ATGATT or Squidding: What do YOU ride with?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Re: ATGATT or Squidding: What do YOU ride with?

Post by Sh3p »

Yeah, im from Hawaii and live in LA most of my daily life and even when im chilling at the track im in board/basketball shorts and slippers all day.

I might suggest an Air pants, most makers have a mesh version they call Air, for obvious reason. Moto jeans arent that bad, most have a cotton liner that makes them pretty comfy. I wear my Drayko Drift as "summer attire" in LA, i also use RS taichi hard knee pads under them, they have a removable soft sleeve you can sweat in, and wash.

http://www.revzilla.com/search?query=air+pants
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/De ... k?no=13049
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I really wish I could say that I wear a lot of gear, but the truth is I would have heat stroke here is I did. I have been in almost every state and the one constant I have found in the South is humidity. When it is 100 degrees F with 80% humidity, it feels like 150. Add heavy clothing and it is extremely hard to ride for long. My wife, who has far less experience than I do absolutely refuses to wear a jacket in those temperatures. Though I should be setting the example, it isn't possible for me to to ride fully covered in July and August. Add to all of this the fact that I am on a chemo pill that kills my temperature regulator and you can see my problem. I wore a jacket one day and was soaked through and through in 5 minutes, and felt faint. So I wear the armor when I can, but that is only half of the year. I have gone down several times, but because of all that I have learned while riding through the years, I have been lucky and have only had a broken wrist and messed up knee, same side. Both were fixed and I haven't had any breaks since then. That was back in 1981.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Those taichi knee pads look good. Might get them with some leather pants, http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcy ... 41282.html
Sh3p wrote:Yeah, im from Hawaii and live in LA most of my daily life and even when im chilling at the track im in board/basketball shorts and slippers all day.

I might suggest an Air pants, most makers have a mesh version they call Air, for obvious reason. Moto jeans arent that bad, most have a cotton liner that makes them pretty comfy. I wear my Drayko Drift as "summer attire" in LA, i also use RS taichi hard knee pads under them, they have a removable soft sleeve you can sweat in, and wash.

Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I wear thick boots (not motorbikes ones but sturdy to the ankle), soft leather gloves with semi-hard protection (RST's), a textile armoured jacket and waterproofs over jeans. Now winter is approaching I'll start wearing the Armr Moto armoured waterproofs I have instead. I also have a cheap helmet which is comfortable and well made but it gets 4 stars on the Sharp website (better than many much more expensive ones). It's a re-brand of MT that get 4 stars (an £80 MT Revenge gets the full 5 stars so I think I'll get one of those in a size up so I can wear a balaclava in the winter months).

Not the best protection, and I do believe textile jackets and clothing is no where near as good as thick leather ones, but for city driving and 30/40 mph at best on longer clear roads, and paying attention, I hope for the best. If I was constantly riding fast or on A roads I would not feel safe without full leathers.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:I wear thick boots (not motorbikes ones but sturdy to the ankle), soft leather gloves with semi-hard protection (RST's), a textile armoured jacket and waterproofs over jeans. Now winter is approaching I'll start wearing the Armr Moto armoured waterproofs I have instead. I also have a cheap helmet which is comfortable and well made but it gets 4 stars on the Sharp website (better than many much more expensive ones). It's a re-brand of MT that get 4 stars (an £80 MT Revenge gets the full 5 stars so I think I'll get one of those in a size up so I can wear a balaclava in the winter months).

Not the best protection, and I do believe textile jackets and clothing is no where near as good as thick leather ones, but for city driving and 30/40 mph at best on longer clear roads, and paying attention, I hope for the best. If I was constantly riding fast or on A roads I would not feel safe without full leathers.

I never ride anything faster than a roller skate without a full suit of armour, wrapped by a mattress or two. It's the only way to be sure of not dying before I'm 90

And feeling special and clever on my teeny weeny skooter/keyboard
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Sh3p wrote:Yeah, im from Hawaii and live in LA most of my daily life and even when im chilling at the track im in board/basketball shorts and slippers all day.

Sportbiketrackgear is right by my work that's where I got my hi-viz mesh jacket, hi-viz HJC helmet and riding pants from. :D I give my order over the phone and pick it up in two days on the way home.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Oh you lucky goose.
Revzilla and STG are gear mainstays in practice and conversation in my riding groups. I literally have a pile of stickers from all the orders over the last 3 years lol

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

iceman wrote:I wear thick boots (not motorbikes ones but sturdy to the ankle), soft leather gloves with semi-hard protection (RST's), a textile armoured jacket and waterproofs over jeans. Now winter is approaching I'll start wearing the Armr Moto armoured waterproofs I have instead. I also have a cheap helmet which is comfortable and well made but it gets 4 stars on the Sharp website (better than many much more expensive ones). It's a re-brand of MT that get 4 stars (an £80 MT Revenge gets the full 5 stars so I think I'll get one of those in a size up so I can wear a balaclava in the winter months).

Sharp website is new for me, it seems very thorough, which does not surprise me, I see so many moto safety commercials that are UK played and mayyyyybe there was one in the states in 2010? Also, my RF-1100 is apparently an XR-1100 in UK...
I typically go with certifications, 2/3 is good enough for me, DOT / SNELL / ECE.

In a nutshell, to pass CE lvl 1 standards for abrasion, the garment needs to last more than 4 seconds sliding against something like 60grit sandpaper. CE lvl 2 must surpass 7 seconds of abrasion. I've slid pretty fast but honestly not very long. CE armor is always welcome, but for abrasion you can probably get away with a good textile suit/jumpsuit.
I have seen guys in full leather riding scooters, its funny but i cant bash the saftey factor. Shit, hes probably geared better than I am.

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

STG is walking distance from my work. They are really cool. I told the guy at the counter that I ride a scoot and he didn't give my any shit at all! :D
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Looked at pants to match my 1stGear jacket today... 169.00 DOH! Guess I'm still squidding :(
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

The jacket in my profile pic is 1st Gear. Also have a 1st Gear hi-viz vest. I like their stuff.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

The way I feel about buying gear is sort of the way I feel about buying clothes/shoes. When you can finally afford a really good/nice high end pair of shoes, they feel better, look better, get you compliments, and usually last much longer. They become kind of uncomparable to another pair unless in the same range.
I've found that to be true with most of my gear, more it costs the better it usually fit, had more creature comforts, and lasted longer (in use and in crash) than the piece it replaced. If you cant already tell im a bit of a gearslut so I've tried a bunch of stuff, settled on what i could afford that fits best.
Not to brag at all, but i never buy gear at full retail price, I wait for the season closeout at least, or perhaps hunt one on craigslist or my other rider forums.

Example: I always wanted a race jacket with a speed hump to feel how much better the ergos and aeros were. I wanted this Tech 1-R race jacket but not for $700. So i waited two seasons and sure enough, STG closed it out for $350, still pricey, but not bad for a top of the line racing jacket.
Revzilla closes items more frequently than most, i'd start there. I just got my lady a pair of Dainese D19 kevlar jeans on closeout too, (plus revzilla cash!).

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I did want to mention that I do wear boots and jeans at least. I have a beautiful Tourmaster jacket that I will wear when it is a little cooler. I really wish my wife would get gear also but she has problems with her shoulders and also has wider hips than she use to have....thanks to a near death experience with Viox many years ago. Once upon a time she weighed in at 108 pounds, but 2 weeks after taking Viox she blew up like a marshmallow. Every joint was swollen too. Her thyroid went completely haywire, as well as blood pressure. I am glad they pulled that stuff from the market, but the damage is done and all we can do is live with it. Imagine how you would feel if your body went from 108 lb to 150 or 160 lbs with you doing absolutely nothing different from your usual. We eat healthy and stay busy, so we aren't couch potatoes. Still, all she has tried will not change what Viox did. To add to that, many years ago , while driving her small car here in Atlanta, she was hit head on by a drunk driver. More injuries. Now we just have to try to fit clothing around her injuries, which isn't easy when you can't put a lot of weight on your joints. She wears boots and gloves, and we have helmets, of course. Her pants are regular jeans, and when she wears a jacket, it is just a regular jacket, though we do wear vests with armor in them. I can only pray that she never has an accident on her scooter. She says she knows enough to be safe. You and I know that your biggest problem is everyone else though. All I can do is pray.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Dear Mel, I'm sorry for your wife's challenges and suffering. They sound like they could be overwhelming. You've alluded to some of those yourself. I find it inspiring that you and she ride and are enjoying your scooters. Warm wishes to you both! John
Mel46 wrote:I did want to mention that I do wear boots and jeans at least. I have a beautiful Tourmaster jacket that I will wear when it is a little cooler. I really wish my wife would get gear also but she has problems with her shoulders and also has wider hips than she use to have....thanks to a near death experience with Viox many years ago. Once upon a time she weighed in at 108 pounds, but 2 weeks after taking Viox she blew up like a marshmallow. Every joint was swollen too. Her thyroid went completely haywire, as well as blood pressure. I am glad they pulled that stuff from the market, but the damage is done and all we can do is live with it. Imagine how you would feel if your body went from 108 lb to 150 or 160 lbs with you doing absolutely nothing different from your usual. We eat healthy and stay busy, so we aren't couch potatoes. Still, all she has tried will not change what Viox did. To add to that, many years ago , while driving her small car here in Atlanta, she was hit head on by a drunk driver. More injuries. Now we just have to try to fit clothing around her injuries, which isn't easy when you can't put a lot of weight on your joints. She wears boots and gloves, and we have helmets, of course. Her pants are regular jeans, and when she wears a jacket, it is just a regular jacket, though we do wear vests with armor in them. I can only pray that she never has an accident on her scooter. She says she knows enough to be safe. You and I know that your biggest problem is everyone else though. All I can do is pray.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Sh3p wrote:The way I feel about buying gear is sort of the way I feel about buying clothes/shoes. When you can finally afford a really good/nice high end pair of shoes, they feel better, look better, get you compliments, and usually last much longer. They become kind of uncomparable to another pair unless in the same range.
I've found that to be true with most of my gear, more it costs the better it usually fit, had more creature comforts, and lasted longer (in use and in crash) than the piece it replaced. If you cant already tell im a bit of a gearslut so I've tried a bunch of stuff, settled on what i could afford that fits best.
Not to brag at all, but i never buy gear at full retail price, I wait for the season closeout at least, or perhaps hunt one on craigslist or my other rider forums.

Example: I always wanted a race jacket with a speed hump to feel how much better the ergos and aeros were. I wanted this Tech 1-R race jacket but not for $700. So i waited two seasons and sure enough, STG closed it out for $350, still pricey, but not bad for a top of the line racing jacket.
Revzilla closes items more frequently than most, i'd start there. I just got my lady a pair of Dainese D19 kevlar jeans on closeout too, (plus revzilla cash!).
High end shoes? You are spending the thick end of £3k. Why are you riding a scooter? doesn't make sense.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

you you wrote:
Sh3p wrote:The way I feel about buying gear is sort of the way I feel about buying clothes/shoes. When you can finally afford a really good/nice high end pair of shoes, they feel better, look better, get you compliments, and usually last much longer. They become kind of uncomparable to another pair unless in the same range.

High end shoes? You are spending the thick end of £3k. Why are you riding a scooter? doesn't make sense.

I don't ride the PCX, its for my lady to commute to grad school.
I ride the Daytona in the canyons/streets, and NSR50 on the track.

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

supermattyp

Post by supermattyp »

I wear a reflective HJC full face, padded mesh jacket with pads (no inner lining), blue jeans, leather shoes and no gloves. I tried but I feel like they get in the way.

I've been riding for about 8 years and only had 1 off, a 10mph lay down in wet grass. Now I mainly ride highways above 60mph so more padding was a must. Alabama roads are garbage and tiny wheels at 70mph don't make for much confidence.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Just jeans and no gloves at 60mph?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Sixty mph in jeans as a regular thing sounds like a most unpleasant accident waiting to happen....

I have taken one more step toward crustacean-hood. I got a Rev'it mesh jacket with liner last winter, and it has been great. I actually feel that it is cooler than nothing in the summer since it keeps the sun off me but lets scads of air through. My gloves are low budget Joe Rocket fabric. I don't expect they would be great in a lay down, but they are comfortable for riding in the warm weather.

I have to look business casual at work, so I have been riding with your basic khaki/twill sort of pants. A neighbor turned me onto these: http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-protekt-khakis.html They arrived a couple of days ago and went for ride yesterday. They will be warm on hot days since not much air comes through the multiple layers at the shin, but that will be fine for all but the hottest summer months. They actually do look like regular pants - the kneepad zipper is very subtle (and easily removable once off the bike). The length was, I thought, crazy long, but with the pads on the scoot, the hem is just where it belongs. So, at first blush, I'm pretty happy.

The boot thing has been a problem. I have to have boots that look like shoes. I am trying to decide between a pair of Timberland Titan Pro work-boots and a pair of Merrill Sky Realm boots. Neither are cycle-sport specific, but either should provide more protection than regular shoes. Both fit OK, but at the price, one pair has to go back. I think...
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

George, I have a website you might want to browse through, it's Zappos! So many boots, you'll get dizzy :lol: Best part? They ship both ways for free!!! Delivery and returns. I order several pairs in different sizes when I'm uncertain of which I like or which will fit. Who has This Policy Today?!! Love that! 8)
Go straight there from here >>>> http://www.zappos.com/mens-boots

We've all probably read this before: "Live to Ride, Ride to Live," Trick is to do that over and over again.
Do Your part, Dress ATGATT
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You