2013 Performance

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

2013 Performance

Post by vamootsman »

Haven't found a whole lot of info searching the forums, so any input is welcome.

Not too interested in variators and gearing unlesss I can figure out how to get a bit more power and torque out of it.

I have an exhaust coming thanks to Scooterman
Figure some type of air intake (like KandN) would be help but haven't found much on what fits/works

Is there anything elses out there for the 2013?
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: 2013 Performance

Post by homie »

vamootsman wrote:Is there anything elses out there for the 2013?
brother... that might be all you can do
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

vamootsman wrote:Haven't found a whole lot of info searching the forums, so any input is welcome.

Not too interested in variators and gearing unlesss I can figure out how to get a bit more power and torque out of it.

Figure some type of air intake (like KandN) would be help but haven't found much on what fits/works

just changing the exhaust and air filter might make a better noise but without touching the variator or rollers you'll not notice much difference at all, except for the noise the scoot makes.
i recommend at least some lighter rollers or dr pulley sliders, these will compliment the exhaust/air filter mods.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

vamootsman wrote:Haven't found a whole lot of info searching the forums, so any input is welcome.

Best bang for the buck period. are Dr.Pulley sliders on the stock variator.

Then get the K&N r-1100 air filter(pod filter) to go with ANY open exhaust(straight through design).

Then ??? there is a lot of other stuff here, you gotta search :o ... variators, gears, clutches, TBs, injectors, cams, big bores, etc. 8)
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150

Post by Duggle »

I already have 15gr DR Pulley sliders on order. How much HP do you think is gained with a K&N pod filter and performance exhaust? What about the free-flow filter that fits into the PCX air box, seems much easier but is it much help?

Does anyone have experience with any of the spark plugs that promise 3% HP increase (Magnum Performance)? 3% x 13.5HP = .4 extra HP at a decent price.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx

Post by dasshreddar »

Duggle wrote:I already have 15gr DR Pulley sliders on order. How much HP do you think is gained with a K&N pod filter and performance exhaust? What about the free-flow filter that fits into the PCX air box, seems much easier but is it much help?

Does anyone have experience with any of the spark plugs that promise 3% HP increase (Magnum Performance)? 3% x 13.5HP = .4 extra HP at a decent price.
let us know what you think of the 15g... they might be a tad heavy?, I have 12g on mine...
HP, not sure Maybe a 1+hp gain? maybe...
I felt a gain with the sliders. I did not feel a gain with the pod filter alone. I did feel a gain when I added the exhaust though.
mgalutia88 tried a performance plug(Brisk?), but it failed on him... try it and find out.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I have the NCY variator and drive face (total $90) and run the OEM rollers in it for a top speed of 79mph with a new belt.

The exhausts we have on order are good for close to 1 peak HP. Others have stated in the past that an intake won't really help unless you do an exhaust. I plann to order up a pod filter since they're so cheap and try it out when I put the exhaust on. With the added noise of the exhaust, the added intake noise should be of no concern.

I purchased my NCY variator and drive face from www.corsport.com
They sell them separately. Variator alone will take you from 68-72mph, Drive Face will add the rest along with a fresh belt.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

Good stuff guys. My back-round is bicycle shop owner and mechanic. Definitely familiar with what is to be gained in speed and efficiency by losing weight, gaining aerodynamics, power to weight etc etc. So I don't want to waste too much money on mods for more speed without the power up front to get there. Keep the tips coming, and the more specific the better for the 2013 year. Thanks!
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150

Post by Duggle »

Yeah, I'd like to lose about 40 lbs and become more aerodynamic but I'm finding it to be very hard to do. My wife is a good cook. Back up plan is to add a little bit of HP to the PCX. Probably just Exhaust (eventually), free flowing air filter and maybe try the performance spark plug thingies.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I think we're going to take care of the easy HP with the exhaust and maybe a pod filter. Going with the cam, big bore kit, fuel injection controller, etc will add power, but also has a hit on MPG from what others have said.

Now aerodynamics is something that hasn't been discussed. Although, it's unrealistic. But, if you've ever done a full race tuck, you know it adds 7-8mph to your top speed. The seat heigh is fairly high in the name of maximizing cargo space. If the seating position could be dropped by 4 inches, wind resistance would increase and MPG's would rise.

Anyway, I'm excited to to get the exhaust and hopefully be happy with the results. I'm only 150lbs and 5'10", and willing to tuck down for my 20-30 min jaunts on the freeway and I sit up while drafting of going downhill. Would be nice to have the option of sitting up more often.

Regarding the spark plug, curious how they're claiming a power gain. One way you can gain power is to widen the gap on the spark plug creating a bigger spark, provided it can jump the gap. Only way you can really widen the gap though is by mounting up an aftermarket high powered ignition which works by allowing a biggger spark which in turn gives more efficient combustion (complete burn) providing slightly more power. Although todays EFI and modern engine designs are already quite optimized, so in my opinion, gains would be minimal. On a highly modified high compression motor, an aftermarket ignition becomes necessary as the high compression supresses the spark.

I'll stop here. I got a LiIon battery which saves 3.5lbs, mirrors removed (1lb), reflectors removed (6oz.), centerstand (2.75lbs) and I plan to remove/trim the rear fender which should save a couple lbs with some smaller turn signals, and the airbox (replacing with pod filter), which might be 2-3lbs. So, overall, 12-13lbs saved. That's a 5% weight reduction. And, should be good to get you an additional 1mph up a 5% grade at full throttle on the freeway. Add the power gain from the exhaust/intake and you may get another 2-3mph up the hill. It's all worth it if you're like me and do a good bit of freeway riding.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

That's good stuff Scooterman. I'm 160lbs 5'10' and have the tall Givi Fairing on it but with about an inch and half trimmed off the top.
It cruises pretty well at 55-60, but runs out of steam unless I'm going downhill. I'm going to do the exhaust when it comes in, and a pod filter and see what that does. I get 94mg around town and highway right now, so am totally happy with the economy. Losing a little wouldn't bother me.
Ultimately would love the bike to be able to cruise comfortably at 65-70. Will need some drivetrain mods for that but will wait til I know I have bit more muscle to push it.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

ok so ill put my input in. i have 12g sliders with a kn vario which is inteded for acceleration not top speed. now that being said i can cruise 60-65 all day 60 up most hills. i have done the contra and clutch springs, which doesnt make much difference once you hit 35 or so unless you let off it "downshifts" better and keeps you in the powerband. i had a pod on mine with a leovince seemed like it made some difference but lost without exhaust(leo kept cracking) im very happy with my setup and up till 55-60 i am faster than just about any bike under 200cc ive ridden with. but the route you want to go where you are looking for more power before you do transmission parts is kinda a waste to get what your looking for if you got a high speed vario you should see your speeds fairly easily when i had my yuminashi with 11g rollers i could rock 70-75 straightback no problem.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

oh and im 240lbs
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Has anyone had any experience with Takegawa variators?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I have the NCY variator and drive face and run the OEM rollers on my 2013 PCX 150. I would like to know how long the rollers will last? I have a little ruckus with a scooter ninja variator and it wears OEM rollers out in less than 2000 miles. Thanks
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Mel46 wrote:Has anyone had any experience with Takegawa variators?
Yes i have used one with sliders and rollers, its just a slightly modified stock variator.

Not much of an improvement over stock either compared to other aftermarket variators.
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, that means it is out as far as my choice of variators then. Looks like either a NCY or Yuminashi. I need a combination that will bring up my top end to mid to high 70's.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

buddy1976 wrote:
Yes i have used one with sliders and rollers, its just a slightly modified stock variator.

Not much of an improvement over stock either compared to other aftermarket variators.
That's not quite correct. Takegawa is not stock modded but it's a new casted vario, it's bigger in diameter and has ramps fully extended. So it's based on stock but new cast and improved to the max over stock. I had a pleasure to test side by side on two 125's, one with stock vario but tuned with sliders for 8k rpm and takegawa vario tuned with sliders for 8k rpm. Both had takegawa performance exhaust. Takegawa vario left stock one of the line with walking pace and on the highway left a stockie far far behind...
So it is a good vario, not the best but good and the price reflects that.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Pcxdemon wrote:
buddy1976 wrote:

That's not quite correct. Takegawa is not stock modded but it's a new casted vario, it's bigger in diameter and has ramps fully extended. So it's based on stock but new cast and improved to the max over stock. I had a pleasure to test side by side on two 125's, one with stock vario but tuned with sliders for 8k rpm and takegawa vario tuned with sliders for 8k rpm. Both had takegawa performance exhaust. Takegawa vario left stock one of the line with walking pace and on the highway left a stockie far far behind...
So it is a good vario, not the best but good and the price reflects that.

I'm Just saying in my experience the takegawa only gave small gains over stock variator. in my opinion if the only mod you are doing is changing the vario you'll see better gains by spending an extra few quid and getting a better vario kit like the malossi or ncy.

If your on a tight budget the takegawa may be an option but without spending extra on sliders and/or a new pipe the gains are minimal.
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

So today I did a 1 hour out, and 1 hour back trip to my sons Golf Tourney from the Quad Cities to Kewanee Illinois, so have some seat of the pants observations. My sled is stock with a shortened Givi tall windscreen.
A little interstate, and a lot of back roads, mostly flat.
Reaffirmed the that this scoot needs a couple more horsepower and a higher top end. Honda left it a bit short on both for US riding. Not by much, but enough.
I was good on the back roads at 55-60mph, but there's no accceleration left. (That's cool, It's the way it was designed)
On I74 and the faster backroads I could bounce off the limiter, but only going down a grade.
Just couldn't keep up with traffic on the interstate. Not by much but enough to want more.
Scooterman set me up with a new Silent Oval exhaust, and led me to an NCY variator and drive face, and I also found a K&N r-1100 air cleaner.
Gonna do the opposite of some, and install the exhaust and filter first, just to see if I can notice any increased fell in power and acceleration. We'll see if I can start bouncing the limiter a little easier.
After that I'll do the Variator and Drive Face.
I'll disconnect the battery too.
Thanks Scooterman for helping round up the parts.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S