Acceleration ONLY! PCX 150 2013

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

CaliCal
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Acceleration ONLY! PCX 150 2013

Post by CaliCal »

Really glad I stumbled upon this message board. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to want my scooter to go faster, but I realized theres a bunch of enthusiasts on here, which is awesome!

I've spent more time on here reading than I do with my girlfriend and there seems to be a lots of good info on here but its focused on many different things. I wanted to start a thread that only focuses on acceleration since I do mostly city and neighborhood driving.

Simple question..........I have a stock PCX 150 2013. What are the top 3 things I should do for increased acceleration. From what I've read it seems like the standard intake and exhaust upgrades wont do much :( . Would 11g rollers be the best, and most efficient, and sadly only modification worth it doing? I'm looking for most bang for my buck and don't care about top speed!

Acceleration is KING!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Acceleration ONLY! PCX 150 2013

Post by SECoda »

So you are will to slow it down from the stock 67-68 mph to gain acceleration? That should be somewhat easy.

I just put a deposit on a Forza to add to both (acceleration and top speed) a bit.
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Yes SECoda, I'm willing to sacrifice as much top speed as possible (and a little on fuel economy) for amazing acceleration.

To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone should be trying to get more top speed out of this thing. Its freakin scooter man! But, everyone likes different things so who am I to judge.....just be careful guys!

Any acceleration only tips??

Dont they make a turbo for the PCX??
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

You can probably find the right CVT parts to trade acceleration for speed w/o any other mods. The NCY stuff seems good quality and reasonably priced but I am not the expert on it. At some point I would think there will be a bit more belt wear with increased acceleration but belts are inexpensive.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

CaliCal...what part of CA are you in?

NCY variator and drive face would be a good start for $90. And you really don't need to give up top speed at all. Run some 12 or 13G NCY 20x15mm rollers for $20. Since you seem to want accel more than anything, I'd go 12g (I run 13G).

I'm in San Diego.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Two simple mods that can add 7% power are to remove the snorkel in the air box and drill the exhaust.
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Great tips guys, thanks!

Sendler - instead of doing that would it worth it to get a K&N pod filter and a new exhaust? Seems like doing this wouldnt be a huge gain.

Scooterman - Im in LA.....we live in the best area for scooter riding! Could I get away with just getting the rollers and keeping the rest stock?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Just change to 12gm DrPulley sliders and ride the thing.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Yeah, rollers will have the biggest effect. Remve the snorkel in the airbox though...takes 5 mins. 12G sliders would be a great start and prob great finish to your acceleration quest.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I'm going to step into the role of the grumpy old man here, because someone has to. I'm only going down this road because you mention bang for your buck in your post.

This is a good point...

Take a relatively slow vehicle. A 150cc scooter, perhaps. Baseline time from 0-40 mph is value "x". Ok.

Now, let's say you were able to improve the acceleration from "x" seconds 0-40 by 10%. x-10% is the new 0-40 time.

Keeping in mind that value "x", before the 10% improvement, is by no means fast. Let's say for the sake of discussion, "x" 0-40 time is mediocre.

The question to ask yourself is, how much money am I willing to spend, that I could spend on other fun things, to make "x" into x-10%. 10% better than mediocre.

Another analogy.

Let's say I like growing my own bananas in my back yard. I live in Kansas. Kansas is not even close to the optimal place to grow bananas. I have two choices. I can spend money and time trying to improve my banana crop in Kansas. Or, I can move to the tropics and have 10x the banana harvest with 1/10th the effort.

With all due respect, my two cents is to embrace what the PCX is, and don't try to make it into something it's not. It's futile, and a waste of your resources.

At the very least, don't spend much money on PCX performance. The gain is not proportional to the expense. Instead, stick that money in the bank for your next bike or scooter that does what you really want it to do, where the PCX is lacking.
'88 BMW R100RT
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

CaliCal wrote:Really I've spent more time on here reading than I do with my girlfriend
Acceleration is KING!
so can I entertain your girlfriend whilst you boys sort this out?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

kcpcx wrote:I'm going to step into the role of the grumpy old man here, because someone has to. I'm only going down this road because you mention bang for your buck in your post.

This is a good point...

Take a relatively slow vehicle. A 150cc scooter, perhaps. Baseline time from 0-40 mph is value "x". Ok.

Now, let's say you were able to improve the acceleration from "x" seconds 0-40 by 10%. x-10% is the new 0-40 time.

Keeping in mind that value "x", before the 10% improvement, is by no means fast. Let's say for the sake of discussion, "x" 0-40 time is mediocre.

The question to ask yourself is, how much money am I willing to spend, that I could spend on other fun things, to make "x" into x-10%. 10% better than mediocre.

Another analogy.

Let's say I like growing my own bananas in my back yard. I live in Kansas. Kansas is not even close to the optimal place to grow bananas. I have two choices. I can spend money and time trying to improve my banana crop in Kansas. Or, I can move to the tropics and have 10x the banana harvest with 1/10th the effort.

With all due respect, my two cents is to embrace what the PCX is, and don't try to make it into something it's not. It's futile, and a waste of your resources.

At the very least, don't spend much money on PCX performance. The gain is not proportional to the expense. Instead, stick that money in the bank for your next bike or scooter that does what you really want it to do, where the PCX is lacking.

Have you got a link for these bananas?
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

'88 BMW R100RT
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Nothing wrong with optimizing the bike for better accel. Often times, it's some kooky decibel restriction that really screws it up for motorcycles. So, tuning the roller weight is a great idea. Also the exhaust can help a bit (but be a lot more pricey and have some negatives, like being louder). Intake is easy enough to do. Remove the snorkel of coure, and also take a razor glade and shave the 4 plastic "buttons" holding the metal cheese grater and screen on the backside of the air filter and remove that.

Also, lightening up the scoot by swapping out the OEM battery for a Li Ion battery will save about 3.25lbs on a 2013, Centerstand removal another 2.75lbs. Its not much, but willmake a slight improvement. Plus, the centerstand is the first thing to drag on left hand corners.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:Plus, the centerstand is the first thing to drag on left hand corners.
The second thing is your butt on the ground I'm betting :lol:
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

sendler2112 wrote:Just change to 12gm DrPulley sliders and ride the thing.
I agree (worked for me...for awhile :lol: ). Try this mod first, and then go from there if you want more.
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Great tips gentlemen, keep them coming and thank you!

I just ordered the dr pulley 12gram sliders. Cant wait to install. Is there a youtube clip you guys like to use as a guide?

Scooterman - when you say remove the snorkel...I am a bit confused. Doesnt the snorkel connect the airbox and filter to the intake on the engine? If I remove the snorkel wont the airbox be pointless? I like your idea on getting rid of the cheese grate piece. Not sure the weight reducing mods would be worth it since I dont weigh that much as it is. How familiar are you with drilling the air holes in the exhaust as one poster mentioned?

Grump old man - your comments make a great points and were well taken. In my case, the PCX IS everything that I would want in a bike. Fun, sporty, cheap (both cost for bike and gas), I'm able to store groceries in the seat, get around town easily, etc.....except its just a tad slow on the acceleration. So instead of buying something faster that doesnt do ALL of the other amazing things I like about the PCX, Im just trying to scratch that itch of making it just a little faster :). Some say something about a turbo?? :D
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I must be riding very reservedly to not be dragging the center stand on the ground (and glad I'm not angled that close to the ground as I don't trust the tyres to grip).
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

CaliCal wrote:when you say remove the snorkel
The snorkel is the tube at the inlet of the air box. It is used for noise suppression and slides right out.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:
CaliCal wrote:when you say remove the snorkel
The snorkel is the tube at the inlet of the air box. It is used for noise suppression and slides right out.
this is interesting, now see how a picture is worth a thousand of you guys talking... 8) good to know