Preformance Spark Plug...

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Preformance Spark Plug...

Post by homie »

Specified Spark Plug - CPR7EA-9 (NGK)
gap (0.03 - 0.04 in.) 0.8 - 0.9 mm
http://www.amazon.com/NGK-CPR7EA-9-Stan ... +%28NGK%29

BRISK PERFORMANCE SPARK PLUG Replaces NGK CPR7EA-9 - w/ 360-degree electrode
http://www.amazon.com/BRISK-PERFORMANCE ... +%28NGK%29

Do we care?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Preformance Spark Plug...

Post by SECoda »

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I'm sure someone on the forum got a brisk plug and it failed causing a breakdown. I'll need to look back and find the thread.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yikes. It was anything but brisk!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

It might have been a duff plug or the wrong heat range plug for the bike, hence the failure. They must sell a few plugs and they can all be that bad or they wouldn't be in business long.

I've tried non standard plugs before in the past but they didn't seem to make any difference in my opinion.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=2291

That's quite a story... thank you for finding this :roll: terrible awful PR for Brisk and this scooter community. I don't think anyone would put that plug in their PCX now and that includes me. I was just shopping a plug for the 5k replacement on Amazon when that option lined up with the NGK.

To answer my own question about Brisk plugs "do we care"
no... NO! o_O
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

It might have been a one off, but is it worth the risk of engine damage and invalidating the warranty using non recommended parts.

I don't think so.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Alibally wrote:It might have been a one off, but is it worth the risk of engine damage and invalidating the warranty using non recommended parts.

I don't think so.
Again thanks for digging that out, I agree with you on this one. I will draw the line at engine mods, it's one thing to customize and individualize your scoot and I got nothing against clutch upgrades but unless your name is demonkid stay away from my power plant :lol: Honda knows better about the nuances of that little motor.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Alibally wrote:It might have been a one off, but is it worth the risk of engine damage and invalidating the warranty using non recommended parts.

I don't think so.
Just curious, but what kind of damage could it cause and why?

I've heard someone mention in another scooter forum that their mechanic said the plug's plasma burns too hot or something, and about 20 different people called BS on it, saying that it creates a spark, and at no point is "plasma" ever formed.

From what I've read on how it works, the electrode is smaller, and the spark created is hotter. I would think that would mean there's less chance of misfires, and burning premium gas is no problem(something that might be necessary with big bore kits increasing the compression ratio IIRC).

I don't expect performance gains, but it might be convenient not to have to worry about the spark plug for longer periods of time.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

If you have an electric spark then you have plasma. Even a static spark from rubbing your feet on the carpet and then touching a door knob produces plasma. I don't know if the temperature of the plasma on this spark plug is too hot or not. Too hot of a spark can cause problems within the combustion chamber however.

I personally would not waste my money on such plugs but rather use what the manufactures suggests and make sure they are in good shape with the correct gap. There does appear to be some benefit to these fancy plugs but it is small at best. For those who want to read a very scientific study on these plugs check here -
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7912000883
forza300
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by forza300 »

I've changed plugs over the years and tried a few different models and come to the conclusion that there is zero discernible difference provided the gap and plug specification is the same. Plug = spark = combustion when mixed with the correct air/fuel. That's about the size of it. Fuel and air mixture would surely be far, far from important than a minor energy difference in the spark!

Maybe spend the cash on high octane or even an octane booster.
------------------------
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

One thing I do not understand is the fact that though I have my PCX 150 as one of my vehicles in my "garage" on amazon.com, a big red message has popped up on the screen there telling me that the standard replacement plug they show will not fit my PCX. I have looked in the service manual and the owners manual, but the answer is the same. This is the suggested plug. So why does amazon say that it isn't for my PCX?? Go figure. I don't know who handles their automotive stuff, but I think they need to read the manual on this bike!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:One thing I do not understand is the fact that though I have my PCX 150 as one of my vehicles in my "garage" on amazon.com, a big red message has popped up on the screen there telling me that the standard replacement plug they show will not fit my PCX. I have looked in the service manual and the owners manual, but the answer is the same. This is the suggested plug. So why does amazon say that it isn't for my PCX?? Go figure. I don't know who handles their automotive stuff, but I think they need to read the manual on this bike!

Bastards!
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

forza300 wrote: Maybe spend the cash on high octane or even an octane booster.
Higher octane will not give better performance - it will actually do the opposite.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

A lot of those part guidelines on Amazon or Ebay are just plain incorrect. Use the Honda certified OEM part suppliers or the manual.