Keeping pcx stabilized/balanced at high speeds

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Keeping pcx stabilized/balanced at high speeds

Post by dog64bull »

What can I use/do to keep my pcx stabilized/balanced at higher speeds?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Keeping pcx stabilized/balanced at high speeds

Post by you you »

dog64bull wrote:What can I use/do to keep my pcx stabilized/balanced at higher speeds?
Forget about the stabilisation. How are you getting your PCX to go at high speeds. You could be a star here.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

That is exactly why I mainly keep my PCX below 55 mph and use the Forza for higher speeds. Just the weight and wheelbase differences make a huge difference in stability above 55 mph.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
FromMototoScooter
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by FromMototoScooter »

This comes with riding experience. Winds that blow you left you counter with leaning right, and vice versa. Being buffeted by wind is normal on any motorcycle or scooter, you'll get the hang of it, and won't even notice it after awhile.

Unless you see a tornado ahead or thunderstorms, or know you're in an extreme weather condition, then slow down and exit roadway lol - otherwise relax, stop thinking about it and let your body and the bike do it's thing. Your bike (scooter) was designed to do its top speed. It was designed to be on the road in wind.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

dog64bull wrote:What can I use/do to keep my pcx stabilized/balanced at higher speeds?
Double-up on them cheeseburgers and maybe lug around 25 lbs of chains on your PCX :D ?

As mentioned above, part of it is riding experience.

My first trip on the highway felt wobbly and "unstable", but nowadays a windy day is a mild annoyance at best.

A mid or tall windscreen might also help if you have a broad chest or you wear bulky gear.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Ive added training wheels, its awesomely stable now even at crawling speeds...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Stay loose on the handle bars. Lean forward so the wind is not making your arms yank on the bars. Let the steering geometry self correct for wind gusts.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

When we get the wobbles on the highway on small scooters I ask my wife to tell the people behind her to lean forward a bit.
If that doesn't work....
we just get off to a secondary road and slow down.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

fish wrote:When we get the wobbles on the highway on small scooters .
Who gets wobbles? I ride my PCX 65 mph every day and have never felt a wobble. And it self corrects perfectly in cross winds.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

I know some Kymco's are known for wobbles like the Agility. It all over their forum.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

tbln930 wrote:I know some Kymco's are known for wobbles like the Agility. It all over their forum.
Isn't that largely because of the short wheelbase? Might make it feel twitchy if someone so much as sneezes on the handlebars.

Super windy today, but the only thing I noticed was the wind dragging at my helmet.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

How is the PCX in a good sidewind? I'm about 5ft5 and live on the moors, a good 10mile of it's riding per ride will be high up on the Moors.
aka DrewJW
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I do a fair bit of highway riding and have found being a little loose on the grips, anticipating the draft as on coming semi's pass me and generally relaxing. The first time I rode highway it did not please me, however with practice, I now love it. It's a great cruiser. For me the key is to relax and almost liken it to wind surfing on two wheels as the big rigs blow buy. Overall the bike is very well balanced and stable. Just trust it.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

MikeP wrote:For me the key is to relax and almost liken it to wind surfing on two wheels as the big rigs blow buy. Overall the bike is very well balanced and stable. Just trust it.
Exactly. The PCX is very well designed and is very enjoyable to ride in the wind. We had a good discussion about the physics of how a bike self corrects to hold it's line in side winds over on CBR250.net.
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-perf ... winds.html
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks will give it a read, I've taken my Honda Vision 110cc on some dual carriageways and can handle it there, was worried the PCX may be more of a handful.
aka DrewJW
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

The vision is about 20+ KG's lighter than than PCX 125 so surprised it handles well in strong winds. A month ago, in the early hours when we had 30-40 mph winds, I found it a bit daunting going to work as the pcx and me were almost blown sideways - I weigh nearly 90kg's. I don't mind heavy rain, but with winds like that and doing a commute on open roads in london, I found it unpleasant.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

iceman wrote:The vision is about 20+ KG's lighter than than PCX 125 so surprised it handles well in strong winds. A month ago, in the early hours when we had 30-40 mph winds, I found it a bit daunting going to work as the pcx and me were almost blown sideways - I weigh nearly 90kg's. I don't mind heavy rain, but with winds like that and doing a commute on open roads in london, I found it unpleasant.
I'm 5ft 5 and about 13stone, it does okay with me, it's my first ever bike, I reckon having known nothing else it all seemed normal?
aka DrewJW
forza300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by forza300 »

MikeP wrote:I do a fair bit of highway riding and have found being a little loose on the grips, anticipating the draft as on coming semi's pass me and generally relaxing. The first time I rode highway it did not please me, however with practice, I now love it. It's a great cruiser. For me the key is to relax and almost liken it to wind surfing on two wheels as the big rigs blow buy. Overall the bike is very well balanced and stable. Just trust it.
Mike beat me to it. Sounds like someone is gripping the bars too tight. The bike will ride itself practically with no input from you. Geometry issues would be VERY rare. Same goes with the body, you don't grip the tank so just sit on the seat and have legs hanging loose like they are not even connected.

Also, by higher speeds you mean 100+kph? I'd be confident on a pcx at 200+.
------------------------
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

When I 1st got my pcx I found it quite scary in strong side winds, I put this down to tensing up too much and since changing from stock tyre to city grips its seems to give more hold when the road is wet in severe side winds so feel confident now had no scary moments for a year or so.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Not had any ice/snow in London so far (maybe a little bit of snow that went as soon as it landed) so better than some years back, but after a year of riding on stock tires in heavy rain and on dirty gravelly roads, not had any issues. I was worried at first due to comments about the IRC's, but so far they seem fine. Only thing that had me worried was strong winds, and it was quite tricky not being moved sideways and that is at 30! One person at work didn't use the bike that day as they found riding a 125 motorbike in 40mph winds in heavy traffic a bit too much for them.