Yuminashi PCX 150 Speed Combo, anyone try it?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Yuminashi PCX 150 Speed Combo, anyone try it?

Post by Valiant »

http://www.yuminashi.eu/pcx150-sh150-speed-combo/

Anyone try this set out yet? Any idea how it might work?

At the moment, all the Yuminashi Big Bore Kits for the PCX seems to have evaporated from every source, so this seems like the only alternative if I want a boost to the engine power. Reggie thus far isn't responding to e-mails, not sure if he's just off until after New Years, but I wanted to check out other options.

I doubt the Yuminashi variator does anything other than raise the top end more, and I might give a pass on the final gear set as well given that there was a warning that the speedo wouldn't function correctly and it doesn't seem like the set includes the sensor. Though both seem like they would be appealing if you want to run the same speeds at lower rpms and thus help with fuel economy.

I wanted to ask if this set seems like it might boost power even in a minor way. My shop guy identified the lower center piece as a fuel intake piece, which might explain why it includes a camshaft without an aftermarket fuel controller. I've heard that the stock ECU can adapt to minor changes to the air/exhaust vis a vis a mod to the airbox or exhaust pipe, but likely not for the camshaft. So I'm wondering if modifications to the fuel intake would make the engine run richer. I'm also not sure if, when receiving more fuel intake, if the stock ECU would also attempt to adjust the mixture DOWN to an AFR of 14.7:1 if a modification pushes more fuel into the mix.

I would probably go big bore if it doesn't seem like I have to wait 6+ months for it, but this has appeal in being available now(for how long I don't know).
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Yuminashi PCX 150 Speed Combo, anyone try it?

Post by sendler2112 »

I wouldn't go half way. If you are going to have to pay someone to take the bike apart, I would go with the biggest bore kit and cam that can still use the stock head. And, you have enough longer gearing from the NCY vario already so you don't need to mess with the gears. If you really want to make sure the new engine is running right you should plan on installing a fuel controller at the same time and paying for a good dyno session with a wide band sniffer to have it tuned. Or just try to balance the extra air with a bigger injector. Is there a motorcycle dyno anywhere in HI?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Maybe? There are 3 major moto dealers nearby, so I'd imagine one of them should have it if they tune motorcycles at all.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Is a dyno necessary at all if I go with the Bazzaz?
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3019
Pcxdemon wrote:
Aznvthugforlife wrote:I'm all new to pcx, trying to go big bore with fuel management piggyback. I'm just wondering if power commander v or bazzaz can be install on the 2013 pcx stock wiring and connectors? I'd searched google and this entire forum but i can't find an answer.i can dyno map it from scratch if there's no map. Thanks everyone
I think bazzaz has one,it's a self learning mapping, no need to dyno it. Quite cool but pricey..
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote:Is a dyno necessary at all if I go with the Bazzaz?
You would need the Bazzaz wide band logger to measure the exhaust. With this you do it all yourself and don't need a dyno. Just play with a computer screen. I doubt any dealer has a dyno. Maybe Harley. It would be more common at a speed shop if there is one. But again, with the Bazzaz mapper you do it all yourself on the road. You could save a couple bucks using the Kitaco controller with it or just go all in with both Bazzaz units.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

You just use your laptop between runs to add or take away fuel trim until you get every combination of throttle versus rpm set to 13.5.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If i got a Yuminashi big bore kit for my 150 would i need anything else if i just want to increase top end? For instance, is the Kitaco controller a good idea to go with it? I dont want to have to tune the ecu. I may just stop at upgrading the variatorr and drive face, but i would like to know my options, and if there are still problems with the bigg bore kit for the 150.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

It's possible a bigger injector might balance the extra air from the 175cc kit enough so that the O2 sensor could keep the mixture on the map.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Might be more likely if all the parts are made to work in conjunction with each other. If using a full Yuminashi set(BBK, injector, intake manifold, camshaft, high lift rockers), it may be likely that everything would be brought within range of what the stock ECU can handle, at least that's what I gathered from my forum digging.

On the other hand, I personally would purchase the Bazzaz combo anyway to make sure the AFR runs richer than stock settings. I also believe I'd go with what Yuminashi recommends at 12.6 under high load(not sure if the ECU adapts AFR under load such as uphill) or in WOT. When going between cities, I find that I have to stay in WOT to keep up a good speed, as opposed to only using WOT for a burst of speed(which I do quite often when changing lanes or merging). My short hop to the college campus however leaves me comfortably using only half throttle.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:I wouldn't go half way. If you are going to have to pay someone to take the bike apart, I would go with the biggest bore kit and cam that can still use the stock head. And, you have enough longer gearing from the NCY vario already so you don't need to mess with the gears. If you really want to make sure the new engine is running right you should plan on installing a fuel controller at the same time and paying for a good dyno session with a wide band sniffer to have it tuned. Or just try to balance the extra air with a bigger injector. Is there a motorcycle dyno anywhere in HI?
Well, I personally don't want to go half way anyway, but rather all the way 8) . Ideally I'd like that 196cc BBK along with the Bazzaz combo, maybe replace that stock intake tube with a larger diameter tube and pop a couple of holes in the airbox for good measure.

Unfortunately, the Yuminashi BBK seems to be running dry just about every place I look, I'm not sure when the timetable is for more kits, and Reggie thus far isn't responding to e-mails. So I'd like to see what's in the kit, and perhaps see if I can get what would already be needed in place and just fill the holes in later.

My scooter shop says that particular kit would be very labor intensive, requiring the entire engine be pulled in order to fit in the aftermarket head and crankshaft. Whereas the camshaft and valve mods should be doable by simply pulling the seat off and doing the install with the engine still in the scoot.

I figure if I have to wait until 2016 in order to get my hands on a Yuminashi BBK, I might as well try other mods in separate stages to see if it'll bump up power to where I want it in the meantime(which, to be frank, isn't much, perhaps a 5 mph bump in speed against a headwind/uphill).

Thus far I figure I could go for:
-OEM Honda 2013 Counter Gear(53T)
-Yuminashi Camshaft + Double Valve Spring & Retainer Set + Intake/Exhaust High-Lift Rockers.
-Big Tube Air Intake Set
-31mm Injector Manifold + A-Type 6-hole high performance injector

See how that works, then if it's not enough, I'll throw in the Bazzaz combo to start tweaking with the fuel mixture.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Many of these parts are sold as a kit for a reason. Installing a bigger injector without increasing the displacement will just make it run bad. Way too rich. Same goes for a bigger intake and throttle body which will reduce air velocity to the detriment of fuel economy. Does Kitaco make a stroke kit. They are better established.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hmm, good info there.

AFAIK, Kitaco does NOT make any available engine mods for the PCX other than the i-Map. The only bore kit currently available to me is the Takegawa 170cc BBK, though I'm not crazy about having to replace the head gaskets(3-layers) every 3000 miles, particularly if that gasket set doesn't seem to be readily available.

I can see that a bigger injector might pose a problem if I don't simultaneously put in the Bazzaz to control the fuel mix, though it sounds like neither might be necessary without the bore kit.

On the other hand, I'm just judging based on what I see included in the Yuminashi Speed Combo Kit. From what I can tell, the camshaft alters the valve timing and could incidentally also means more air intake, something you said in the past would require a fuel mapper to compensate. Thus I'm wondering if the 31mm intake manifold I see in the picture of the set is meant to compensate for that so that it could be used with the stock ECU.

I also don't understand why the head gasket appears to be included in that Speed Combo Kit, or why the 31mm intake manifold is there without the injector(which, in the description of the part itself, says needs to be used in conjunction with the A-Type injector).

The descriptions on the Yuminashi site is a little clusterf*ck, so I'm not sure what I actually need and what I don't. I'd get the full speed kit, but I don't really need another vario so soon, and like you said, I probably don't need significantly longer gearing.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

A bigger intake doesn't provide more air. It allows it. If something else is drawing it. And it won't accomplish anything unless you also get an oversize throttle body and a bigger head and more displacement.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Valiant you need all the Yuminashi intake parts they are not compatible with the stock parts. TB, intake manifold, big injector etc...
Along with the cam, rockers and springs, I feel as if I achieved exactly the "5 mph bump" (from stock) you mentioned... and if I were to go with the
big bore kit I would hope to at least achieve a "10 mph bump".
I think it was mentioned somewhere that the Yumi cam is more aggressive than the Takegawa... hope this info helps. ;)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:A bigger intake doesn't provide more air. It allows it. If something else is drawing it. And it won't accomplish anything unless you also get an oversize throttle body and a bigger head and more displacement.
Would an aggressive performance camshaft qualify?

As for the throttle body, one doesn't seem to be available for the 2015 LED PCX version. There is only a 31mm injector manifold set. The description for that manifold set insists that a performance A-Type injector MUST be used with that set(presumably because the B-type stock injector won't work with it).

The 196cc kit DOES seem to include a 35mm throttle body, so one might actually exist, but it's just not available separately.

As I said, descriptions are a little clusterf*ck currently. Though based on available selection from 6, 8, and 14 hole injectors, and a description that states that the 6-hole injector is for 164cc kits, it might be okay to run on the stock cylinder, particularly if I purchase the Bazzaz as well in order to trim the fuel mix(though it may be pointless if the stock injector and manifold can handle the increased fuel mix).

In any case, I feel like I'm in an adventurous mood. My little job drama quite likely has me quitting in the next 2 weeks, and I'm drunk on half a bottle of champagne. Why not supercharge my little scoot, treat myself a little bit(certainly wouldn't be able to afford my mortgage payments and finish college), and see if I can impact that tree head on with no gear no helmet at 85+ mph?

Even drunk however, I'm a bit hesitant to do so, as I might cause a traffic accident and inconvenience the first responders with the task of cleaning my dead carcass off the foliage. Just a little joyride then? Traffic accident... Bah!

Decisions decisions <_<
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well unfortunately, it seems I'm not the only one having trouble getting in contact, as someone left this colorful review today for the BBK:
http://www.yuminashi.eu/196cc-big-bore-stroke-up-kit/
"I ordered this kit two weeks ago and I have written many emails to discuss about my purchase and have had no reply. I have not received any notice about my order other then you have received payment. Please reply to my emails to discuss my order."

I don't know if Yuminashi is a one-man operation, or if the whole team is on vacation, but it doesn't seem like it would do me any good to buy the speed combo kit if they won't even ship it out.

Looking damned hard at the Takegawa kit and I guess I'll ask my scooter shop what kind of time/cost it would be to replace the head gaskets every 3000 miles. Also wondering if I could mix the two sets with the Yuminashi valve springs and rockers with the Takegawa camshaft. But then again, it might just be fruitless musing if nothing is shipping out from Yuminashi.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I doubt you would ever have to replace the head gasket. I don't understand that one.
Don't send any money to Yuminashi. He is known to be shakey.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:I doubt you would ever have to replace the head gasket. I don't understand that one.
Don't send any money to Yuminashi. He is known to be shakey.
Yeah, I don't get it either:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3414
Pcxdemon wrote:I have to say this...yuminashi big bore is better. Why? Well it's slightly smaller than takegawa in cc's and that will give you a safety margin regarding head gasket space between water jacket and combustion chamber. It means there is less likely a chance of head gasket failure and a leak. Point 2, it uses a single layer gasket like a Honda stock gasket which also means of less failure than a triple layer takegawa gasket. Point 3, because it's a single layer gasket, compression is higher which means it will be more powerful than takegawa kit.
However takegawa is good kit as well, but, when my head gasket failed after 5000km,their reply was 'head gasket is a consumable part and it's advised to replace gasket after 5000km...also,it's made for racing application so no warranty afterwards is given unless you have received defective product and they would replace it immediately..
As for Yuminashi, known by who? The pussy who tried to sue the forum owner?

From what I can tell, Yuminashi has several dealers of their products, so they at least deliver the goods. And sue-happy pussy aside, I've never heard of any problems with their products.

I also believe the fact that anyone can leave a negative review there at all proves that those reviews aren't fabricated by the owner.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote:As for Yuminashi, known by who? .
Someone in Thailand tells of leaving his bike at Yuminashi headquarters in a fly by night looking shack for"developement" of new parts, getting it back with the engine ruined, and never getting it fixed.
No sense sending them any money until they tell you the kit is really available and ready to ship.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:
Valiant wrote:As for Yuminashi, known by who? .
Someone in Thailand tells of leaving his bike at Yuminashi headquarters in a fly by night looking shack for"developement" of new parts, getting it back with the engine ruined, and never getting it fixed.
Yes, that was the pussy who made several different accounts telling the same story, and then tried to sue maddiedog. From what I understand, Reggie fixed his PCX, and he'll have it back, when he pays for the original work that was done.

Funny thing too, my uncle was sued by a customer who never finished paying him for the original job(it was about an air conditioner IIRC). I have very little patience or sympathy for scum like that.
No sense sending them any money until they tell you the kit is really available and ready to ship.
That I would agree with, as I hate paying for something that isn't ready to ship out when they say it is.