Seized Engine

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

phishypenguin

Seized Engine

Post by phishypenguin »

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on what to do with my 2010 PCX. I've had it for two years and it has racked up 23k miles. I've always taken it to the Honda dealership for any work/services that it has needed, however I made the mistake of not checking my oil recently and two weeks ago the engine let go. At first it just coasted to a halt - then after waiting 5mins I tried to go on again as I wanted to get off the motorway I was on, but only managed half a mile before it started smoking and ground to a halt.

Upon taking it to the dealership, I've been told there is no compression and that they can't know for certain what the problem is without taking it apart but it would seem that the engine is seized. After being quoted £1000 for a rebuild I decided to buy something new, but I'm not sure what to do with my PCX now. I would like to have a go at trying to fix it myself, however I'm not sure what the cost of trying to do so myself would be and whether someone with no experience in this area could do so? Alternatively I was told by the dealership that I should just break it and sell it for parts or as it is - does anyone have any idea what sort of money I would get for breaking a PCX?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Seized Engine

Post by pcxpower »

I'm sorry about that... perhaps you can have a look at your local eBay, or if you have some local websites like "Craigslist" in the States and see if they sell PCX parts and their prices? Also, you could purchase a wrecked PCX and use the motor?
2015 Honda PCX 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

eBay has complete motors for sale: Linky.
Linky 2
If you don't want the hassle, just sell your PCX as is for spares or repair.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
phishypenguin

Post by phishypenguin »

Thank you both for the replies. I've taken a look at the engines on ebay before - I'm assuming this is probably the best place to source an engine? In terms of fitting an engine - is it simply a case of just removing the old one, putting in a new one and connecting up all the cables?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

phishypenguin wrote:Thank you both for the replies. I've taken a look at the engines on ebay before - I'm assuming this is probably the best place to source an engine? In terms of fitting an engine - is it simply a case of just removing the old one, putting in a new one and connecting up all the cables?
You could try local bike breakers as well. You'll need to watch though , as I assume your in the UK, there are 2 different types of engine.
If yours is a 2010 then it's the earlier one, it's not the ESP engine you want.

Swapping it is easy enough if your reasonably mechanically competent. It's probably harder getting the plastics off without breaking them.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

phishypenguin wrote: is it simply a case of just removing the old one, putting in a new one and connecting up all the cables?
I doubt it will be plug & play :lol:
Your piston probably looks like this and the cylinder walls as bad. I did this to a snow blower :roll: no oil and seize, all done. The rings are melted to the piston :lol:
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

My Husband did this to a lawn mower.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

In terms of fitting an engine - is it simply a case of just removing the old one, putting in a new one and connecting up all the cables?
Yes.
Then once fitted it either just runs or the fun starts.......
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
phishypenguin

Post by phishypenguin »

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Think I'll try and strip it down to see what the damage is and then decide from there!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

If you are able to do the work yourself at your leisure, now would be the time to put in a big bore kit. But then you would also have to spend some additional money to get the fueling right.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:If you are able to do the work yourself at your leisure, now would be the time to put in a big bore kit. But then you would also have to spend some additional money to get the fueling right.
It would be nice to have a new one and one to go crazy with all manor of mods and performance parts... but I guess you'd have to love it like a hobby.
GARETT0439

Post by GARETT0439 »

Parts are extremely cheap for these engines. They are cheaper than any other engine I have ever seen by far.
I would rebuild it since the piston and cylinder can be replaced in a few hours.
Piston:20$
Rings: 8$
Wrist pin and clips:2.50$
Cylinder:40$
Head gasket: 4$

Even if your top end it destroyed valves are only 5$ for the intake and 13$ for exhaust!
Last edited by GARETT0439 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GARETT0439

Post by GARETT0439 »

I shop at bikebandit; here's a link to the schematic for a 2011 PCX 125. I believe that's your generation. Can anyone confirm?
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch691747
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Eish. That reminds me. I need to check my oil levels
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GARETT0439 wrote:I shop at bikebandit; here's a link to the schematic for a 2011 PCX 125. I believe that's your generation. Can anyone confirm?
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch691747
wow! this site is massive, I have been stuck in their since you posted it 8) bunch of good stuff and interesting topics in the blog section like wind noise and hearing damage.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

GARETT0439 wrote:Parts are extremely cheap for these engines. They are cheaper than any other engine I have ever seen by far.
I would rebuild it since the piston and cylinder can be replaced in a few hours.
Piston:20$
Rings: 8$
Wrist pin and clips:2.50$
Cylinder:40$
Head gasket: 4$

Even if your top end it destroyed valves are only 5$ for the intake and 13$ for exhaust!
OP is in the UK, prices here are very different.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

If I were in your position, I would find an engine from the same generation PCX off of a wrecked bike and just do an engine swap. It'll be less work and possibly less cost than replacing the top end, especially if there's damage to the head.

Plus, there's a handy how-to I made for removing the engine specifically applicable to your generation PCX. It should be easy with the tutorial. Here it is, and PM me if you get stuck or have any questions on the procedure: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2937
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
phishypenguin

Post by phishypenguin »

Just to give an update on the engine. I've taken the whole thing apart to reveal the piston and cylinder with pictures attached. The piston doesn't appear to have much movement on the rod and I'm struggling to remove the piston head from the rod - is there an easy way to do this as I'm wary of putting too much pressure on it and snapping the rod.

The piston is obviously in a bad way and the cylinder has some marks on it too. I'm not too sure what the part where the valves are should look like - based on the picture would anyone be able to give me an idea of what the damage looks to be to that area? When I took the bike in originally I was told that you should replace the whole engine in the top and bottom, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for in terms of damage in the bottom end as taking all that apart seems to be a much more complex job!

Finally, many thanks to the detailed how to guides on this website, they've been invaluable in helping me get to the stage I'm at now!
Attachments
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG (135.48 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG (105.8 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG (115.01 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

How many miles was it before your last service, don't normally need a top up between services. Valves look ok for 23K.
Cant tell too much from the photo's, any marks on the cams/bearings. Need to check for movement of con rod/piston.
Doesn't look like its been burning oil to me.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
phishypenguin

Post by phishypenguin »

Last service was 16,500 miles, but i changed the oil at 19,000 as they said to change it every 2,500-3,000. I thought that would see me through until the next MOT this month. It's difficult to see much of the bottom end through the gap, but from what I can see there don't appear to be any marks on any of the components. It looks like there is oil when you look straight down through the gap which seems odd.

The connecting rod gives a little movement from side to side which is normal I think. The piston though is quite tough to spin on the rod and I'm finding it hard to get it off/push the pin through. I've attached a picture of the area that I mean.

Which parts are the cams? And what do you mean by it doesn't look like it has been burning oil?
Attachments
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG (94.18 KiB) Viewed 2067 times