Givi Monokey vs Monolock

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Givi Monokey vs Monolock

Post by Monty1952 »

Lots of info on selections people have made when using search for Givi but I have an in use question. Is it intended or in fact practical to just unlock these and simply carry into your hotel/motel each night when travelling or is it a pain? Maybe its better to make sure you pick a model with an insert that you lift out and walk away with leaving the top box in place. Any in use comments also welcome.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Re: Givi Monokey vs Monolock

Post by MikeP »

I have a Shad SH37 top box on my pcx. Love it, can unlock it from the baseplate and take it into the office with ease. Givi is great too, I like the ability to unlock the box and take it with me like a briefcase.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have Givi tailboxes and love them. If you have something them that is valuable you can just turn the key, push the button, and take the unit off. There is an area on it that acts as a handle, which makes it easy to carry. Just remember to lock the box again after you have popped it loose. If there isn't anything that you would consider valuable in the box, just leave it on the bike. It is locked in place and hard to break into.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Once you get used to the lock mechanism its a piece of piss to take off and put back on.
Its designed/intended for regular and easy removal.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Thanks Mel46, MikeP and gn2 for comments. Went out today and bought Givi V47 with lights kit and frame as BF sale still on. The store I bought from is GPBIKES.COM with the most incredible levels of service and products if anyone happens to be near Toronto.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

That's a large nice one. Be sure to post some shots. I am milling over some case for the Forza since I plan on going a lot farther with it over the PCX. That supposedly holds two full sized helmets. o_O

Did you get the rear rest?
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

SECoda wrote:That's a large nice one. Be sure to post some shots. I am milling over some case for the Forza since I plan on going a lot farther with it over the PCX. That supposedly holds two full sized helmets. o_O

Did you get the rear rest?
No I didn't get the rear rest as its very unlikely I will have any passengers. I intend to have a big trip each year for the next two at least. Not sure if its a trip across Canada next year or Route 66. While I knew the original Route 66 has some stretches that are quite rough I did look at some Youtube footage last night and its not exactly scooter friendly. An adventure bike would be more in line -lol. It will be the Forza though and will just make sure I have some scooter friendly dealers mapped out just in case.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I like the video footage of the couple that left the US and quit their jobs to move to Thailand. They bought a new Forza and traveled all over SE Asia on it. Some of the roads are not paved and it seemed to rain a lot. They are braver than I.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

V47 installed and now in use - first stop was beer store! Now I can carry more than 6 cans at a time lol. Just have to work out where LED lights best wired to and that will be a winter project.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had that tailbox and i added a string of led lights around it. I had to glue them on with superglue, but along with its builtin lights, that tailbox had a lot of lights. Whenever i hit the brakes, some of those lights were used as additional brake lights. People definitely knew i was stopping. I left the box on my Burgman when i sold it. It just seemed to go with it so well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jon_l
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

Monty - the subject line is the Givi Monolock vs. Monokey, but there isn't any of that in the posts here.

I am interested because I have a Givi Monokey V46 that has been on my last 2 motos, and I'd like the option to swap it onto my new (still at store) '13 PCX150.

I would like a rear rack for day-to-day, with the option of the top case occasionally when more is needed. I have searched and read and not yet found anyone else using Monokey on their PCX. I too am in Southern Ontario, and I too shop at GP Bikes - excellent store.

Do you have any info to share about how you mounted your Monokey case to your scooter? Also, what year is yours?

Thank you.
black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

jon_l - I am really sorry but I am not much help on the PCX as my scoot is the Forza. I am likely wrong but I didn't think Givi made a Monokey plate for the PCX. I am sure someone here will however correct me and say one or there is a workaround of some kind. On the Forza it was about 20 min to drill a few holes and fit the SR1123 plate.
Collingwood to the GP store is quite a hike but the service there is unmatched in my experience.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
jon_l
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

Thanks Monty.

I became a GP customer when I lived in Mississauga. Still a haul across Toronto. Bought 2 bikes, several helmets, etc. there. Good folks. I wish they still sold scooters.
black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

jon_l wrote: I became a GP customer when I lived in Mississauga. Still a haul across Toronto. Bought 2 bikes, several helmets, etc. there. Good folks. I wish they still sold scooters.
Scooters a tough sell in Canada and several brands like Honda and BMW have cut back on models they sell here. Toronto surprises me as with such a multicultural population I would have expected higher sales when many people originate from scooter countries such as Italy. I guess the longish winter puts many off. Insurance companies for example talk about an April to October season but I would ride March to early/mid December.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

We had 34,000 scooter sales in 2013 but only about 33,000 in 2014. Probably not statistically significant but sales didn't grow like motorcycles did.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Monty1952 wrote:
jon_l wrote: I became a GP customer when I lived in Mississauga. Still a haul across Toronto. Bought 2 bikes, several helmets, etc. there. Good folks. I wish they still sold scooters.
Scooters a tough sell in Canada and several brands like Honda and BMW have cut back on models they sell here. Toronto surprises me as with such a multicultural population I would have expected higher sales when many people originate from scooter countries such as Italy. I guess the longish winter puts many off. Insurance companies for example talk about an April to October season but I would ride March to early/mid December.
You're not speaking for southwestern BC, I assume. The rest of Canada can keep their stinking snow.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

[/quote]You're not speaking for southwestern BC, I assume. The rest of Canada can keep their stinking snow.[/quote]

Sad to say I would accept your year round rain instead of our winters.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Monty! :)
Excusez-moi....I thought I'd take this opportunity to add in a Givi YouTube explaining
the "Difference between the Monokey and Monolock System."
It can be a bit confusing. Me? I remember...then I forget again :oops: ah well. Enjoy

Here Ya go hooligan's! :D

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Yes - the size kind of dictates which one you end up with up to a point. I have the Givi V47 Monokey on my Forza but just ordered the E370 in the video for my PCX which is the Monolock. Anything larger on the PCX starts getting wide and looking funky IMO.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hi Monty! :)
Excusez-moi....I thought I'd take this opportunity to add in a Givi YouTube explaining
the "Difference between the Monokey and Monolock System."
It can be a bit confusing. Me? I remember...then I forget again :oops: ah well.
:lol: :lol: So like me your not 21 anymore! :lol: :lol:
My fave store told me that if I planned any longer trips and hoped to have box in 10 years go Monokey. If I was thinking under 5 years and mostly local trips Monolock would be fine.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!