Security

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015
Color: White

Security

Post by Kenno »

Ok, so I haven't even got my pcx yet, but I'm thinking ahead to keeping it secure.

At home, I have a garage, but with a broken door, and it's pretty much full anyway, so the pcx will have to live on the driveway. I'm thinking I'll need some kind of ground anchor and a decent chain. I like the look of the almax series 4 (or is that overkill?).

At work, it'll be parked in a fairly secure car park with nothing to secure it to, so I'll probably just use a disc lock thing. I saw a youtube vid recommending the xena x6 but I'm not sure the alarm bit is worth the hassle?

Out and about elsewhere though (shops etc.), I have no idea what the procedure is. I don't even know where I can park, but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually. What do you all take out with you? Should I be taking a hefty chain with me or is the disc lock enough? Is it ever ok to just rely on the steering lock alone?

The big question I have, and I can't find the answer anywhere, is if I use a big chain, where do I actually lock it up to on the pcx?! I'd have thought the frame would be safest but can't see any gaps on pictures, is the back wheel ok? It looks quite a job to get it off anyway.

Finally (for now!), do I need a cover for it? Or just a seat cover? Or is it ok left out? Worth keeping a towel under the seat in case it rains?

Again, thanks in advance for any much needed advice!
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Security

Post by Kenno »

Anyone?! :oops:
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Generally speaking any kind of security will act as a deterrant to the general oppertunist theif.. Disk locks are best, perhaps get one with a built in alarm to draw attention...

But just think how many times you have heard a car alarm go off and not bothered to check if the alarm is because the car is being broken into / stolen?

At the end of the day most people that intend on stealing a scooter will come prepaired and if they really want it they will have it regardless. you may make it a little more inconvenient for them but they'll get it... Tough truth.

I don't bother with any TBH, i'm looking at getting a cheap disklock with alarm but not really that bothered... that's why i'm insured!.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
anavi13

Post by anavi13 »

Hi Kenno,
I was in your situation a couple of months ago so happy to share my experiences so far. There seem to be so many options but I guess, as Urbanfreestyle says, it probably doesn't matter that much as long as you have something.
I live in a modern high-rise development with open resident parking. There are only four car parking spaces that are tucked away underneath one of the buildings and one of these spaces is right next to a big lamp post, so that's where my pcx lives. Luckily someone else has their peugeot scooter chained on the same spot so I can tuck mine in next to it and not worry about losing the spot to a car.
The insurance company clearly views my address as highly risky though (a bit of a dodgy part of Edinburgh, apparently) so I felt I had to splash out on security. Just as well, as I noticed about three weeks ago that the other scooter had the plastic coating on the chain hacked through and my steering lock had been broken! (although that could have happened before, I just hadn't noticed)
This is what I have:
- Oxford Hardcore XL chain with padlock, keep it attached to the lamp post at home or take with me when I go somewhere in town I know I can lock it to a railing or something
- Oxford Screamer alarmed disk lock to carry around and use when at work or running quick errants in town (just got that yesterday for £30 because I was tired or carrying the heavy chain around when I don't use it at work. It's really easy to attach and you just press a button to arm it. It does make a lot of noise so as long at it attracts someone's attention..)
- a forensic coding system that came with my insurance and is registered to me (you dot a sort of liquid that contains microchips all over the bike and attach some lovely holographic warning labels)
- a cheap cover from ebay to put over the scooter when at home. Out of sight...:)

As for your other questions, when using the chain at home I just attach it to the front wheel (stick it through the gaps there). The cover is handy when you leave it out in the rain but I use it mainly to hide the bike. I do carry a rag under the seat, mainly to wipe off excess moisture when back home from a wet run. Hope that helps!
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kenno »

Ta. I'll definitely get the disc lock then. I suppose as long as the alarm doesn't go off for no reason it's worth having.

I'll stick with that for out and about and try not to worry. You're right about the insurance!

I'll stick a cover on my shopping list and look into the forensic liquid stuff.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I hope they steal it so insurance will get me another model to try. Maybe a Forza or Majesty next time.
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

SECoda wrote:I hope they steal it so insurance will get me another model to try. Maybe a Forza or Majesty next time.
The problem here of course, is that they won't give you enough to even get a new Metro.
Image, Image
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I have 100 deductible full replacement for a few dollars more. Enough for another new PCX out the door but I would always try something else for fun. Yes - I would have to kick in a few grand for a Forza or Majesty say... I hope they wait until I get a few k miles on it though. o_O The real problem would be I go camping a lot so I need to stay under about 450 lbs max for hauling realistically on the 600 lb carrier. The PCX is really the perfect camping scooter at 286 lbs yet it will do 65 mph. :? The makes it vulnerable for a carry-away. :lol:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I bought a Xena alarm disc lock and croc-lock, both of which I've never used yet as I park in a secure underground car-park at work and chain the pcx to the tow-bar of my car at home (will get a ground anchor at some point for convenience). If I were to use the PCX for other than commuting or change job, I would never trust less than a thick chain and disk lock in public. Trusting on insurance to cover replacement cost, at least in the uk, seems foolhardy as most never pay anywhere near new cost, and then most insurers hike your premium massively, kind of defeating paying fully comp on cheaper bikes.

The chain I use at home is only 10mm, but for out and about, 13mm minimum as that starts to be larger than many smaller bolt cutters can fit around.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Kenno wrote: The big question I have, and I can't find the answer anywhere, is if I use a big chain, where do I actually lock it up to on the pcx?! I'd have thought the frame would be safest but can't see any gaps on pictures, is the back wheel ok?
Back wheel better than front for sure! I was cuffing the forks and front wheel and when available fork and anything else in concrete. But I was just a axle bolt away from carry off... so yes there is not much frame to catch but back better than front and anything better than nothing.

No one is rolling mine away without tools but like most here will say nothing will stop a determined thief. However this makes me feel better :)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Gone in 30 seconds. o_O

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My suggestion would also be a brake alarm, but I would also suggest adding something to remind YOU that it is there. It would not be good if you forgot about it and jumped on your scooter ready to ride and you screwed up the brake pad. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kenno »

Thanks all. Was hoping I wouldn't have to carry a chain with me because I wanted a pretty hefty one for home, and I'll be adding enough weight to the pcx myself!
Probably do need something to stop it being carried off though.
I've seen disc locks with a cord that attaches to the handlebar - hadn't realised what it was for but it must be a reminder to take it off I'll look out for one of them!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:Gone in 30 seconds. o_O

I don't think so
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Agree with getting v.g. insurance w/full replacement coverage. It will cost more but it will give you peace of mind wherever the scoot is (for me, it's inside the U.S.) should it get totally damaged, or stolen. Sure I'd feel bad and mad if it were to happen, but then better when my new no cost scoot rolled up.
This is the only lock I've used so far. It's called what it says. Good for quick store stops and the like. A compact deterrent lock I keep under my seat. I have a chain lock too in the house that I Haven't used (yet).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (371.19 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's a video or two of the Grip Lock:

or this way: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=saq7_8wr6k4

or this way: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ix7bWLpWBk
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I don't get it, wouldn't you just move to cutting the brake cable with a pair of cross cutters or saw thru the lever to free up a roll off? Why mess with sawing that off :) this is a fail.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

That's what I've got, but called croc-lock (same size, same thing) - never used it and think I will ebay it. I would only trust a very thick chain, say 15mm out in public if left unattended for long periods, and a disc lock.
Some friends had both their scooters stolen from outside there house some weeks ago (in a good neighbourhood too) - one was found dumped in bushes and the other, her treasured Vespa, not found so far. Both had some form of protection on them.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise wrote:... This is the only lock I've used so far.
Hey WN, I like that. I have a few questions ....
Is the grip opening large enough to go over a padded grip as I have replaced the stock ones?
Where did you get it? Online? Store?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Mark,
I'm thinking :roll: ...You have Kuryakyn grips? Right? Nice!! Yes, I'm pretty sure the Grip Lock will fit because it comes with 3 rubber grip inserts so you can customize the fit to the grip. There's also an inner slide bar to adjust the distance from the grip to the brake lever. Can be used on either grip. So, so easy to apply and not at all cumbersome.
Two keys come included.

It's probably easier to read all about it and then you can browse their website: http://www.grip-lock.com/Grip-Locks/
I bought mine 5 or so years ago either from Amazon or Aerostitch: http://www.aerostich.com/grip-lock.html

(I did a little reading on their website (the page I just linked you too), appears there are more uses for this brake gadget than I had thought. It helps in doing mechanical fixes too. Lock it on rear brake to keep rear wheel from spinning during a fix. I like it even more now!!) 8)

AND,......it's available in assorted colors (like "Trix" :D )