Does more money = a better helmet?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Does more money = a better helmet?

Post by Jarec »

Hi PCXers!

I'm using an inexpensive modular helmet with full face coverage (Hawk FS-901), DOT approved. It's comfortable enough and I'm used to it.

My question is whether I should invest more money in a "better" helmet. How would I know that a more expensive one is actually better? Are the big name brands actually better than others that are DOT approved? I'm guessing that there is a money premium for big names and style.

I know about the Snell Foundation certification, but apparently there is controversy about their criteria. See http://www.ridergroups.com/2020/how-imp ... le-helmet/.

What are your insights? Thanks! John
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Does more money = a better helmet?

Post by SECoda »

I have a GMax modular GM54S with the tint screen and an iridium main screen on it and absolutely love it. The two colors (matte black - silver) were a few dollars more but I think it was $118 plus some extra shields I bought. Also, definitely a good bang for the buck type helmet. My friend works parts at a local power sports shop and he tells me the lines they are supposed to say to customers to get them to buy the real expensive ones. The first is always "how much is your brain worth?". The other vendors do market some things to try to justify the prices like carbon fiber, lighter weight, etc. He told me there is a mix of some truth to some of those but nothing that justifies the price in his opinion. My buddy with two Harleys dropped his $500 Shoie and broke it he said a few years back.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I've been riding over 20 years, and I just wear the cheap stuff now. Full face "Bilt" from cycle gear for $29. I don't really think there's much difference. All either have a thermoplastic, fiberglass, or carbon fiber shell with high density foam, the a felt or microfiber liner. Only diff I see is long term quality. My cheap Bilt helmet has stuff flaking off of it on the liner, but for the price, I don't complain. As far as the 5 year rule or replacing if dropped...how convenient that the helmet menufacturers would recommend replacement in such cases.

I have an old Arai, and have had several nice Shoei/Arai's over the years. Got kids now and price is a factor now. If I could tell a difference, I'd pay for it, but afaik, it's not what brand of helmet you're wearing, but the style (full face vs skull cap) that would make any appreciable difference in the case of an accident.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I will say that the carbon fiber helmet I had on my last sportbike REALLY help with head fatigue. 2lbs 9oz vs 4 1/4 lbs for my Scorpion really made the difference when hunched over the bike holding your head up in slow moving traffic.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I do think it depends on your personal riding habits. Weight starts to matter on very long rides. ;)
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Good advice, thanks!

Anyone using rain x or other products on their visors?
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

More expensive does not automatically mean better, just look at the Sharp ratings.
Some models from the top price brands fare quite badly.
If you ever see what happens to a human face when it slides along tarmac at speed you will probably never wear an open face ever again.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Patrik0037

Post by Patrik0037 »

Ever hear the phrase opinions are like a$$holes? Try on some different helmets see what you like and what you don't then decide, that is truly the only way to find a good helmet for YOU, don't just surf the web reading ratings because everyone is different, find a good shop and try on as many as you can, once again just my opinion :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The sharp ratings are not common or garden web ratings.
Lots of useful well researched information, particularly about how to ensure the correct fit.
No opinion, just facts.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/get-right-fit
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I put Cycle Care Formula 33 on everything. It's one of those all-in-one and safe for windshields, shields, plastic, paint, chrome, etc. that doesn't streak. I use it to remove bugs from my windshield and helmet shields as well. I have another rain product I have used but this seems to be the best for making everything look brand new. A 22 oz spray bottle is about $16 and will last a very long time. Oh and it repels rain as well. If you know firearm cleaning it is the CLP Break Free for motorcycles and scooters.

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Formulas-Fo ... formula+33

Jarec wrote:Good advice, thanks!

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Thanks, Patrik0037. My difficulty is not so much with fit or appearance, but with safety- hard to assess that by trying them on.
Patrik0037 wrote:Ever hear the phrase opinions are like a$$holes? Try on some different helmets see what you like and what you don't then decide, that is truly the only way to find a good helmet for YOU, don't just surf the web reading ratings because everyone is different, find a good shop and try on as many as you can, once again just my opinion :D
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Looks great, just what I need! Thanks, SECoda.
SECoda wrote:I put Cycle Care Formula 33 on everything. It's one of those all-in-one and safe for windshields, shields, plastic, paint, chrome, etc. that doesn't streak. I use it to remove bugs from my windshield and helmet shields as well. I have another rain product I have used but this seems to be the best for making everything look brand new. A 22 oz spray bottle is about $16 and will last a very long time. Oh and it repels rain as well. If you know firearm cleaning it is the CLP Break Free for motorcycles and scooters.

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Formulas-Fo ... formula+33

Jarec wrote:Good advice, thanks!

Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

My top concerns are does the helmet fit well and is comfortable, does it have very little wind noise (even with the visor open), is there a slot for my glasses, have removable pad inserts and is it compatible with the Sena communications system? If it passes all that and says DOT on the back I probably won't bother to look up Snell or Sharp ratings.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

It depends how much you really ride. 4 features I find essential in a helmet are:
Modular so it seals tight around the neck for minimum wind noise/ maximum warmth in bad weather. And don't have to take it off to see a map, fill up the tank, or talk. Just flip it up.
Pop down sun visor so you can have your view shaded or not in an instant.
Inner pin lock visor prevents all fogging
Superior aerodynamics to minimize buffeting and pushing forces during head checks and side winds.
I ride an hour each way every day to work at 55 mph rain or shine whenever there is no ice. The Schuberth is way overpriced but after 3 years and 40,000 miles it has become worth every penny.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-helmet
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

Lots of very useful information! Thanks to all! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Great posts, fabulous info. Thanks!
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360