Please suggest a good GPS for us, less than $200.00...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

bountybuddy
Regular User
Regular User

Please suggest a good GPS for us, less than $200.00...

Post by bountybuddy »

I would like a GPS that can talk to me giving me the name of the street coming up where I turn and how much farther it is to reach it. Something simple to use with a 6" or 7" screen that cost around $200.00 if that is possible. In the past I have used GPS's in boats but never cars. I like Garmin GPS's very much but would buy another good brand. Thank you so much for your help. Ride safe my friends.
NMpdx13
Year: 2015
Color: black

Re: Please suggest a good GPS for us, less than $200.00...

Post by NMpdx13 »

I really do like the Garmin nüvi line a lot...

All the ones on (this page) are all under $200.00.

I don't know how many people already know this, but just a tip, that the "LM" after the model name means you get Lifetime Map Updates. "LMT" means you get Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Avoidance. That's why those ones are a little bit more expensive than the base model number.

I actually have a nüvi 50LM that I bought used on eBay for $58 and it still works great!
Lancer525
Color: White

Post by Lancer525 »

I can only recommend what I have from a couple of years ago. I have a 4.5" TomTom that I bought from eBay for $100. A few updates via USB from the computer, and I'm happy. Not what you really asked for, but for what I use mine for (which is pretty much what you listed, except for the screen size) it does the job. eBay is full of last year's models.
Insert interesting signature here.
FromMototoScooter

Post by FromMototoScooter »

Buy an iPhone 6 Plus dude, I know it's more than 200 but you can update your phone too. It does so much more than a GPS and there are several map apps to chose from. Its a computer that fits in your pocket!...or, mount it to the handlebars :D
bountybuddy
Regular User
Regular User

Post by bountybuddy »

Thank all of you for your reply's. I just traded three motorcycles for a brand new in the box 2013 white Downtown 300i. I pick it up as soon as the snow is gone here in Michigan or I will pay them to deliver it to me. It's only about a 30 to 45 minute drive south od where I live. I needs a mounting plate and at least 52L hard box for the back and at least 26L soft saddle bags for her with a bar on each side to protect her from the saddle bags.

The IPhone is a must. Can I buy an IPhone at Walmart? In the past I did business with ATT and Version and will never do business with them again. I hope I can get an IPhone and use TracFone time cards to buy time for it. Please tell me if I can do this. I don't want to sign a contract for the IPhone. The GPS is a must. I might buy one of the Garmin GPS's that tell you when your turn is coming up by the street name.

I didn't mean to rattle on so. I'm so excited about the scooter. Ride safe my friends.
FromMototoScooter

Post by FromMototoScooter »

I'm not sure that you can buy an iPhone at Walmart...I'm going to go with "no" on that one, but don't hold me to that. I know I've seen iPads there...

Haven't ever heard of using an iPhone in a trac-phone type way either.

Hmmm, you're kind of limiting the choices here. I believe T-Mobile will place you on their network without a contract, but Verizon has the better coverage, and if you're wanting to use the phone for the map apps I would suggest going with the best coverage in your area.

BTW: map apps like Apple Maps and Google Maps will give you turn by turn directions.

I've used the iPhone on several cross country trips as means for navigation using Verizon's network, supplemented with a small road atlas as back-up for when you're in the mountains or middle of no-where.

However, do what works best for you. Good luck
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

There are free Android apps that work well for navigation using only GPS and no 'pay' data - such as NavFree or NavFree USA - maps (worldwide), places of interest, other features, etc are regularly updated. No need to go the Iphone route unless you want an IPhone.
jon_l
Year: 2013
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

Get a Garmin nuvi 2598, or similar auto GPS. Refurbished from GPSCity are a great deal:

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-nuvi-2598 ... auled.html

Cheap, work great, bluetooth into your helmet, not worth enough to worry much about. I have used similar on bikes for the last 6 or 7 years. If it rains hard, pull a ziplock over it, or put it in your pocket, glove-box, etc.
black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Giant Piece of String?
bountybuddy
Regular User
Regular User

Post by bountybuddy »

My wife and I went to Walmart yesterday and I ask for a Garmin Nuvi 2797 LMT GPS. The guy sold me a Nuvi 2797 LM and I didn't catch the mistake until I got home. Now I have to go through the hassle of taking it back.

I called Garmin and learned once it has a full charge you can power it up and program it out of the car. You have to charge it on your computer. This means I have to carry my 15" laptop in the car when I use it.

Can any of you suggest a smaller computer that will charge the Garmin Nuvi 2797 LMT in my car?

Thanks very much for your help. Ride safe my friends.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

you you wrote:Giant Piece of String?
Or a trail of crumbs?
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

Or you could buy a 2nd hand Sony xperia z and use free software and a cheap holder from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Bike-Bicyc ... 4ac3960f4d
This way if it pisses it down your setup is waterproof and should come to less than 150 dollars
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs