Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:Some other inconsistency is at work here. 1 gram can't make that much difference. Once you get your tach installed you will know better what the tunings are.
Are you feeling the rev limiter fade in and out or just coming up against the wind balancing the engine power.
Only mods which change the breathing of the engine such as intake or exhaust might need a battery reset. And it is questionable whether this really resets the adaptation values anyway.
1gx6=6g total...yes it makes a huge diff with mine.Say i tune it with 12g for 8k rpm and its a ripper then i increase to 13g,my rpm will drop to 7700rpm and it would just feel like its of the boil,lost that swiftness...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Pcxdemon wrote:1gx6=6g total...yes it makes a huge diff with mine. Say i tune it with 12g for 8k rpm and its a ripper then i increase to 13g, my rpm will drop to 7700rpm and it would just feel like its off the boil, lost that swiftness...
I don't pretend to know why, I will just say I agree that from 12g to 13 with my fat tires was very noticeable.

To sum this up the 2015 PCX150 with a NCY vario kit and 13g rollers is the antidote to big Michelin's. It's a perfect wash with the exception I expect to report some lesser mpg. For any just tuning in to be clear this thread was about the performance recovery from fat Michelins, if you want stats on 2015 PCX150 and NCY products with stock tires see scooterman.

here is what you will need to recover if you do big michellin's... about 150.00 after tax, you will be delighted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRc9g3Dasw
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Pcxdemon wrote:1gx6=6g total...yes it makes a huge diff with mine.Say i tune it with 12g for 8k rpm and its a ripper then i increase to 13g,my rpm will drop to 7700rpm and it would just feel like its of the boil,lost that swiftness...
Yeah but the weird thing is, he went heavier with the weights and felt it was faster.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

[/quote]
Yeah but the weird thing is, he went heavier with the weights and felt it was faster.[/quote]

That's what I'm puzzled by too. Waiting for either Homie or Vamootsman to get their tachs hooked up so we can get some results!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:peculiar... so what do you see here boys 8)

This reminded me of something I read a long time ago. That the NCY vario IS the factory part and the only difference is the coating which is actually to make the ramps slightly thicker for the rollers to push out further against.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote: Yeah but the weird thing is, he went heavier with the weights and felt it was faster.
Gentlemen it doesn't feel faster... it is faster LOL
I just came up on my select piece of road I film on (without cam taped to helmet) so you don't have to believe me yet ;) Goosed it as usual then was amazed to see my speedo drift over 67 which translates to 69mph on GPS. I was out of runway as the light was red but Shay wasn't done! Is it possible the parts are breaking in? I thought we were done and 65 top end. I marked the pulley's the last time I change to 13g's, I will pull the CVT cover and see how high the belt is riding.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

She knew you had lost faith in her for a moment but regained confidence in her so she is giving it her best now. :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

there will be no denying it now, if the belt is about to fly off the pulley I blame scooterman :lol: :lol: :lol:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:it is faster LOL
Which is the other weird thing. Just changing the weight of the rollers of the same brand shouldn't make any change in top speed at all. They are supposed to be exactly the same o.d. Only the rpm up to lockout at 50 mph will change. Being lower with the heavier rollers. And only a difference of a couple hundred rpm per gram.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Its official, I just hit 69mph again and buffed the vario pulley clean... the rear pulley still has the ink as if not touched at all. I'm I in a dangerous situation? I was ready for the belt to come off and lock up the rear at 70mph... advise please. Oh and yea you can run without the CVT cover 8)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I would probably throw the cover back on even if you leave out the couple of hard to reach bolts for the run from now on. It has the bearing which helps to support the rear drive assembly from flexing with the belt tension.
The area of interest on the rear pulleys is the inner circumference. If the belt runs out of travel in the back, it wouldn't matter what you try to do in front. But apparently there is always more travel in the back than the front as people have made claims of downhill runs at 80mph with various varios.
You still haven't told us if you are hitting the rev limiter with the power fading rhythmically in and out at top speed, or just coming into power balance against the wind.
You should be able to run the pulleys all the way up to top speed on the center stand to see where the belt goes and video it if you can prop up the camera and stand over the bike with the front brake on and hold it from falling off of the stand from the vibration.
The disappearing marker marks might make it look like the belt is completely riding up and out of the pulleys but there is a lot of vibration of the belt as it comes around the bottom and off which might wipe away more of the marks beyond where the belt is actually running. You should be able to really see the tell tale shine on the pulleys of where the belt is really running after a few dozen miles at top speed.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Don't run it on the stand. Remember, he's got a larger tire on there now. Not worth the risk. Sure, you could throw a 1x4 under the centerstand but rest assured it will rev out to 78mph on the stand with real life speed at 75-76mph
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:I would probably throw the cover back on even if you leave out the couple of hard to reach bolts for the run from now on. It has the bearing which helps to support the rear drive assembly from flexing with the belt tension. Oh that memo did not get to me in time, fortunately for me it ran great without it o_O
The area of interest on the rear pulleys is the inner circumference. If the belt runs out of travel in the back, it wouldn't matter what you try to do in front. But apparently there is always more travel in the back than the front as people have made claims of downhill runs at 80mph with various varios.
You still haven't told us if you are hitting the rev limiter with the power fading rhythmically in and out at top speed, or just coming into power balance against the wind. I will say the later because I get no sense the limiter is bucking, jetting, stalling or otherwise making itself known at top speed at all. I do remember what that feels like, it did that when it was less than 500 miles for a very short time.
You should be able to run the pulleys all the way up to top speed on the center stand to see where the belt goes and video it if you can prop up the camera and stand over the bike with the front brake on and hold it from falling off of the stand from the vibration. That's going to be scarier than go 70 with no cover :lol:
The disappearing marker marks might make it look like the belt is completely riding up and out of the pulleys but there is a lot of vibration of the belt as it comes around the bottom and off which might wipe away more of the marks beyond where the belt is actually running. You should be able to really see the tell tale shine on the pulleys of where the belt is really running after a few dozen miles at top speed.
I'm going to track my tachometer and think about making that file of a full throttle open CVT on a center stand. Who has done this?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:Don't run it on the stand. Remember, he's got a larger tire on there now. Not worth the risk. Sure, you could throw a 1x4 under the centerstand but rest assured it will rev out to 78mph on the stand with real life speed at 75-76mph
There you are 8) I don't want to do the C-stand blast off thing because my tire is soooooo close to the ground. Hey Scooterman I bet if I dropped the C-stand swapped out the battery and rode butt naked I could have taken you even with my big ass tires today :lol: :lol: :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Felt lucky and did it anyway... not sure what this does for you but it was BIG FUN for me! Not quite 78 on the speedo but with 2mph+ for actual speed with these tires... I'm with ya

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Where did you mount the tach?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Cool! Your oversize tire will give you another 3% speedo error so you can theoretically hit 79 mph actual on a big down hill now.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:Where did you mount the tach?
has not arrives yet
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Well when my Forza arrives (dealer should have recall fuel pump replacement on Monday) and if the wife lets me keep the PCX too, :lol: I will add those NCY parts I have sitting in the drawer since I have something to ride if I screw it up. ;)

My local service manager at Honda is anxious to see how they do too. If I get 75-76 mph on my 2013 I will be happy that now revs out at about 67-68 w/o sacrificing too much acceleration if any.