Can't remove oil screen bolt

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Can't remove oil screen bolt

Post by SmellyTofu »

I'm doing an oil change right now but I can't for the life of me undo the filter bolt without further rounding the bolt. Any tips? So far I've used a small shifter and 17mm socket but both jump out. I'm about to use a pipe wrench but I know that'll eat the bolt before lunchtime.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Can't remove oil screen bolt

Post by homie »

SmellyTofu wrote:I'm doing an oil change right now but I can't for the life of me undo the filter bolt without further rounding the bolt. Any tips? So far I've used a small shifter and 17mm socket but both jump out. I'm about to use a pipe wrench but I know that'll eat the bolt before lunchtime.
Nothing in your profile indicates what vehicle you are working on, if it's Forza I got nothing - if it's PCX grind down the 6 sided socket face and go deeper onto the nut... 6 flat Socket is critical. There is a post somewhere about modifying the socket.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I agree with the original poster (op), the damn bolt is hard to remove. You're Not the only one that has had this problem >me< and others. There will be more. Member Alibally mentioned that the plugs "seal" is the culprit, as it makes for a tight(er) fit. Once off, he recommends adding a bit of oil on the seal before refitting it.

But for now, let's get back to getting the darn plug off! Here's a thread over in the "How To" section of the Technical board http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25
There are quite a few helpful ideas there. Of course, if anyone else has a "Get the Damn Plug Off" success tip, please chime in.
That plug slows down my whole oil change process (& I prefer Not to skip it). Otherwise, it's easy maintenance ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Mine was difficult as well , but it seemed that the spring was adding to the difficulty (first oil change on a 2015) .With each rotation , the spring would give resistance .
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

'88 BMW R100RT
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Here is one members solution ;)
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Sorry, I don't get it. It looks like a cut down socket. How will that fix it?

I'm going to try grind down the bolt a bit with the dremel and give that a go first. Still, I don't see the benefit of taking it out given the screen is like a sift that only metal chunks would get caught in it.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

If you take the chamfer off the socket it won't slip off the plug so easily as there is not that much for the socket to grip onto.
Renovatio
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Renovatio »

Always use the hex head so as not to damage the aluminum bolt. If the bolt head is already heavily damaged and become round, take a head with twelve facets but 1 millimeter smaller. For example, instead of the key 17, use key 16 and put her gently on the bolt with a hammer. There is another way, used to remove the secret nuts from cars wheels. Put a thick cloth on the bolt or working mittens, and beat gently on the head with a hammer until it is seated fully on the bolt. It is necessary that the head was very tight, then unscrew. If these methods don't help, wash the bolt head and the tool with gasoline and then smear Poxipol or other epoxy adhesive, and gather together, when dry. Unscrew all together and buy a new drain plug)
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

I like the ideas added by forum member "Renovatio". But if you decide to buy a new drain plug, give your dealer at least 7 days to have a new plug ordered. Most USA dealers don't keep many PCX parts in stock.
I have asked forum member "WhiteNoise" to find the perfect solution to this problem. WN is excellent at finding things online. The DIY Channel tv show "Cool Tools" always had a new wrench or socket or pliers guaranteed to remove a rounded bolt. Or guaranteed not to round-off the existing bolt. Maybe some of them are hype; but there must be something that works in a recessed area
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ha Ha!
I know Sears use to boast about "special" wrenches. Remember? You would see them on QVC or HSN and late night infomercial's. Awhile back I was interested in this particular one, but never bought it. I don't think it was "brought to you by" Sears. It's a Kobalt Magnum Grip.

Where there's one grip, there are many. Google lives here :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If this is common GY6 type oil screen, spring and hard to remove the first time cap.....these are commonly avail on ebay for a few bucks for the whole set with new gasket.
I keep a spare bag of these parts in case I have to destroy one getting it off.
I use silicon grease.ea. time no issues.
Fish
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

One of these universal sockets might work:
http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Grip-ETC-12 ... rip+socket

I got one for my bro-in-law a few years ago, but never got any feedback. If I can hold the thought, I'll ask him when I see him next week for Thanksgiving.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

@George, that is exactly what i was thinking of. I even read the 64 customer reviews about the socket. Most were very positive. A few mentioned that it did not quite live up to the hype. But there were several who referenced bolts similar to our oil cleaner strainer plugs that came off with this socket. It fits metric 7mm to 19mm.

I am getting this for WhiteNoise' next birthday.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

GeorgeSK wrote:One of these universal sockets might work:
http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Grip-ETC-12 ... rip+socket

I got one for my bro-in-law a few years ago, but never got any feedback. If I can hold the thought, I'll ask him when I see him next week for Thanksgiving.

Bought one many years ago, been useful on a few occasions.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

@ yak, NICE!! but....do I have to wait that long? :( Wait! Maybe you can toss one on Santa's sleigh for me as he leaves your place? Just a thought :D
I like that grip, I do! I do! 8)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

At least for my 2013 PCX 150 the GY6 type cap comes up as not compatible on the sites selling them and EBay so I forked out the $7 and change plus a few dollars shipping for an extra Honda OEM cap in case I have an issue. If anyone knows the GY6 kits will work for sure let us know and I will grab a Chinese one of them too.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

SECoda wrote:At least for my 2013 PCX 150 the GY6 type cap comes up as not compatible on the sites selling them and EBay so I forked out the $7 and change plus a few dollars shipping for an extra Honda OEM cap in case I have an issue. If anyone knows the GY6 kits will work for sure let us know and I will grab a Chinese one of them too.
Have found that a lot of ebay sellers have poor compatibility info....
My seller did not list my scooter either....but sure "looked" to be compatible....and turns out it was. So have new spring, cap and screen in the tool box.
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Cool - as cheap as there are with free shipping I will get one anyways. I have dealt with Chinese orings in the past with PCP airguns and am a bit leery there but these are not high pressure applications.