Need an opinion on the weird noises coming from my pcx 125.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

KrisoUK

Need an opinion on the weird noises coming from my pcx 125.

Post by KrisoUK »

Hey guys,

first, let me give some info about the bike.

Honda pcx 2012 (not esp model) 13000 miles, nothing being replaced in the bike since new apart from the normal consumables( oil, spark plug, drive oil, filter, rear tyre )

Recently ( last 2k miles ) weird noises come from the rear of the bike. When I take off, between 5-10 miles, there is a lot of strong vibration, like some metal is hitting another metal noise and another noise from something spinning and touching something else. From 10 miles up, the bike sounds fine, but when I ride next to a wall or parked vehicles, I can hear some noise coming from the rear again.

The other thing is, when I'm about to come to a stop, there are 2 or 3 noisy clungs, like 2-3 bangs ( between 10-5 miles ) and twice already when I'm about to come to a stop, the bikes engine switches off just before I come to a complete stop.

The other unusual thing is, when I keep steady 40 miles, I couldn't here the engine noise before, now the engine is a bit louder, but I can also here something like shaking a bucket with small metal parts.

I'm wondering, are the above given noises something I should be worried about, or is it something which comes with age and use.

Regards, Chris.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Need an opinion on the weird noises coming from my pcx 1

Post by Alibally »

I think you should get it looked at pronto. There could be a problem with the clutch bearing or transmission. There has been other members with similar problems. I think is was mel46.

I wouldn't use it till is checked out. If the back wheel locks whilst riding it could spit you off.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Definitely get it checked. If the first place doesn't find anything, get a second opinion. We had the driven clutch bearings go bad, and we were not the only ones. There is an inner and an outer bearing, and both went out. The entire assembly is cheaper than the bearings alone becaue the bearings are pressed in. We had it checked at the place we purchased the bike from but they were idiots and said they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. That is when we decided to find a different shop. They immediately said that there was a problem. Don't be afraid to ask for another opinion from a different shop.you wouldn't want it to seize while you were riding. Not good.
Yours is a 2012. Ours is a 2013 that was manufactured in mid 2012. I think there was a bad batch of those bearings that didn't have enough grease in them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
KrisoUK

Post by KrisoUK »

Thank you for the replies guys.

I've been told to change the rollers and the belt first, then if the noise still occurs, it should be properly checked.

Any suggestions where I could order that illusive clutch part from in the UK?

Regards.

Btw, Mel, my Pcx is a 125, not a 150, as I can see in your signature.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As i understand it, the part that went bad fits both the 125 and the 150. The assembly that others have purchased to fix the problem is 23205-KWN-640. Ask your dealer about it and if it fits yours. It fits many different bikes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers