Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Post by ScooterMan »

SECoda wrote:Well when my Forza arrives (dealer should have recall fuel pump replacement on Monday) and if the wife lets me keep the PCX too, :lol: I will add those NCY parts I have sitting in the drawer since I have something to ride if I screw it up. ;)

My local service manager at Honda is anxious to see how they do too. If I get 75-76 mph on my 2013 I will be happy that now revs out at about 67-68 w/o sacrificing too much acceleration if any.
You will get at least 77mph with a new belt on a 2013.

And just to reiterate, you can see in Homie's video of the variator the differences if you look where the ramps. The ramp ends earlier on the OEM vario than the NCY. You can see this in the thickness of the metal at the end of the ramp.

Grat job Homie. Mine also hit 78-78.5mph on the stand, but on the road 75mph. As Sendler2112 said though, your larger rear tire will give you an actual speed a couple mph higher provided conditions are right. Secoda, your 2013 will go 2-3mph faster with the NCY parts than the 2015 due to a different final drive gear.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Cool. I have a new belt in the drawer too. :lol:
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

ScooterMan wrote:
Yeah but the weird thing is, he went heavier with the weights and felt it was faster.[/quote]

That's what I'm puzzled by too. Waiting for either Homie or Vamootsman to get their tachs hooked up so we can get some results![/quote]

FWIW, I put the NCY Variator and face plate on my 2013 150, then progressively lightened the rollers down to 12.5gr. It was good but still not as much acceel and top end as I was looking for (which may be a reach without some enging mods), so Scooterman and I put the Silent Oval exhausts on, which was the next logical step for me. I didn't have a tach on yet, but had an easier time getting the scoot to and maintaining 65mph after the exhaust install on my normal cruising routes. Between all of that and the filter swap I did, I have the the scoot pulling hard at all speeds around 7900 to 8200 rpms. (tach installed of course). Depending on the wind, 60 to 65 is as good as it gets without some good and creative drafting. Yeah I can hit 76 going downhill and bounce off the rev limiter, but BFD!. There's nothing left there. Not complaining, just finding where the real and useable limits/ranges are, without any starry eyed hopefulness. Love the scoot like I loved my first bicycle and can't wait for spring!

Tonight I cruised home from Iowa City with a 15-25 mph tail wind and averaged 73 mph to the Quad Cities. Not bad with my tall screen and Givi E370 on the tail.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

vamootsman wrote:Tonight I cruised home from Iowa City with a 15-25 mph tail wind and averaged 73 mph to the Quad Cities. Not bad with my tall screen and Givi E370 on the tail.
Right down route 80? It must be tough to keep up headed back the other way with the wind in your face. I occasionally have a need to ride on the interstate highway and it is frustrating to have one big truck after the other crawl past you at 68 mph and not quite be able to stay in their draft while hitting the rev limiter so the faster variator is my next purchase. A Vetter style tail/ trunk would do wonders on the PCX also. The Daytona vario is really big but but availability and documentation on how to implement it is scarce. It may require a longer belt to get the most out of it. Scooterworks stocks the NCY parts in the USA.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I wish Honda or other manufacturers would use some benchmarks when considering the size/weight/engine size of these things.

Like, the ability to maintain 70mph up a 4% grade with a 10mph headwind for a 160lb rider or whatever the metric is.

Only way my PCX could do that is with a 110lb rider in a full tuck!

I guess we have to face the fact that unless you are freakishly small/lighweight, the PCX is always going to be a little frustrating. GOod news is, it should be motivation for us all to stay trim and in shape in order to get the most out of our scooters!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:I wish Honda or other manufacturers would use some benchmarks when considering the size/weight/engine size of these things.
I don't think they made the PCX for us ;) WHERE IS MY TACH! it's on a slow boat from CHINAAAAAAAA
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

ScooterMan wrote:manufacturers would use some benchmarks
The PCX150 is already beyond the original benchmark and is pretty much as far as Honda could go with the original engine design which was (and still is in those countries) intended for Euro A1 licensing. Which is limited to 125cc and speed limited (by the design of the variator and then the selected rev limit) to 100 kph/ 62 mph.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Well, then we all gotta go on a diet. I can get down to 145lbs at the lightest...currently 153lbs. That should help a bit!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

An aerodynamic tail trunk would help a lot over 60 mph. And is very practical for carrying groceries or gear for out of town travel.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

sendler2112 wrote:
vamootsman wrote:Tonight I cruised home from Iowa City with a 15-25 mph tail wind and averaged 73 mph to the Quad Cities. Not bad with my tall screen and Givi E370 on the tail.
Right down route 80? It must be tough to keep up headed back the other way with the wind in your face. I occasionally have a need to ride on the interstate highway and it is frustrating to have one big truck after the other crawl past you at 68 mph and not quite be able to stay in their draft while hitting the rev limiter so the faster variator is my next purchase. A Vetter style tail/ trunk would do wonders on the PCX also. The Daytona vario is really big but but availability and documentation on how to implement it is scarce. It may require a longer belt to get the most out of it. Scooterworks stocks the NCY parts in the USA.
Yeah right down 80. On the way there I averaged 60mph at WOT all the way, and couldn't have done that without drafting like crazy.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sendler, I love it! Crazy :lol:
Waterproof? Cut a slot in the rear and make it a door to door winter month mail carrier.
Hey! They carry pizza don't they? And God knows what else! :roll:

Any snow coming you're way yet? (What an awful topic. Sorry.)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

He carries mostly batteries and chargers. That is the bike that did the first ever electric Iron Butt 1000 miles in 24 hours. And averaged 280 mpgE while blasting down the highway at 75 mph. The other guys with Vetter tails carry anything you would otherwise toss in your car such as groceries or baggage for out of town trips. And get over 100 mpg on their Ninja250's on the highway.
http://www.craigvetter.com/
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Tachometer held up at USPO... closed today to celebrate our most valued hero's. As it should be :)
Tomorrow this continues as the finally to putting oversized Michelin's on a 2015 PCX150 and how it sets in motion the mods, parts and gear needed to get you back up to speed. I would like to know exactly what you guys expect to see in video with the Tachometer installed LOL because I don't know what I'm looking to learn from this gear and what needs to be done (if anything) after I understand what its telling me.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

When you gun it from a stop the rpm will rise until it gets to the point where the weights are balancing the spring and the torque slot. At which point it will tend to stay at one rpm throughout the run even though the scooter keeps going faster and faster until the weights are all the way out with the belt at the outer edge of the variator. Then speed and rpm rise together. Set your weights so the rpms at the long plateau in the middle of the run are about 8,000 for the full throttle acceleration.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:Set your weights so the rpms at the long plateau in the middle of the run are about 8,000 for the full throttle acceleration.
on stand or motion action? the only adjustment is roller weights?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

While riding of course.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:While riding of course.
Sorry :lol: :lol: :lol: computer hardware, software, and other small electronics are my forte. The simplest motorhead stuff like a tachometer just doesn't seem to register on the trill meter, but I've tried to stay focused... I have done that... so far.
Well there was that minimal oversight of driving the PCX 70mph without the CVT support bearing... but I'm still alive! WOOT! :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:While riding of course.

Whilst. :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Tack is here and installed... 25 degrees so homie is not up for a sickle ride :D Whilst I wait for a heat wave is 850 RPM a typical idle speed?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

homie wrote:Tack is here and installed... 25 degrees so homie is not up for a sickle ride :D Whilst I wait for a heat wave is 850 RPM a typical idle speed?
Mine has always been at 1700rpm idle..