Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Post by dasshreddar »

ScooterMan wrote:
Is this airbox the same part you recommended I cut off?[/quote]

Not cut off, but you can remove the outer snorkel and removed the "cheese grater" & screen behind the air filter. I may experiment with cutting additional holes in the airbox or drilling holes near the existing opening at the front of the airbox.

Anyway, I'm going to drive with the airbox on for now and see if I feel any difference from running the pod filter. That reminds me, I've been meaning to price the airbox lid in case I don't like the holes I cut in it![/quote]

Sounds like you need some peanut butter my friend... :? :lol:
Make your own "airbox" to shut up that loud pod.
A small peanut butter jar works perfect and is WAY lighter than the stock airbox.
Attachments
airpod.jpg
airpod.jpg (197.74 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote:
ScooterMan wrote:
Is this airbox the same part you recommended I cut off?
Not cut off, but you can remove the outer snorkel and removed the "cheese grater" & screen behind the air filter. I may experiment with cutting additional holes in the airbox or drilling holes near the existing opening at the front of the airbox.

Anyway, I'm going to drive with the airbox on for now and see if I feel any difference from running the pod filter. That reminds me, I've been meaning to price the airbox lid in case I don't like the holes I cut in it![/quote]

Sounds like you need some peanut butter my friend... :? :lol:
Make your own "airbox" to shut up that loud pod.
A small peanut butter jar works perfect and is WAY lighter than the stock airbox.[/quote]

Classy. Have you been at the rear mudguard with a soldering iron? And the front splash guard looks like recycled packaging. A peanut jar you say? You are making the Honda engineers look the dicks that they clearly are.

They should fall on their swords. Unless they've made them out of recycled packaging...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

So behind that green thing then?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You guys do realize this snorkel is helping you keep water off your filter right. In the poring rain, at the car wash etc.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

People wash their PCX at a car wash? o.O
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Valiant wrote:People wash their PCX at a car wash? o.O
No, No I don't... but I think Honda thinks we do thus the snorkel.
Shay likes a sprinkle sponge bath and shammy dry, then a slow Turtle Wax ICE message :lol:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

My filter has been in for 17,000 miles with no snorkel so it's probably time to take a peek and see if it ever got anything like wet.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

How do you guys get your pics in your posts? I have only been able to put a link in. I will take a picture of my pod mounted inside the the airbox tomorrow if you tell me how to do a pic in post. Its a little louder than stock but not even remotely louder than any other bike I've heard out on the streets.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

vamootsman wrote:How do you guys get your pics in your posts? I have only been able to put a link in. I will take a picture of my pod mounted inside the the airbox tomorrow if you tell me how to do a pic in post. Its a little louder than stock but not even remotely louder than any other bike I've heard out on the streets.
you mean how to post a video in the forum?
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

Just a pic. If you look at my posts, they are all links with no actual pic in the post. Video would be great too, but I'm simple so I'd be happy to start with pics.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:My filter has been in for 17,000 miles with no snorkel so it's probably time to take a peek and see if it ever got anything like wet.
Considering where the "air grate" is positioned, it would be very doubtful unless you're riding in a hurricane, which I occasionally have the opportunity to do, but I figure that's a little too much excitement for me :D .

So both the snorkel(that black plastic tube I assume) and the cheese grate thing have to go in order to increase the air flow to the engine?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote:cheese grate
The metal on the back of the air filter is structural to keep the paper element from getting sucked in. I wouldn't mess with that. This air filter is so huge for the size of this tiny engine that changing it makes little sense.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:
The metal on the back of the air filter is structural to keep the paper element from getting sucked in. I wouldn't mess with that. This air filter is so huge for the size of this tiny engine that changing it makes little sense.

Eggsbloodysactly
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

sendler2112 wrote:
No way that element is getting sucked in. Been running it without the "cheese grater" on all 3 of my PCX150's with no problems. Could be there to further reduce intake noise, but my guess is that it's there in case the paper element were to get wet, & decay over years of non service & use and paper chunks get sucked into the motor. Someone who takes care of their bike, doesn't wash their scooter with the airbox panel off and hose down their filter element with water should be fine.

I'll leave it up to the butt dyno if it makes a diff. taking out the snorkel and the screen def help...and I drilled a couple more holes in the airbox making virtually no diff in additional sound just in case my scoot was starving for air with the new exhaust on it. The scoot wheelies quite easily now. So, I'm a believer. I know, not scientific..but it's all I got. Certain things are just over-engineered, and that filter is not going to get sucked into the motor unless it was 20 years old and in the harshest of environments.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Ultimately, if you live in the sticks with no freeways and don't intend to drive over 65mph, then none of these mods are for you. If you want to go faster, encounter hills, carry a passenger up hills, are a heavy rider, etc...then you'll want to start messing with the scoot to cozx whatever you can out of it.

I'll admit that I was wrong on the pod filter and Sendler was right. A pod filter is NOT a velocity stack. The bell shape and even slight differences in length make a difference. I unfortunately took someone else's word that a pod filter worked for them, and I wanted to believe mine was working but I noticed that at least low end, my scooter wasn't launching/wheelieing as easily from a start.

I will stick by the snorkel removal and because I can't see the paper element ever getting sucked into the intake, I'll stand by that too. Added restrictions can only hurt performance, and it's way too easy to remove the screen behind the air filter. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
abcdarko
Year: 2017 Forza 125
Color: Grey Black

Post by abcdarko »

Can someone tell if ther eis a smaller alternative ot OEM size, like 100-110 that wil add to both tires 1/2" width? I am not looking into pimpin' but just slight visual +
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Thanks guys, this has been an interesting blog. Guess I might have to get the NCY variator assembly if I wish to drive highways at less than WOT. About 10 mph more eh? I'd rather go 60 mph at 8K than at 9.6K rpm. Other mods I can't see just now.
Y'all are very helpful with these posts.
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeeGusKahn »

abcdarko wrote:Can someone tell if ther eis a smaller alternative ot OEM size, like 100-110 that wil add to both tires 1/2" width? I am not looking into pimpin' but just slight visual +
Don't know about a front tire

but for the rear there is a Michelin city grip 110/80-14
Sean, who loves Hi-Vis everything.
2013 Red PCX150 - NCY V and DF, 11 g rollers, stock OEM belt.
2006 Wht. Burgman 650, 30,000+ miles, running like a champ..
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

Post by PCX2016 »

I know this thread is old, but with great information! Something I was wondering and nobody mentioned actually using a wider rim. all of these tyre changes (bigger and wider) are on the stock rim? Mine is 2016
American in Cambodia !!!
jojo
Year: 125 2012
Color: white

Post by jojo »

I wrote 8 pages about installed Michelin tyres, but found nothing about rims. Can anybody tell about rim sizes for michelin fat tires? I have 125 pcx, my friend 150 pcx led . We are looking for an upgrade stock tires
without changing the stock rims. What maximum size we can install?