Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Post by sendler2112 »

The NCY variator might be different than the stock vario. Who has experience with that unit here? You will want to pull at about 8,000 rpm. The contra spring makes a difference also. The added gearing from the bigger tires can make a difference also so you may have to go 10% lighter than you would have with the stock tires. I run 12gm sliders in my stock 2013 PCX150 and it pulls at 8,000.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:The NCY variator might be different than the stock vario. Who has experience with that unit here? You will want to pull at about 8,000 rpm. The contra spring makes a difference also. The added gearing from the bigger tires can make a difference also so you may have to go 10% lighter than you would have with the stock tires. I run 12gm sliders in my stock 2013 PCX150 and it pulls at 8,000.
Oh thanks for reminding me! I haven't received the tachometer I ordered. As for who has experience there is only one with 2015 PCX and NCY parts... scooterman 8)
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

homie wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:The NCY variator might be different than the stock vario. Who has experience with that unit here? You will want to pull at about 8,000 rpm. The contra spring makes a difference also. The added gearing from the bigger tires can make a difference also so you may have to go 10% lighter than you would have with the stock tires. I run 12gm sliders in my stock 2013 PCX150 and it pulls at 8,000.
Oh thanks for reminding me! I haven't received the tachometer I ordered. As for who has experience there is only one with 2015 PCX and NCY parts... scooterman 8)
There are a few others with the NCY parts, I may just be the only one with a 2015 with them though. Managed to hit 77mph on my 2015 today for a brief moment downhill...but normally it's hitting the limiter at 75.5mph.

I'm prob going to order up the NCY 12g sliders and throw them in the NCY vario and see what happens. Some say it doesn't work well together. If not, I can pull them out and sell them on the forum here for a small loss, so not too worried. Hoping to get another few MPH top speed out of the sliders though.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

ScooterMan wrote:I'm prob going to order up the NCY 12g sliders and throw them in the NCY vario and see what happens. Some say it doesn't work well together. If not, I can pull them out and sell them on the forum here for a small loss, so not too worried. Hoping to get another few MPH top speed out of the sliders though.
Only if there is untouched metal on the outer rim of the vario.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Tach will be here in a couple days as it just shipped. I'm sure I can make sense of the installation instruction from broken English but how is it used to help me tune the variator? Here is another dumb question, why didn't we keep the stock parts and just change rollers first to get me back up to speed?
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

sendler2112 wrote:
ScooterMan wrote:I'm prob going to order up the NCY 12g sliders and throw them in the NCY vario and see what happens. Some say it doesn't work well together. If not, I can pull them out and sell them on the forum here for a small loss, so not too worried. Hoping to get another few MPH top speed out of the sliders though.
Only if there is untouched metal on the outer rim of the vario.
Yeah, I guess I can hit the vario with some perm marker to see.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

homie wrote:Tach will be here in a couple days as it just shipped. I'm sure I can make sense of the installation instruction from broken English but how is it used to help me tune the variator? Here is another dumb question, why didn't we keep the stock parts and just change rollers first to get me back up to speed?
AFAIK, the tach just clips/wraps around the spark plug wire. When going WOT, you should see 8k RPM as you accelerate. Any less go lighter rollers, any higher, go heavier. the sweet spot should be around 12-13g weights.

The stock vario has ramps that end abruptly that don't allow full expansion of the vario. Some will bust out a file and sandpaper and spend a few loving hours on it. Others will just purchase a proper aftermarket unit. =)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:Tach will be here in a couple days as it just shipped. I'm sure I can make sense of the installation instruction from broken English but how is it used to help me tune the variator? Here is another dumb question, why didn't we keep the stock parts and just change rollers first to get me back up to speed?
The tach is useful so that you know the rpm. Choose the weights that give you 8,000 rpm at full throttle from 30-50mph. You can change weights in the stock variator if they are the same external dimensions.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

ScooterMan wrote:Yeah, I guess I can hit the vario with some perm marker to see.
You should be able to see a different shine on the metal where the belt has never touched if there is any. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCY wasn't already getting full travel since that is how it can provide longer gearing than the stock vario. You don't want any part of the belt to ride over the top at any time.
You are getting good results right now so I would just leave it until you start to get some wear on the rollers and then try the sliders.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Thanks you two, opening it up today. I will mark the upper edge of the new Teflon part with dry erase and start with 12gm rollers while I'm waiting for the tachometer to arrive.
Any last minute tips like using lock tight or keeping the belt from pinching on reassembly, any torque numbers on the Jesus nut?
That's what we called the big nut on top of the rotor with helicopters in the service... because if it came off :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRc9g3Dasw
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

No loctite needed. You won't pinch the belt on reassembly. You will want to try to separate the bell on the back and squeeze the belt down between the halves a bit so you can get the front drive face on easier. Also, you will need to remove the lower white plastic boby panel that runs along the side/bottom of the scooter in order to gain access. I've seen someone post you can remove the trans cover without taking the body panel off, but I don't see how. Taking the body panel off is a 3 -5 minute affair for me now since i've done it so often. May take you 3 times that long the first time just being careful. There is a plastic snap-fastener uner the scooter on the bottom. Don't forget about that. I tugged for a while the first time before I found that.

I can't tell you about the Bhudda nut, just get it tight, but not too tight. If I had to guess, maybe 70lb ft?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:I will mark the upper edge of the new Teflon part with dry erase and start with 12gm rollers
The area to take note of is the vario face, not the roller ramps. You will see on the stock vario with some miles on it that the face has virgin metal at the outer (and inner) that the belt has never touched. The stock rollers are certainly all the way out and that is as far as it goes. Installing sliders in the stock vario gives a bit more travel in the ramps at which point the pulley halves become the limit when they touch. This can be filed away as is described in the "maximizing your sliders" thread to get the belt all the way out. The NCY must be maximized already as it is giving a higher downhill top speed even still than a slider modified original vario.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Understood... and here is a tip for 2015 owners concerning removing the side cover. Is there a better way to remove trim clips?

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I have a 1/4" swivel socket that gets the drive covers right off without messing with any bodywork. And dont' have to mess with the rear pulleys either. when you tighten up the vario, go slowly by hand and let the engine rotate also as you ease the pulley closed again to let the belt find it's way back in.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:I have a 1/4" swivel socket that gets the drive covers right off without messing with any bodywork. And dont' have to mess with the rear pulleys either. when you tighten up the vario, go slowly by hand and let the engine rotate also as you ease the pulley closed again to let the belt find it's way back in.
Understood... don't use the impact wrench to retighten the variator nut, got it.
I have to get used to panel removal anyway for the up coming valve clearance job so I might as well do it the hard way this time :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

peculiar... so what do you see here boys 8)

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Hold them up back to back. The NCY almost looks smaller when to go faster it must be at least as big. Also to go faster, something has to be tighter in the dimension of the ramps to let the rollers push the vario farther. Or maybe the NCY rollers are slightly bigger in diameter so they push farther.
You can tap tap tap with the impact for the final tightening of the nut if you have good feel for the trigger. If you tighten it down and keep holding it full blast, it might rip out the threads and you will need a new crankshaft. You would need some kind of counter holding tool to tighten it by hand. I use the impact.
now you can see how much unused travel there is at both edges of the stock pulley. My bike has 16,000 miles on it so there is quite a ridge at the untouched metal.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:Hold them up back to back. The NCY almost looks smaller when to go faster it must be at least as big. Also to go faster, something has to be tighter in the dimension of the ramps to let the rollers push the vario farther. Or maybe the NCY rollers are slightly bigger in diameter so they push farther.
You can tap tap tap with the impact for the final tightening of the nut if you have good feel for the trigger. If you tighten it down and keep holding it full blast, it might rip out the threads and you will need a new crankshaft. You would need some kind of counter holding tool to tighten it by hand. I use the impact.
now you can see how much unused travel there is at both edges of the stock pulley. My bike has 16,000 miles on it so there is quite a ridge at the untouched metal.
Roger that, unseen differences to the layman. Yes I do follow about the virgin ring on the faces and I get how this is potential speed and performance untapped. Quick question about lubrication, there seems to be little or none and I want to put ever so thin coat of marine grease on the one bearing race only. SM states wiping off any dirt or grease on faces and rollers and I certainly get that... any thoughts on lubrication in this area?

Homie tip: switch to side stand to keep the rollers in place when reinstalling LOL
Last edited by homie on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

No results yet? Get with it homie!

The stock variator ramps really ramp up at the end and don't allow the weights to get all the way to the edges. The angle on the drive face must be different, but can't tell by the naked eye. I know that with just the vario, I only gained 4-5mph. With the drive face added, I gained 6mph more. Both together gave me 10-11mph more.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I wouldn't lube it...not supposed to be lubed.