Max speed, vario & rollers

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Max speed, vario & rollers

Post by sendler2112 »

Pcxdemon wrote: 'white' spring
A stiffer contra spring was an overall negative in my experience and is really only useful if you vastly increase the power of the engine beyond stock to the point that the belt starts slipping. Increasing the contra spring increases the tension on the belt which stretches it a little longer and smashes it narrower. Both of which will slightly reduce top speed. Along with the extra power that is being wasted in the belt as heat from the extra force on it. You can get the desired effect of a higher pulling rpm just from changing to lighter weights.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Swap back to your stock contra spring and see what happens.
piolob
Year: 125 cc MY2015
Color: red

Post by piolob »

sendler2112 wrote:
piolob wrote:Sorry, but what's "tuck"? :?
Riding in a tuck gives you a more aerodynamic way through the air for the best top speed.

Ok, I understand now ;)
Riding tuck I can reach 110/115kpm, but I don't know the rpm, i just got tacho two days ago; I will retry looking at the tacho
Pcxdemon wrote:Here is a video of another pcx tuned with malossi stuff but this guy is using a 'white' spring and Malossi belt unlike your set up. Im not sure if the yellow spring is maybe to strong for stock 125 engine and may also give you hard time topping out max speed..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFV1kNB4bhs
White spring is stronger than yellow one.
Yellow was in the kit togheter with the vario and is 10% stronger than original one.
sendler2112 wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote: 'white' spring
A stiffer contra spring was an overall negative in my experience and is really only useful if you vastly increase the power of the engine beyond stock to the point that the belt starts slipping. Increasing the contra spring increases the tension on the belt which stretches it a little longer and smashes it narrower. Both of which will slightly reduce top speed. Along with the extra power that is being wasted in the belt as heat from the extra force on it. You can get the desired effect of a higher pulling rpm just from changing to lighter weights.
Mgalutia88 wrote:Swap back to your stock contra spring and see what happens.
I dont think it's too strong, even with original pcx power.
I switched to it just two weeks ago: I didnt lost max speed but I gained in midrange (40-80 kpm) and uphill.
Yes, i know about ligheter rollers, but now I'm using 8 gr rollers (too light), if I go lighter I think I could reach limiter just idling :D :D
piolob

Post by piolob »

you you wrote:Even better if you lift yer bum onto the seat and put your hand on the left fork tube
Good tip, but which hand? left or right? ;)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

A stiffer contra spring will raise the pulling rpm. So will lighter weights. They balance each other. But the weights do it without the draw back of smashing your belt. 8,000 rpm should be the fastest setting for a stock engine. Anything higher than that is entering an area of lesser power again and you are just wasting gas on the far side of the power peak.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

anything above 8k rpm is equivelant and about as useful as a clutch that's slipping
piolob

Post by piolob »

sendler2112 wrote:A stiffer contra spring will raise the pulling rpm. So will lighter weights. They balance each other. But the weights do it without the draw back of smashing your belt. 8,000 rpm should be the fastest setting for a stock engine. Anything higher than that is entering an area of lesser power again and you are just wasting gas on the far side of the power peak.
Mgalutia88 wrote:anything above 8k rpm is equivelant and about as useful as a clutch that's slipping
Now, with 8 gr rollers, I'm @8300 WOT and ,yes, it's too much (feeeling as something is slipping).
Today I'll put 9gr rollers that should bring WOT @7900/8000rpm
piolob

Post by piolob »

wojtek_pl wrote::geek: Off topic a little: How do you check RPMs ?

Is it that PCX have speed limiter of some kind, built in ECU ?
I got yuor PM, but I cannot reply. :x
Write me another PM with your email, so I can answer your questions.
piolob

Post by piolob »

sendler2112 wrote:
piolob wrote:But why cannot I reach rev limiter on the street?
You are not making enough power and you are not aerodynamic on the bike. Do you test for top sped by riding in a tuck? My USA PCX150 will redline at 9,600 rpm on my tach and 67 mph but only if I tuck and there is no head wind. Into a wind it may reach only 65 mph and 9,400 rpm. Your PCX125 has 2 hp less so you are stuck at a lower top speed by the wind. You are hitting a high top speed whem revving it on the center stand so the speed performance of your vario and belt is good. That is not the problem. It's just that you need more power. Which is not easy to do. Maddiedog put $1,000's of dollars of parts on his PCX and didn't really gain any top speed. It would be easier to trade the PCX on a bigger scooter.

I tried riding in a tuck in a short downhill: I got 118kpm@9000rpm, then I had to brake.
I have also put 8+9,5gr rolleres and now I get 7900rpm@WOT
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

there you go!!!
piolob

Post by piolob »

Mgalutia88 wrote:there you go!!!
Mhhhh, riding in a tuck is not ideal in my opinion ;)

I did some test:

Original vario:
WOT@6900
70kpm@6300
80kpm@7300
vel max (tuck) 108@9560

Malossi Vario with 14.7gr. rollers:
WOT@6300
70kpm@5800
80kpm@7150
vel max (tuck) 110@8000

Malossi Vario with 9gr. rollers:
WOT@7900
70kpm@6600
80kpm@6900
vel max (tuck) 118@8900

The original vario is 560gr
Malossi vario is 646gr

Could be the higher weight of the Malossi vario causing the motor not to get high rpm?
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

This may be stupid question, but WHY do You want to go that fast on PCX 125 ? It's not built for speed anyway...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

piolob wrote:The original vario is 560gr
Malossi vario is 646gr

Could be the higher weight of the Malossi vario causing the motor not to get high rpm?
Increased mass will decrease acceleration of the rpm but won't affect top speed or rpm. It just takes a little longer to get there. Your issue is still the same. You don't have enough power to go through the wind any faster. It's not an rpm thing. It's the normal power curve of the engine dropping away above 8,000 versus the increasing wind resistance at that speed. For every doubling of the speed, the wind resistance increases by 4 times. At 118 kph your stock engined PCX125 is already one of the fastest around. You can try removing the snorkel in the air box and drilling the exhaust to see if that will give a few more tenths of a horsepower but it makes the bike really loud.
piolob

Post by piolob »

wojtek_pl wrote:This may be stupid question, but WHY do You want to go that fast on PCX 125 ? It's not built for speed anyway...
I know it's not made for such a speed,
but I'd like to have a little more speed, so when I ride with my wife I can go about 90/100 without being always @limit
And also because a lot of people is saying they are gettin 115/120, so I wanna know WHY my PCX is not able. :)
piolob

Post by piolob »

sendler2112 wrote:
piolob wrote:The original vario is 560gr
Malossi vario is 646gr

Increased mass will decrease acceleration of the rpm but won't affect top speed or rpm. It just takes a little longer to get there. Your issue is still the same. You don't have enough power to go through the wind any faster. It's not an rpm thing. It's the normal power curve of the engine dropping away above 8,000 versus the increasing wind resistance at that speed. For every doubling of the speed, the wind resistance increases by 4 times. At 118 kph your stock engined PCX125 is already one of the fastest around. You can try removing the snorkel in the air box and drilling the exhaust to see if that will give a few more tenths of a horsepower but it makes the bike really loud.

Snorkel already removed, nice sound ;)
Drilling exaust is not for me.

So, should I be happy about 118 in tuck? o_O :roll: :)

I think you are right about wind resistence, this week should be avaible the Givi windshield, let's hope it will give me some aerodynamic advantage.
pcx125
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by pcx125 »

I had very similar setup to your on my PCX125 and I can get max speed is 120- 123km/hrs (on the road) . I don't go with that fast day to day, just try for testing after installed Malossi Variator. In my eyes this setup is perfect for me day to day ride in City, its quite good acceleration from traffic lights, and at corner turn :)

Please ask or look at Buddy1976 setup. This man guided me through step by step with all the parts and how to setup on my PCX125 . (thanks again Buddy1976)

Here are the parts I got for my PCX125
Variator (10.5 rollers)
http://www.pcxracing.com/product.php?id_product=109
and
Springs (Red)
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... r_m2912536
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

piolob wrote:I think you are right about wind resistence, this week should be avaible the Givi windshield, let's hope it will give me some aerodynamic advantage.
I heated and bent my Givi short windscreen back to get the best aerodynamics and best clearing of my face shield in the rain. Any bike with a windscreen that you can just peek over while crouching forward right behind the top edge will act like a blow drier which sheets the rain right off of your visor like magic any time you are going over 40mphh
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5888b3f434
piolob

Post by piolob »

pcx125 wrote:I had very similar setup to your on my PCX125 and I can get max speed is 120- 123km/hrs (on the road) . I don't go with that fast day to day, just try for testing after installed Malossi Variator. In my eyes this setup is perfect for me day to day ride in City, its quite good acceleration from traffic lights, and at corner turn :)

Please ask or look at Buddy1976 setup. This man guided me through step by step with all the parts and how to setup on my PCX125 . (thanks again Buddy1976)

Here are the parts I got for my PCX125
Variator (10.5 rollers)
http://www.pcxracing.com/product.php?id_product=109
and
Springs (Red)
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... r_m2912536
The setup is really good for acceleration, but my problem is top speed.
I found that lighter roller are even better for acceleration.
Clutch springs will give more start acceleration (I dont need now).
Also a stronger contra spring will give you better mid-range acceleration (40-90kpm) and better uphill speed.

I will write Buddy1976 PM ;)

Do you reach 120kpm riding normal or in a tuck?
piolob

Post by piolob »

sendler2112 wrote:
piolob wrote:I think you are right about wind resistence, this week should be avaible the Givi windshield, let's hope it will give me some aerodynamic advantage.
I heated and bent my Givi short windscreen back to get the best aerodynamics and best clearing of my face shield in the rain. Any bike with a windscreen that you can just peek over while crouching forward right behind the top edge will act like a blow drier which sheets the rain right off of your visor like magic any time you are going over 40mphh
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5888b3f434

Is it giving you any aerodynamic help?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

piolob wrote:Is it giving you any aerodynamic help?
Top speed in a tuck was about the same but riding in the rain is obviously much better with the windshield.