NSS 300 Fuel Pump Recall/Replacement: Success?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

forzanator
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

NSS 300 Fuel Pump Recall/Replacement: Success?

Post by forzanator »

Hello.

Has anyone had the recall completed yet?
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Re: NSS 300 Fuel Pump Recall/Replacement: Success?

Post by Monty1952 »

Yes this morning. Honda pay the dealer 1 hour of time to complete. It takes way more than that and in my case close to 4 hours. Almost the entire body has to be stripped away before getting to the tank and pump and of course all put together again. I may be wrong but it seemed to be more responsive on the way home and slightly smoother from a stop in particular.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Monty1952 wrote:Yes this morning. Honda pay the dealer 1 hour of time to complete. It takes way more than that and in my case close to 4 hours. Almost the entire body has to be stripped away before getting to the tank and pump and of course all put together again. I may be wrong but it seemed to be more responsive on the way home and slightly smoother from a stop in particular.
Sorry, I do not understand this....
According to my service manual the fuel pump removal and install looks pretty straightforward.
The manual states that the seat/luggage box is removed, remove the battery, the fuel line...undo the hold down clips and take out the pump. Intallation is the reverse.
Actually, a few weeks ago - not being certain if my scoot was in the recall, but wanting to be safe on my travels - I looked into doing the replacement myself, sense it looked pretty simple.

Makes me wonder if the service fellows had ever worked on a Forza - and were learning as they went along?
I was already thinking that I may look into taking my scooter to a Honda power dealer, with certified techs, rather than back to the dealer my scoot came from. Fellows who have proven to be rather inept at dealing with scooters they sell as a side-line to their 4 runners and motorcycles. ....For this very reason. Mine may be the only Forza they sold this year....I'd rather they not learn their trade on my bike!
Fish
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

fish...I agree...from reading the works manual it appears a fairly simple operation...I am no mechanic but even I would feel confident I could tackle a pump replacement if I had to...and never 4 hours....and no tupperware removal..
My Forza is booked into my local Honda main dealer next week for a pump replacement so I hope they know what they are doing...they admit mine will be the first they have done...so I think I will take a photocopy of the relevant manual pages along if only to let them know I know ...
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

dergav wrote:fish...I agree...from reading the works manual it appears a fairly simple operation...I am no mechanic but even I would feel confident I could tackle a pump replacement if I had to...and never 4 hours....and no tupperware removal..
My Forza is booked into my local Honda main dealer next week for a pump replacement so I hope they know what they are doing...they admit mine will be the first they have done...so I think I will take a photocopy of the relevant manual pages along if only to let them know I know ...
Like yourself this is the first fuel pump recall they have done but they have and do sell quite a few Forza's. just in case anyone thinks they are stretching it out for billing purposes they again only get paid for 1 hour. I do know that several dealers are up in arms about the 1 hour as they know it takes quite a bit more.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:The manual states that the seat/luggage box is removed
Have you looked at what's involved in getting the luggage box out...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mortimer
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by Mortimer »

forzanator wrote:Hello.

I had mine replaced 13 days ago. The dealership folks told me that it took them more than 2 hours for the replacement job. Yet to observe any difference. But I must say that I put on 300 miles with the old filter and just 30 miles with the new one!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Mortimer wrote:
forzanator wrote:Hello.
I had mine replaced 13 days ago. The dealership folks told me that it took them more than 2 hours for the replacement job. Yet to observe any difference. But I must say that I put on 300 miles with the old filter and just 30 miles with the new one!
Imagine what they would charge for labour if Honda was not paying and knew how long a job like that should take.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Wonder if you can get the dealer to check the valves at a minimal charge while they're at it?
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

I'm due for the first scheduled oil change. Hopefully I can just have them do that and the recall stuff (assuming mine's part of that) at the same time.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Had the letter this morning, waiting for dealer to get bits in so I can book it in. Would keep you updated
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

trigg123 wrote:Had the letter this morning, waiting for dealer to get bits in so I can book it in. Would keep you updated

Buy a PCX whilst you are waiting....
NeilForza
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Silver

Post by NeilForza »

I had mine done on Saturday and it took longer than they expected. This was due to a problem with the new seals, once installed the seals leaked so they removed and tried again.... The seals leaked again.
They then installed the new pump with the old seals and all was good.
Mine was the 1st Forza they had done and they admitted it was a learning experience for them.
It did look like a job and a half and they also told me they only get an hours labour for the job even though the letter says it takes approx. one and a half hours.

Yesterday was the first day I have used the bike since the work and I think I noticed a difference at low speeds/city riding. When I got home I was asking myself if I was just imagining it because I knew I had had the work done but no, I honestly think it rode better :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

So, they fixed the pump but now have a problem with the seals :)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

AustinPCX wrote:Wonder if you can get the dealer to check the valves at a minimal charge while they're at it?
60 fuel ups....?
How many miles on your Forza?
Doubt it would be a minimal charge to check the valve lash.....whatever time past 1 hour for the pump might be on your bill for the valves. Maybe not , certainly worth asking.
You do have to be careful with the pump seals....lube them and take it easy... did the pump on my Kymco....it was a large 0 ring seal.
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

My new Forza had exactly 0.1 miles total on it when they replaced the fuel pump last Friday. 168 miles now after the warm weekend. No leaks - runs perfectly.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

SECoda wrote:My new Forza had exactly 0.1 miles total on it when they replaced

g][/url]
I wonder, are you the first in the USA to get the recall letter and have the work completed?
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I don't know. The dealer actually got the letter the day before I negotiated the deal on the bike so it worked out well for me on the deal. It sat there over 4 weeks waiting for the pump to arrive and then took them 2 days to get to it and part of a morning to do the work. Since it was brand new they had to service it and the battery, etc..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:60 fuel ups....?
How many miles on your Forza?
86 fuel ups and 14000 odd miles on mine :)

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... gn2/234829
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Hopefully they will be coming down...

£0.075 Avg Price/Mile o_O