Max speed, vario & rollers

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

piolob
Year: 125 cc MY2015
Color: red

Max speed, vario & rollers

Post by piolob »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so first I introduce myself:
I live in Italy, I am an owner of a red pcx 125 from May 2014 (6500 km so far).

I have a problem I can not solve: increase the maximum speed of the PCX. This is my current setup: vario Malossi with bigger drive face, contra spring Malossi yellow, original drive belt, original clutch. I also have a digital tacho and original windshield (I'm waiting for the Givi windscreen)
I have tried several rollers (14gr, 12.5gr, 10.5gr, 9.5gr, and 8gr yesterday) but I can not increase the maximum speed on the road: 105 kpm on the speedometer, but 128-134 kpm on the stand (depending on the rollers) .
With 9.5gr rollers I'm 7400rpm WOT and 8300rpm@110kpm (downhill),
with 8gr rollers WOT is 8300rpm and 8400rpm@110kpm (downhill).
On the stand 9600@130kpm.
It seems that the engine on the road is not be able to go beyond the 8300 / 8400rpm.
I am 184cm x 85kg.
Any idea why? :roll:

Thanks
Ciao
Paolo
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Max speed, vario & rollers

Post by Pcxdemon »

Is Malossi belt same size as oem belt? Best to ask Max Tremo for advice (he is on Italian Pcx forum) and has tons of videos on youtube tuning his Pcx. He runs Malossi vario as well so he could give you some good advice...
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

:geek: Off topic a little: How do you check RPMs ?

Is it that PCX have speed limiter of some kind, built in ECU ?
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

piolob wrote:It seems that the engine on the road is not be able to go beyond the 8300 / 8400rpm.
It seems you have reached a balance between the engine power peak and the air resistance holding you back. To go faster you will need more power or less air resistance from an aero windscreen and riding in a tuck.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:
piolob wrote:It seems that the engine on the road is not be able to go beyond the 8300 / 8400rpm.
It seems you have reached a balance between the engine power peak and the air resistance holding you back. To go faster you will need more power or less air resistance from an aero windscreen and riding in a tuck.
I never had trouble reaching limiter as a 125 with vario upgrades...must be something else in play here. Also im same size a this bloke is.
piolob

Post by piolob »

Pcxdemon wrote:Is Malossi belt same size as oem belt? Best to ask Max Tremo for advice (he is on Italian Pcx forum) and has tons of videos on youtube tuning his Pcx. He runs Malossi vario as well so he could give you some good advice...
I have not Malossi belt, tech spec says it's 22x10x835 mm 30°
I'va already wrote in italian pcx forum , Max told me I have to change the motor size(150/170cc) to get more power & speed.
The point is that I read here (and in italian pcxforum) a lot of people is reaching 120 kpm.....
Also here I read people is reaching redline on the street, but i cannot undesrtand if they mean top speed or rpm redline (9600prm), I'm far away from this rpm.
Last edited by piolob on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
piolob

Post by piolob »

sendler2112 wrote:
Yes, seems :roll:
piolob

Post by piolob »

Pcxdemon wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:
I never had trouble reaching limiter as a 125 with vario upgrades...must be something else in play here. Also im same size a this bloke is.
So are you reaching rpm limiter on the street? Have you a tacho?
Do you have any ideas about WHAT else could be?
piolob

Post by piolob »

wojtek_pl wrote::geek: Off topic a little: How do you check RPMs ?

Is it that PCX have speed limiter of some kind, built in ECU ?
I bought a cheap digital tacho
see http://www.amazon.com/Tachometer-Resett ... ital+tacho

Yes, it has
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Esp pcx has longer belt than first generation 125 pcx (non Esp). Longer belt affects your top speed (negatively) and it may play a part in the problem for you. The malossi belt is 'older version size (shorter)' and its designed to work with the malossi vario for best performance. I would try replacing the belt first to match it with vario and see where you stand...
piolob

Post by piolob »

Pcxdemon wrote:Esp pcx has longer belt than first generation 125 pcx (non Esp). Longer belt affects your top speed (negatively) and it may play a part in the problem for you. The malossi belt is 'older version size (shorter)' and its designed to work with the malossi vario for best performance. I would try replacing the belt first to match it with vario and see where you stand...
Yes, I was also thinking about that...to give Malossi Betl a try ;)
But why cannot I reach rev limiter on the street?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

piolob wrote:But why cannot I reach rev limiter on the street?
You are not making enough power and you are not aerodynamic on the bike. Do you test for top sped by riding in a tuck? My USA PCX150 will redline at 9,600 rpm on my tach and 67 mph but only if I tuck and there is no head wind. Into a wind it may reach only 65 mph and 9,400 rpm. Your PCX125 has 2 hp less so you are stuck at a lower top speed by the wind. You are hitting a high top speed whem revving it on the center stand so the speed performance of your vario and belt is good. That is not the problem. It's just that you need more power. Which is not easy to do. Maddiedog put $1,000's of dollars of parts on his PCX and didn't really gain any top speed. It would be easier to trade the PCX on a bigger scooter.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:
Maddiedog put $1,000's of dollars of parts on his PCX and didn't really gain any top speed. It would be easier to trade the PCX on a bigger scooter.
Maddiedog didnt get get high gear kit so no,he wouldnt get any extra top speed from the big bore kit he installed but he will deff get there faster to the existing limit and pull faster up the hills...I think he may have got Kitaco sprocket but thats a barley a gear up though 2-3mph extra tops..
piolob

Post by piolob »

sendler2112 wrote:
You are not making enough power and you are not aerodynamic on the bike. Do you test for top sped by riding in a tuck? My USA PCX150 will redline at 9,600 rpm on my tach and 67 mph but only if I tuck and there is no head wind. Into a wind it may reach only 65 mph and 9,400 rpm. Your PCX125 has 2 hp less so you are stuck at a lower top speed by the wind. You are hitting a high top speed whem revving it on the center stand so the speed performance of your vario and belt is good. That is not the problem. It's just that you need more power. Which is not easy to do. Maddiedog put $1,000's of dollars of parts on his PCX and didn't really gain any top speed. It would be easier to trade the PCX on a bigger scooter.
Sorry, but what's "tuck"? :?
Sure pcx is sensible to head wind, and i can understand some lower rpm, but not 1k lower.
Yes, I'm agree with you about bigger scooter, I just would like to know why my rpm are so low on the steet. ;)
piolob

Post by piolob »

Pcxdemon wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:
Maddiedog put $1,000's of dollars of parts on his PCX and didn't really gain any top speed. It would be easier to trade the PCX on a bigger scooter.
Maddiedog didnt get get high gear kit so no,he wouldnt get any extra top speed from the big bore kit he installed but he will deff get there faster to the existing limit and pull faster up the hills...I think he may have got Kitaco sprocket but thats a barley a gear up though 2-3mph extra tops..
I'm not interested in spending lot of $$$$.
As I wrote I'd like just to understand why I dont reach rev limiton the road.
.....then maybe I could spend $$$$$(€€€€) :D
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Pcxdemon wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:
I'm not interested in spending lot of $$$$.
As I wrote I'd like just to understand why I dont reach rev limiton the road.
.....then maybe I could spend $$$$$(€€€€) :D[/quote]

I didn't suggest that you should...but i would first start with the appropriate belt (Malossi) and see if the problem is solved.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Pcxdemon wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:
Maddiedog did do the the big ring high gear kit.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

piolob wrote:Sorry, but what's "tuck"? :?
Riding in a tuck gives you a more aerodynamic way through the air for the best top speed.

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Here is a video of another pcx tuned with malossi stuff but this guy is using a 'white' spring and Malossi belt unlike your set up. Im not sure if the yellow spring is maybe to strong for stock 125 engine and may also give you hard time topping out max speed..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFV1kNB4bhs
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Even better if you lift yer bum onto the seat and put your hand on the left fork tube