That seat 'opener damper'

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

That seat 'opener damper'

Post by fish »

OK, I was never impressed with the little seat hold-opener from new. It was pretty weak and would just barely hold the seat up when scoot on the center stand, and not at all when on the side stand. Now, after the dealer installed the fuel pump, it came back to me too weak to hold up the seat in any position. I'm no engineer or mathematician - but the location of that little piston rod seems poorly thought out - and seems to me it would need to be one strong little Mother to hold that seat from the position burried down there!

Since it was weak from new, and is failing now - rather than make a warranty issue out of it - and necessitating another rear panel and seat removal at the dealer (they're 0 for 2 in doing this without breaking clips):

My question: What other way could I fashion a better seat hold-open device? They make those rear hatch piston-rods in all kinds of sizes....thinking of fitting one to one side of the seat and bucket.
Or, should I make a warranty issue out of this?
Feedback, please.
Fish
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Re: That seat 'opener damper'

Post by Monty1952 »

My Honda store has already filed a warranty climate on my failing sear damper. It wasn't working well before the fuel pump visit and they said they would do it in the spring.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

If you like to redesign and manufacture things I believe the very best solution would be to make it so the seat lifts up from the side, not the back. That would give you easy access to the entire under seat area.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

stryder123 wrote:If you like to redesign and manufacture things I believe the very best solution would be to make it so the seat lifts up from the side, not the back. That would give you easy access to the entire under seat area.
That's beyond my pay grade. Have seen 'em just like ours with a side piston to hold it open - rather than a goofy one down at the bottom!
Don't have to reinvent the wheel just mount a piston on the side. Seat isn't killer heavy....plus that miserable stock item will be trying to help.
I'm not ready to use a sawed off broom stick, just yet.
Had a Honda tech making a house call (!) today - he said those opener dampners - new or old- are often not working. Same/same in his dealership.
Fish
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

think you are correct Fish..a side mounted piston seems the simplest answer and I agree there is little point in making it a warranty matter as the best we would get is another "new" useless little piston rod so solving nothing...It really is a poor design by Honda but I assume for cost saving purposes. The side opening on my previous Honda SWing 125 cc scooter ( A Euro scoot) worked a treat.
Will be interested in seeing how you proceed as I may "copy" what you do. Would also help when accessing the forward section by keeping the seat fixed open.
robisc

Post by robisc »

In Italy the most owners of a Forza 300 have the same issue: the seat can't stay open. Honda Italia replaces in warranty the piston, but using one of same type. We think this can't be resolutive and we inquired for a more strong piston or a different solution.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Hold it open with left hand, put stuff in/out with right hand.
So simple a baboon could figure it out :roll:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:Hold it open with left hand, put stuff in/out with right hand.
So simple a baboon could figure it out :roll:
Except when you're loading groceries in there and you look like a baboon getting hit in the head by the seat.
Even cheap Chinese scoots don't attack your head. The seat stays up when you let go of it....
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

So don't put your head under the seat, put the groceries in there instead.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Would it be possible to rig up a "helper spring" to help keep the seat open? Like a coil spring around the damper or by it? Haven't tried it or looked into doing this...yet...as weather has been to cold to venture out into the garage!
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

I have been keeping a short bungee cord under my seat and hook it from my bars to the seat to hold it open. Not elegant but it works.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:So don't put your head under the seat, put the groceries in there instead.

The head or the seat?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Maybe he could try the other end of the alimentary canal...?
robisc

Post by robisc »

In Italy we have news about a replacement of original seat piston with a new one. My Honda mechanic says the new piston will be available in 20/30 days.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Could use a stick!
aka DrewJW
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a pcx, not a Forza, but when i need to hold the seat open (the pcx does not come with a piston to hold it up), i too have a small bungee cord that i attach to the seat and handlebar. It works well and is cheap.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yes I was looking for a new piston unit which are sold on Ebay but nothing of the right size/length. It is good if Honda is releasing one to help it work better. I would not call this much of an issue. The right piston can do the lifting too just so it doesnt fly up too fast like the replacement pistons on my large stainless tool box do. o_O
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Found a couple of firms which specialize in these lifts. All sizes and strengths. With news that Honda is going to address this issue with a new warranty part - saves me the trouble of fooling with it. Thanks for the info!
The Honda service guys will appreciate the new part, as well.
My home visiting tech complained about these lifts when he was fitting my new rear panel.
Fish
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

http://www.stabilus.com & http://www.suspaparts.com. I think BRed said the the first brand is installed on our scooter. It is also installed on Panatta machines in my gym. Nautilus uses the other brand. Anyway, when the time for replacement of the fuel pump comes, everyone should replace the LIFT-O-MAT Gas Spring with a stronger one (bigger diameter, more pressurized gas in it). It's like 10-20 euro/buck. Big deal!
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

I can't see the strut in any photos of the Forza, where is it? As Dio suggested I bet a better unit would solve the problem. Of coarse if you want to go cheap and simple then get a wooden dowel, about an inch in diameter and cut it to length. I had a truck on a car I had to do that to after I added a spoiler.