Tuning the Forza 300 CVT

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your Forza. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

CamboForza
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Tuning the Forza 300 CVT

Post by CamboForza »

Yeah, I felt I lost some top speed with the 17g, but the 19g I can still get 140-145km/h indicated on the speedo.
That's what I got with standard rollers.
I can't remember exactly how fast the 17g went as they were only in for a short while.
I'm about to do a service, so I'll pull them out and check their condition.
Honda Forza 300
YSS Front and Rear Upgrade
19 Gram Sliders
mtnbiker5
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by mtnbiker5 »

Hey all
belt finally went on my 2014 Forza 300, and since I do long highway rides i ordered the Malossi Kevlar belt..
I also installed the Malossi Variator kit that came with 12g rollers... i mean since I had it apart
insane acceleration.. just crazy.. but I ride long rides 65-80 mph but being in Sothern California also a lot of mountains..
rpms at high speeds are 7500+ too high and killing my mileage...so I have the stock rollers 21g, and some new 18g rollers

thoughts from you pros......
just reinstall the 21g stock? do a mix of 3x18g and 3x21g? or mix with the 12g?
i know we can swap in and out as needed to dial it in but where to start..

love my acceleration but not loving the top end RPM and really crappy mileage
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by Austins »

What is your top speed with Malossi kit...!? I assume this has both variator front plates with 12g rollers...?

I put 3x17g (from Xmax OEM) with 3x21g original, average 19g, a bit better on acceleration but lost about 4 or 5kph on top speed....(all else original)
mtnbiker5

Post by mtnbiker5 »

it feels like I can still do like 85 mph, but only on the downhill.. flats I'm reluctant to go 75 because of the mileage suck above 7000 rpm and the power just creeps as you near top end

basically 7000 rpm is about 67 mph, 7500rpm is about 75pmh. mileage has gone from 62-64 mpg to 56-59mpg.. again almost 2 lane old highway network (55-75 mph with good stretches of 65-80 mph
Love the accleration but hate the top end and rpms at freeway speed

also I should mention that I am 6'1" and 200 lbs
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

When I had all 6x21g original rollers I could do 85mph (~138kph), then at that speed on the flat I was at 8200rpm...

No with 3x17g and 3x21g I can only go to ~135kph but I'm at 8500rpm...

I don't think my bike has more power to push RPM any further. I'm kind of content, of course you always want a bit more, but any more and I probably get myself killed ...! lol

I never go continuously at these speed, just for testing or overtaking etc. , I normally go 100-110kph (62-68mph)...

I think your RPM is not too bad at those speeds, but can't you get to 85mph on the flat...!? of course the faster you go the more gas consumed, it's not a big concern for me though, generally Forza is much better economically than a cars anyway...

I wanted to know your top speed with that setup on the flat, see how fast you can go and at what RPM, it's just for a few minutes, not cost a lot of gas...:-)

PS. I'm a bit lighter , 160lb on a good day...!
mtnbiker5

Post by mtnbiker5 »

ahh ok I'll check on the ride back to San Diego.. just was trying to keep the rpms down...lol
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Austins wrote:When I had all 6x21g original rollers I could do 85mph (~138kph), then at that speed on the flat I was at 8200rpm...

No with 3x17g and 3x21g I can only go to ~135kph but I'm at 8500rpm...
:o With changing your rollers you knocked of 3 km/h top speed and raised your RPM's by 300 o_O , why would you want to have less top speed and more RPM's this only raises the fuel consumption :? , you're using more gas with 135 km/h @ 8500 RPM than with 138 km/h @ 8200 RPM ;)
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

@Old Scoot I gained more acceleration instead, on the hills here it comes handy... I hardly ever driver at 135kph, mostly 100kph... I'm not concerned with slight loss of fuel consumption, it's really nothing in the big scale of things...

I wish I could get more acceleration and top speed, but it's a trade off..., can't have both...
mtnbiker5

Post by mtnbiker5 »

Austins wrote:@Old Scoot I gained more acceleration instead, on the hills here it comes handy... I hardly ever driver at 135kph, mostly 100kph... I'm not concerned with slight loss of fuel consumption, it's really nothing in the big scale of things...

I wish I could get more acceleration and top speed, but it's a trade off..., can't have both...
yes Old Scoot, acceleration 0-60 was probably cut in half and much more responsive.. until you get to top end
and i do a lot of riding at 70mph.. so its a fine line mix for me.. I'll probably try 3-4 combinations
dank_nipples
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by dank_nipples »

I recently switched to 19g sliders and 16g rollers and I’ve lost a lot of top end. With the OEM rollers I redlined around 80-85 MPH but now I redline before I hit 75 MPH. What did I do wrong? What can I do to lower the revs at 75MPH? I assume I’d have to sacrifice low end speed off the line but I’m OK with that.
2014 NSS300A
1984 CH125
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

It goes without saying that the selections that Honda makes on rollers is a best case middle of the road scenario. And in general, it’s about the best choice. All you are doing when you put in new rollers or sliders is moving the power band up or down a few hundred RPM that affects either the low end, or the high end, you can’t have both. In the three bikes I’ve had that have variators, I have always lowered the rollers 1 or 2 g from stock, to give me a little bit better off the line and not affect the top end. You start messing with combinations and radical changes, and the bike just isn’t as good because you lose power somewhere, either lower or higher.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
dank_nipples
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by dank_nipples »

I’m wondering if I go with like 22/23g sliders and 18/19g rollers, can I keep the same top speed but with lower revs when I’m on the highway but keep the same midrange gas mileage and power?

The 19g sliders and the 16g rollers make the midrange great, more power and better gas mileage, just not enough top end for my uses as primarily a highway commuter. Ultimately I just want to not run out of tach at 80 MPH; with the 21g stock rollers I would hit the redline around 83-85 MPH. I don’t really want to go faster, I want to get better MPG at higher speeds. If I have to sacrifice some speed off the line, so be it. Anyone have any input?
2014 NSS300A
1984 CH125
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

Hello!

It's been a while since I checked on this topic, but since I just bought a NEW 300cc scooter, I thought I would check in.

It's not a Honda but it IS a very hot scooter, in my opinion.....
the thing is, I think Yamaha did a much better job of tuning the new XMax 300 than Honda did with the Forza 300.

It may not even NEED tuning?

322 miles so far so still going sort of easy, more or less.
The ride home from the dealership was 88 miles including 8 miles of down pouring rain, so it got a nice first road trip.

I still have both Big Ruckus's and they're still running the same slider roller combo as before...
if running on flat land I use the 2418 sliders, in the mountains I use 2318 sliders, both in 20g and both with the Adige 15g rollers.
With over 12000 miles on one set they still have no flats spots.

As I mentioned before, after testing about a dozen different variators and graphing their acceleration curves, I found the J.Costa to be the most effective by far of anything I tested (they just don't last very long!!)

I started testing rollers and sliders (separately, at first) trying to find ANY combination that would reproduce that curve or something very close to it, with a reliable OEM variator using readily available (and inexpensive ) components. Unfortunate neither rollers alone or sliders alone would produce that almost horizontal, perfectly flat acceleration curve right along peak torque rpm.

Something faster than stock but still something that will hold up to years of hard road use with leaving you stranded?

That was the goal.

Here's a link I don't think I posted before I sold the Forza...this is a 0-80mph run with a slow roll off to show cruising rpm at different highway speeds.
it also shows fuel consumption! .
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M464cSwtfXs[/youtube]

the video is poor but it will give you an idea....the run start at ~4 seconds?

BRed....still rolling!