I've been shopping for a High-Viz mesh jacket.

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: I've been shopping for a High-Viz mesh jacket.

Post by yak »

Instead of buying the one exact jacket i want and need (Steph's high-viz), i just bought 3 more motorcycle jackets on Craigslist. I will pick them up today. One is a textile jacket with armor (not the mesh like Steph's). One is an old-fashioned black leather jacket. One is a jacket that can be used as a rain coat or an inner liner but it doesn't have armor. What is the maximum number of jackets i can own before i need to appear on the Dr. Phil tv show?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

yak wrote:Instead of buying the one exact jacket i want and need (Steph's high-viz), i just bought 3 more motorcycle jackets on Craigslist. I will pick them up today. One is a textile jacket with armor (not the mesh like Steph's). One is an old-fashioned black leather jacket. One is a jacket that can be used as a rain coat or an inner liner but it doesn't have armor. What is the maximum number of jackets i can own before i need to appear on the Dr. Phil tv show?

They'll all shrink over the winter....
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I also have the Rav'it H20 Hi-Viz rain jacket that I've been wearing over a black armored jacket during the cold weather. Perfect windbreaker. I wont wear the black jacket alone for safety reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQoV32JtDM
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Steph wrote:Men's version of my H-Viz armored riding jacket.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/high-visibility ... cle-jacket
I like mine.....the fit is good, best thing I like is % of jacket that is hi viz ....and the extended rear tail on the back for coverage when sitting a scoot. Also lots of reflective tapes for night riding.
Have seen them for $100 ,off season. Layer up under it for winter.
Fish
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

You ever crash in that yet?

I've heard second hand accounts that the poly material will melt into your skin at high speeds and would require a skin graft to remove o_O .
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Valiant wrote:

I've heard second hand accounts that the poly material will melt into your skin at high speeds and would require a skin graft to remove o_O .
but Steph has yet to achieve "high speeds" :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Valiant wrote:

Not together. The high and the speed were at separate parties. :D
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Valiant wrote:

Well, if you can't do armored leathers, this mesh I as a damsight better than canvas, cotton , wool or flesh.
That is what it is made for.
Fish
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Post by Drifter »

Buy whatever jacket you like and want then add a hi viz vest? If its really hot just wear the vest.....
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

homie wrote:
Valiant wrote:

Would have to wear through the CE rated body armor before it got to my skin. ;) @Homie - Pull my finger! :lol:
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Steph wrote: Would have to wear through the CE rated body armor before it got to my skin. ;) @Homie - Pull my finger! :lol:
True, though different designs for different purposes. The armor is not meant to be abrasion resistant, and I doubt the armor would stay in place if the outer layer is torn apart or melts.

Still, I suppose it's a lot of armchair quarterbacking if I criticize a piece of gear without having anyone crash in it first.

Volunteers :D ?

I expect to have some high performance parts stuck into my PCX next month, so chances are good that my stuff will have a run for its money if I ever vacate the seat without both feet on the ground 8) .
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I have an Olympia mesh suit. I think it's called Stealth. They may have replaced it with the Avenger model nowadays. Anyway, I rode from central PA to Kansas City a couple years ago, maybe 3 years ago, that summer when it was ridiculously hot i.e. record setting. My suit is high vis. I've noticed that when I'm driving my car, I see people on m/c wearing high vis extremely well, better than the guys wearing black, by far. My dad has a high vis helmet, and he was following me one day in traffic and it was amazing how much that helmet made him stand out in my rear view mirror.

The suit worked great. Eventually, when it gets hot enough, nothing is going to work, but I will say that air flows through that Olympia suit extremely well. Almost like you're not wearing it at all.

Before that, I had a Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket and separate pants. It also worked very well in summer. It gets pretty hot here in Kansas City, and we have a lot of bright sunny days. Probably not Phoenix level, but hotter and sunnier than many places.

Everything you wear is a compromise. The First Gear jacket and pants were a little lighter and perhaps a tiny smidge cooler than the Olympia suit. It's easier to have a two piece if you are constantly going in and out of a store or whatnot. On the other hand, the Olympia suit gives me a vibe that it would protect me more if I went down than the FirstGear stuff I had. You decide what is important to you. The Olympia stuff seemed like the best compromise of cool and protected to me. Fortunately, I attended a BMW rally a while back and the vendors there had all kinds of stuff you could try on before you bought, and that's when I decided to order the Stealth suit.
'88 BMW R100RT
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Um, someone always speaks of melting mesh but I just don't feel any of us will be skidding along the pavement fast and long enough in the same position on one of these very ventilated jackets to melt into skin. I wish I had a manikin and an extra jacket to drag behind my truck for an excessive distance to put this one down as bunk.

Steph... you are my kind of woman but I will not pull it 8) hey its my B-Day next week and I'm waiting out a newly purchased G21, you know you want to pull that!
Lancer525

Post by Lancer525 »

Well, when it's 100°, with 99% humidity with a heat index of 530° here, exactly which lightweight, armored jacket should one wear in July and August, so that one doesn't melt or sweat to death? There have been some days in summers past that I would have given good money to have been able to be comfortable, even at 40 mph. When you feel like you're riding in an oven, and don't get anything but a blast of hot, humid air, no matter what speed you're traveling, the idea of a cool protective jacket really is appealing.

I've often thought of taking some kind of very small pump, and hooking it up to a tubing system, to run cool water through the jacket, but I don't have that kind of engineering chutzpah.

I envision about a quart of water in the reservoir, maybe with those frozen blue gel cubes cooling things off, and a few yards of 1/8" plastic tubing meandering through the jacket, with some sort of fish-tank pump, powered by a battery (or maybe a plug in to the scoot's electrical system!) to keep that ice water recirculating around the body. Especially when sitting at a traffic light in July and August.

I wonder if something like that could be invented?
Insert interesting signature here.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Um, someone always speaks of melting mesh but I just don't feel any of us will be skidding along the pavement fast and long enough in the same position on one of these very ventilated jackets to melt into skin. I wish I had a manikin and an extra jacket to drag behind my truck for an excessive distance to put this one down as bunk.

Steph... you are my kind of woman but I will not pull it 8) hey its my B-Day next week and I'm waiting out a newly purchased G21, you know you want to pull that!

Oookayy...
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My Tourmaster 3/4 Air Jacket (Sonora) has a 3 in 1 jacket setup. It is a Hi-viz mesh jacket that goes below the waist. Then it has a windbreaker/rain jacket in it and then a quilted lined vest. The interesting part of it is that the parts can be changed in and out, so that you could, for example, take the windbreaker/rain jacket out and zip the quilted vest in. Or you can have all three in at the same time. Or you can ride with just the mesh jacket on. The armor is in the mesh jacket itself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Lancer525

Post by Lancer525 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Lancer, something Like This?
http://www.veskimo.com/body-cooling-ves ... eman-video
Yes indeedie! Something very much like that, but with the tubing in the arms too. Inside the jacket, and with the water pump pack about 1/3 the size of that one.

Let me think about this for a moment.

A quick-connect line leading to the reservoir/pump in the top case, plugged into the scoot's electrical system, and there you are.

I bet it would take a half-dozen iterations, but I know some local hacker-types who would love to give this a go.

When you get ready to go on your jaunt, you unscrew the lid to the reservoir, drop your gel icepacks in, screw the top back on, plug in the water line to your jacket, flip the pump switch, and off you go. Cold water circulating about your body in the summertime.

Yes, this could be a good idea.
Insert interesting signature here.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

homie wrote:Um, someone always speaks of melting mesh but I just don't feel any of us will be skidding along the pavement fast and long enough in the same position on one of these very ventilated jackets to melt into skin. I wish I had a manikin and an extra jacket to drag behind my truck for an excessive distance to put this one down as bunk.

Would love to pull the G21! :D :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:oops: OMGadosh! ^^^^ At fast glance, ^^^^ I thought I read......gn2
It's late...what can I say? Color me sleepy

What's with all the "pulling" lately? Are ya'll talking triggers in sign language now? :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You