Speed & Power mods for 2015 PCX US model?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Speed & Power mods for 2015 PCX US model?

Post by Valiant »

This little detour had me concerned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MGSSA3iF5Y

Skip to 48:30 for relevant portion. From what I could visually tell, there was a very tiny uphill incline, and about the same level of wind, but my speed took a nosedive down to about 47 mph, in a 55-60 mph zone, where the flow of traffic was easily going 70 mph. My only clue that there was any uphill was when I hit the steeper downhill portion, and my speed jumped back up to 63 mph, where it hit the rev limiter.

IIRC, the parts recommended are:
-NCY Variator
-NCY drive face
-NCY roller weights 13g

I'm kind of curious about what effects that setup would have on mpg, acceleration, and the overall life of the PCX.

While I don't anticipate regularly going around the island, I might hop over to the neighboring city, which would inevitably require getting on a 60 mph highway where traffic regularly goes at 70+ mph.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Speed & Power mods for 2015 PCX US model?

Post by homie »

Just do it, and if you don't like it undo it... simple stuff Val. I can't say about mpg because weather has me in lock down and when I was riding with that setup I was benching and hitting it hard. Bike indicates high 70's so under normal condition I bet you are going to lose 20 miles per gallon. You could even do it in that parking garage under your crib. I doubt it will have any effect on longevity of our PCX's... not that mod anyway. Maybe a belt someday but you can do that too.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I lost no mpg at all, in fact got my best mpg with the NCY vario, drive face and 13g rollers. Just be sure to keep an eye on your oil level people! And, remember it needs to be measured with the bike on the center stand, not the side stand.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:I lost no mpg at all, in fact got my best mpg with the NCY vario, drive face and 13g rollers. Just be sure to keep an eye on your oil level people! And, remember it needs to be measured with the bike on the center stand, not the side stand.
Uh... why would it burn oil :lol:
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I doubt it would be wise for me to install anything myself, given my poor mechanic skills and solution of choice(hit it with a hammer!).

That aside, I was more curious about the affect on the mileage than anything else. I'm perfectly happy with anything above 60 mpg. While it's probably easier to buy a more powerful scooter, space is an issue, so I've opted for performance mods instead.

Would an aftermarket exhaust be wise, or is that stretching what's legal? I recall reading something about how modifying your exhaust to be louder is a no-no. Though I'm interested in a quiet exhaust anyhow.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

:lol: I like the quiet gentler muffler, I think it's what one comes to expect as part of the overall appeal of a passing "scooter". Would it be safer with some rumble, YES!. Would you get more from your scoot, absolutely. But then I could never understand loud boats either. ITS A BOAT... HELLO! no ones comes here to hear that shist. (that's me on the beach screaming at some putz) ;)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Okay, here's that bit:
"Exhausts can't be modified, altered, or repaired in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle is increased above that emitted by the vehicle as originally equipped from the factory."

It's a little confusing, though I technically don't believe it mentions anything about replacing the muffler.

Oh and ScooterMan. I remember you mentioning in another thread about either cutting holes in some grate, or removing it entirely? Is that a necessary step? What does that do for performance? Will these mods work fine without it?
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Remove the airfilter and look at the back of it. There is a metal screen and a cheese grater looking thing on the back side of it. A razor blade will cut off the 4 platic buttons/nubs that hold it on. I don't have scientific or dyno proof, but assuming that removing the restriction can only be a good thing. It's presumably there to cut down on noise. I noticed a small difference in accel when removing just that part from the scoot. My Takegawa "power silent oval" exhaust is VERY mellow on the exhaust note, close to stock. Would not bother anyone in the least. No trouble from the cops, guaranteed. It also helps a bit with performance. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Good to know. My discussion with my dealer confirms that they will indeed do these mods no problem. I was even told that it might not necessarily void my warranty so long as it's done by an authorized dealer and not by myself, though I'd have to call Honda to confirm this. Aftermarket exhaust is also okay. I doubt there's any trouble with the law given that cops shouldn't be able to tell whether it's a stock part or not, plus I doubt any aftermarket exhaust is going to compare to stupid loud Harley's :D .

I'm also curious about any other upgrades I can "layer" on like the clutch/clutch bell, air filter, intake, etc. Though I admittedly have no clue if these would synergize well with each other, or cause problems down the road.

Maybe just keep it simple and stupid for now? I think even a small bump up in acceleration and uphill speed would please me greatly.

At least, until I want a little more :D .

On the other hand, my dealer is estimating $400 for labor, my next semester of college will be about $1200, and my dentist wants $300 to fill in my cavities. Decisions decisions.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Don't know how relevant this is, but I weigh about 200 lbs with my gear on, I lug around 25 lbs chains for security, and when going back to college I believe I'll be lugging around a 15-20 lbs backpack.

I believe you mentioned that you weigh about 150 lbs, so I'd probably have 100 lbs on you. I recall reading one of your posts mentioning an issue with the 50-70 mph accel?

I'm not sure if I should try to go for a lightweight bell clutch as well with a reinforced drive belt. Stock acceleration is pretty good for me right now in the 0-50 range. I also recall reading something about the twitchy response wearing the belt and killing mpg, though I'm not sure how my weight factors into that.

I was also looking at this:
http://japan.webike.net/products/21747111.html

Translation is a complete mess, but it sounds like I might have to change the fuel injection settings if I want to install this?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant wrote:

Translation is a complete mess, but it sounds like I might have to change the fuel injection settings if I want to install this?
No you wont,your efi will be fine with that but for that price it will give you f...all power increase. Just get yourself a variator for $65 shipped and it will make a huge improvement over what it is now. WirusWin has an interesting one with the lot supplied (no belt though)..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Pcxdemon wrote:
Valiant wrote:

No you wont,your efi will be fine with that but for that price it will give you f...all power increase. Just get yourself a variator for $65 shipped and it will make a huge improvement over what it is now. WirusWin has an interesting one with the lot supplied (no belt though)..
Not enough bang for the buck eh? Well, I think less bling might make my PCX look less appealing to potential thieves or vandals.

Seriously, some punk spit on my top box when I was away from it for 5 minutes. I suppose when everyone else rides a PoS Chinese moped, a 150cc scooter looks pretty badass o_O .

I ultimately went for the recommended NCY set, an aftermarket air filter(I'll have them cut off that plastic dowel thingy while I'm at it), and a Takegawa Silent Sport Oval(Silver). I also ordered the Daytona Reinforced drive belt, but don't plan on replacing it until I've got a few thousand miles(5,000 if I understood the manual correctly), or I start getting speed/accel issues.

Hopefully I'll have all the parts in 2 weeks time and can get it all done along with my 600 mile oil change.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Valiant wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:
Valiant wrote: I ultimately went for the recommended NCY set, an aftermarket air filter(I'll have them cut off that plastic dowel thingy while I'm at it), and a Takegawa Silent Sport Oval(Silver). I also ordered the Daytona Reinforced drive belt, but don't plan on replacing it until I've got a few thousand miles(5,000 if I understood the manual correctly), or I start getting speed/accel issues.

Hopefully I'll have all the parts in 2 weeks time and can get it all done along with my 600 mile oil change.
I like your aggressive lets get it done attitude Val. Dam them torpedo's, of course people are jealous but you can't go around feeling guilty for your good fortune in life. There will always be plenty of Indian's but few Chiefs.

If any spit your way take it as a badge of success! You can afford to undo anything they do.