TYRE CHANGE

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Stefsam

TYRE CHANGE

Post by Stefsam »

Guys,
I have pcx 150 2013. I had it for about 15 months or so 4,000 km
I have released that factory tyres are the best when ground is a bit wet with mist or light rain.
What brand / tyre change would you recommend? Or factory tyres are ok?

Thanks to all!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: TYRE CHANGE

Post by Valiant »

I think you're obviously doing fine with the stock tires if you haven't slipped on the thing for 15 months.

I however slipped off the road after 2 weeks and broke my leg, so I figured I'd upgrade to the Michelin City Grips to avoid a repeat on wet roads.
Stefsam

Post by Stefsam »

many thanks! I slipped once don't worry as I slammed break! Thank God I was only going 15 km
So you found michelin city grips good?
cheers!!!
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

City grips are the best you will get, IRC tyres i think personally are really good in the dry but lack grip in the wet, where as city grips give you better grip in the wet.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

Stefsam

Post by Stefsam »

good for dry aswell? as here in Malta we have more or less 8 months of dry?
Stefsam

Post by Stefsam »

and thanks very much for the advise!
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

in malta i don't think it will make too much of a difference really what tyre you use being in a dry climate, and naturally most tyres will grip well in the dry anyway, IRC's would be ok for the short time your in the wet, just take your time.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

IRC's are fine in the wet , but city grips are better. I used them for 2 years in Scotland in plenty wet weather with no problem. The IRC's didn't last that log on the back. (4200 miles).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I'm not sure what difference various tires will make on Malta, which is dry. However, I have found here in Georgia (USA) that City Grips work quite well. I know that each individual has their own opinion on the right tires, but we are so sold on City Grips that I have changed both of our bikes over to them. Their grip is outstanding.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
lion1966
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by lion1966 »

Hello, I bought a pcx 125 in September, on road had wet and cold, lost grip in the corners, I ordered the tires "Pirelli Diablo scooter", come next week, I will let you know.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Thanks for the post, I too have slipped in the rear while in a corner a couple of times. Kind of scared me because I have never slipped before. Have about 5100km on the bike, but lately it has rained a lot. On my previous bike I had Pirelli tires, not sure of the model, however they stuck to the road in wet conditions. Now the reasurch begins. Michellin City Grips or Pirelli.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
Stefsam

Post by Stefsam »

Thanks guys ..... I did some research ... I think both Michelin and Pirelli
Are good ... But I found more reviews on Michelin on pcx ...
So I think I l go for Michelin unfortunely it's only by order here
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Well I now have 5800 km on my PCX and have just installed Pirelli Diablo tires. Even with the factory film that is on them (have to be broken in) they are more grippy than my stock ones. I will report back in a few hundred KM.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012

Post by djcat »

IMO IRCs are rubbish when it gets below 10 Celsius (and a few people on here and a few magazine´s that have tested them will agree with me). I have lost the front on a cold roundabout at 15mph once, I nearly came off in an emergency stop with the bike wobbling to a halt from 60 mph instead of giving me gradual and stable deceleration (no, I didn´t lock the wheels). The scooter wobbles at anything beyond 60 mph (and I do check the pressure quite often).

I got a set of slightly larger Heidenau K66s in the garage that I will put on as soon as I have time.

Cheers and safe riding to you all (no matter what tyres you use).
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Most summer tyres are rubbish at low temps. It's recommend to fit winter tyres on cars under 7 degrees C
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012

Post by djcat »

I agree and all my cars got winter or proper snowflake certified all weather tyres, but most summer tyres don´t just wash away at below 10 degrees unless there is oil or ice or other surface rubbish. At least none of my bike tyres did that (until I tried the IRCs).
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Stefsam wrote:Thanks guys ..... I did some research ... I think both Michelin and Pirelli
Are good ... But I found more reviews on Michelin on pcx ...
So I think I l go for Michelin unfortunely it's only by order here
If you finish your profile and others know where you live many times people will link you to the best price and local supplier for whatever you are scouting out in this forum. There is trouble recently in the US finding a front stock size Michelin for PCX but it has been done by WhiteNoise.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi to both djcat and Stefsam :) homie is right, if you two can provide your location (in your profile) we All will be able to help one another with proper info. now and whenever you ask for help ;)
You can follow my directions below my post if you're in question about "how to" add that info.

About that front Michelin City Grip tire, if you are in the U.S. That hard to find 90/90/14 can be found & bought here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28 ... front-tire

They also have the rear. Good to have you here! Cheers :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I've got IRC's on my PCX, had it 6 months and it's now around -1 early morning with most things frozen over (even my scooter cover had a thin layer of frost on it this morning). A bit nervous in these conditions but I got to work just fine, but I take it easy on corners and curves rather than push it, and ride the throttle as needed. I would feel safer with City Grips, but so far the IRC's seems ok in wet and sub-zero temp. Not saying they could not be bettered because they could, but I've not found them too bad so far. Conditions going home are always better so it's the early morning jaunt in that's the main worry.
If conditions get much worse and snow arrives in London, the scoot will take a well deserved rest for weeks/month.