014 Forza right now for a song and I saw a new 2014 Burgman 200 marked very low as well.

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

One of our members typhon2222 bought one and wasn't impressed.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?p=52921#p52921
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong