PCX 2013 Fuel Filter Change

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

PCX 2013 Fuel Filter Change

Post by MikeP »

Has anyone changed their fuel filter? I checked the manual and it tells how to do it. It is attached to the fuel pump and the hole assembly is bolted into the fuel tank, thus the bike has to be pulled apart to do it. Now the funny part, I just came from the Honda dealer. The service manager told me not to worry about it until the bike quits. The filter part is listed as discontinued and can only be acquired by ordering the whole assembly, fuel pump and filter. Only $535.00 so no big deal. :geek: With this kind of advice, I know why I don't trust them to touch my bike! This guy did not get the idea of preventative maintenance. o_O So summary I just want to buy a few (now that they are discontinued) fuel filters and what is anybody's experience in this job. Thank you.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX 2013 Fuel Filter Change

Post by gn2 »

It is designed and intended to last the life of the pump, but if you really feel the need to fiddle about with it the part number is 16707-KWN-711
Cost is roughly $70 http://www.amazon.com/Honda-HONDA-16707 ... B00NO1CW9Y

Is preventative maintenance the thing where you take a perfectly serviceable working item off and replace it with a brand new one?
Parts shops must love you :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Thanks gn2. I am used to carburetor engines with the small canister fuel filter. Also used to changing out a 3.00 part every 10k or so. Fuel injection and in tank pumps are new to me. I just don't want to be walking home some day. :D
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Mike P , keep thinkin the way you are , PM is the best Measure. Folks comment in snide ways not knowing a riders environment or fuel station qualities or lack there of . Again, keep thinkin.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I looked in the service manual and although I found the procedure, I can't see any recommended interval for the fuel filter replacement. I have to agree with gn2 until reeducated otherwise. Seems like the cost of replacing the fuel filter far outweighs any benefit. Here is why, according to my pea brain logic:

An automotive fuel filter lasts tens of thousands of miles, easily. This while filtering three or four times the amount of fuel per mile that your PCX is consuming, and therefore that the filter is filtering. If the fuel filter on my car can last a mere 30k miles (at a minimum), that is roughly 1,000 gallons of gasoline filtered. Assuming the filter on the PCX is rated to filter 1,000 gallons of gasoline, that means 90,000 miles as an approximate replacement interval. Even if you halved that, and assumed the PCX fuel filter could only filter 500 gallons of fuel, you're at roughly 45k miles on the odometer. I would bet good money that the factory PCX filter could easily filter through at least 500 gallons of gas at an absolute minimum.

Not surprising, therefore, that Honda doesn't worry about replacement too much. If a single PCX on the planet Earth goes 90k miles in it's life, I'd be shocked. Dropping $70 on a replacement filter would seem to me to be a very poor investment.
'88 BMW R100RT
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

kcpcx wrote:I looked in the service manual and although I found the procedure, I can't see any recommended interval for the fuel filter replacement. I have to agree with gn2 until reeducated otherwise. Seems like the cost of replacing the fuel filter far outweighs any benefit. Here is why, according to my pea brain logic:

An automotive fuel filter lasts tens of thousands of miles, easily. This while filtering three or four times the amount of fuel per mile that your PCX is consuming, and therefore that the filter is filtering. If the fuel filter on my car can last a mere 30k miles (at a minimum), that is roughly 1,000 gallons of gasoline filtered. Assuming the filter on the PCX is rated to filter 1,000 gallons of gasoline, that means 90,000 miles as an approximate replacement interval. Even if you halved that, and assumed the PCX fuel filter could only filter 500 gallons of fuel, you're at roughly 45k miles on the odometer. I would bet good money that the factory PCX filter could easily filter through at least 500 gallons of gas at an absolute minimum.

Not surprising, therefore, that Honda doesn't worry about replacement too much. If a single PCX on the planet Earth goes 90k miles in it's life, I'd be shocked. Dropping $70 on a replacement filter would seem to me to be a very poor investment.
+1
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am seeing the logic behind it and having also checked the manual realize if it were a maintenance thing Honda would have addressed it somewhere. Looking at the schematics, it seems that the filter would be somewhat of a self cleaning unit given that it is suspended above the bottom of the tank and the swishing of the fuel would continuously rinse it.

I worry to much. Just want to be the first person to go 90k miles on a PCX. :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Kudo's for giving the part some thought MikeP and for chatting about it with us. Now We All Know! See that! :P Learned sumptin again!
Go on now n relax. Think on something else....like, planning Your next big ride 8) or, you can always pray the snow stops "Here, There and Everywhere." Good luck with That one! :lol: Cheers!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You